• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Support Our THP Military Members

One of our very active members in the growing forums and branching out into others now, MGOLD86, is a Marine and will soon be deploying with his unit. I reached out to 6 of the Professional sauce makers on THP about our adopting him during his deployment and see that he stays supplied with Sauces and such. Every one of them said I’m in which is just the kind of thing that makes this community so great. As a retired soldier I can tell you that the Tray Rations and Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) are not the most flavorful and awesome meals to eat and having some good sauce or powder available is a real morale booster. Those involved are:

Dave’s foods (DuvallDave)
Heartbreaking Dawn (Johnnie and Nicole)
Knepper’s Peppers (Justaguy)
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (LDHS)
Red Hawk Peppers (RedtailForester)
Texas Creek (salsalady)
theghostpepperstore (theghostpepperstore)

I know we have other military members and I’d like this to be a thread where we can keep up with them when and if they are deployed. MGOLD86 will be well cared for during his deployment. If you would like to do something for a military member there are sites where you can help.

AnySoldier.com
AnyMarine.com
AnySailor.com
AnyAirman.com
AnyCoastGuard.com

These sites collect care packages and forward them to military members all over. There are a few requirements such as no homemade products, sauces, baked goods etc. unless the recipient knows the sender personally and these are all explained on the website.We are a Global community so if anyone from another country would care to post support sites for their country, please do.

From all of us involved we wish Matt a safe deployment and a speedy return to his family and friends.

Just to add a bit about anysoldier.com & how they work...

I've sent care packages monthly to soldiers in harm's way about about 3 years now.

These are all "APO"s, and as such are considered domestic shipping. Which means you can use a USPS flat rate package ($5-10) and if it fits, it ships.

The site is a nonprofit, but they do ask for donations from those requesting addresses. I generally give them a couple dollars through paypal for every 5-10 addresses.

They have volunteers in units all over the place - you can request an address for a specific branch, gender, location, etc. or, like I do, you can just get a random address.

Quite often the person you address the package to is a volunteer who will then redistribute the care package within their unit. From the thank you notes I've received I can vouch that items like hot sauce get shared. :cheers:

Finally, remember that everything helps - clean socks, baby wipes (for dust) paperback books, DS or other game units, stationary (stamped) - there's a lot of downtime so it all helps. They have very little access to conveniences so snacks, playing cards, granola bars, fresh baked cookies - regardless of whether what you send is in the request list or not, its all good.

:cheers:

Thanks for posting the AnySoldier info. That is exactly the site I've been looking for to send care packages.

Be Safe, Matt. God Bless you and all our military service people...past, present and future.

last thought: these folks live in crappy conditions doing a thankless job. Sometimes just sending a letter is awesome enough - saying "thank you" and maybe telling a soldier about something totally normal happening in you neck of the woods - sometimes that's better than getting food or socks.

I know times are tight, but a letter costs what, $0.43?

everything helps. :cheers:

last thought: these folks live in crappy conditions doing a thankless job. Sometimes just sending a letter is awesome enough - saying "thank you" and maybe telling a soldier about something totally normal happening in you neck of the woods - sometimes that's better than getting food or socks.

I know times are tight, but a letter costs what, $0.43?

everything helps. :cheers:

On that note, I was just going through some old military paperwork of mine this weekend. I found several letters I received in care packages when I was deployed. They still brought a tear to my eye 6 years later. The letters are something I will keep forever.

Also, beef jerky is worth its weight in gold when you are deployed and is ALWAYS appreciated!

I am a Scoutmaster and we send stuff over to the troops all the time. You can always contact your local scout troop (girl or cub/boy) and they will help you. I have two cousins in the marines and they seem to like baby wipes and eye drops. We also send them toothbushes and paste (your dentist will give you extra if you say they are going to the troops) and my cousins favorite Girl scout cookies and Boyscout popcorn. Thank you everyone for helping our troops out.
OOHRAH!

Personally, I cannot condone sending Girl Scout Cookies to the troops over there. Hopefully things have changed, but during both of my tours we literally had cases of girl scout cookies crammed into every inch of storage space available. I cannot count the number of times I had to eat a sleeve of cookies cause I missed chow. To this day I can't look at, or smell, girl scout cookies without feeling a bit sick.

Don't get me wrong, girl scout cookies are the bomb, but I am not sure they need any MORE of them sent over there. I am sure any one of those soldiers would appreciate a letter or a photo from the scouts just as much as the cookies.

You can't go wrong, however you support them, just support them.

I was surprised to read on one of the requests from the anysoldier website, the same thing about scout cookies. They had tons of them. Just check out the requests they have linked on the site, you can read what the different units need/don't need. Some have laundry service, so they don't need cleaning supplies, others need laundry detergent.

Taking a box to the PO today, headed for Bahrain. (DANG! Just remembered I was gonna include a bag of chips! :rolleyes: guess I better re-pack that box~)

First off, I don't even know how to begin to thank everyone. It is just completely amazing to have such support from people who I have never met in person. These boards are incredibly giving, and I feel as if I have stumbled upon a place on the web where, race, religion, politics, war, and all the other slew of reasons people argue and fight are put on hold to talk about hot stuff. I would have never thought that a pepper forum would be my "happy place". And just think, it all started with a yellow scorpion...

I tell everyone I know about this place, and half of them think I am crazy and ask if it is the same as World of Warcraft. The couple dozen Marines that I am deploying with would rank this a close fourth on my list. God, family, Corps, and THP. They know it is serious when I have to go out in the middle of a briefing to check my phone becaue Jamie PROMISED to post some powder pics. But when I. came into work today and told them about the amazing thing that was organized for us here, their jaws hit the floor and finally understood.

This is ain't my first rodeo, but it is never fun leaving family. The saving grace is technology, I should be in and around the boards as much as I can, and I look forward to catching up, updating y'all and telling you how all the heat that is getting sent my way is making MREs and tray rations taste simply amazing. There will be a bottle of sauce and a smile on my face at every meal because of all of you. Thanks again you just made this deployment that much easier!

Matt

This is one of the best threads ever started here on THP.
Therefore, one of the best threads on the planet, right?

Jamie PROMISED to post some powder pics... :rofl:

Fact is, you honor all of us, Matt and all other servicemen and women.
Thanks for making the sacrifices you do. Much, much, MUCH RESPECT.
God bless~

Thank you for the links, and keeping this awareness up.

The crazy thing is, when we chileheads read the line "because Jamie PROMISED to post some powder pics...." we're all like...Oh Yea, I'd ditch a meeting for pics of pepper powder! :crazy: aren't we!

MGold, they may not fully understand until the goods arrive, and they finally realize there is sauce beyond Tapatios...

Anyway, we're with you, bro~

And, as a side benefit from this thread, a few maybe non-chileheads service people will be getting some hot stuff. :cool:

Great thread Bill. We need a few more million people like yourself. :fireball:

Brother Matt. Lots of prayers and powders are heading your way :party:

Just let me know when you get low and" bammm "powder will be coming!!!

what a seriously awesome thread! I'm swinging by the post office on the way home to pick up a FRB for a cousin who is in Afghanistan right now. First time sending something over there. Glad I didn't stuff it full of Girl Scout Cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really, I knew about the baby wipes for the bo bo but I hadn't thought of eye drops. Really good to know. MGOLD86 you take care man!

Wooohoo! I love this. Great way for us to help a military members days go a little smoother with enhancing food! Thank you for letting us be a part of it :o)

Good luck Matt, remember when youre away we're here appreciating what youre doing!

xo Nicole

Back