• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

Thought it was time for a proper thread.
So what's everyone growing this year and what are your favorites? I still have to go through mine for 2008 but I'll make a list soon. Just like peppers, too many varieties to choose from.:)

I think we have decided to cut back a little.

I plan to grow:
Bob hill's 3 mile wonder Roma
Petty Petrovich's patented 3 bud tom tom Cherry
1 Heirloom red and yellow Cat scatch bavarian.

......just kidding, I realize that you are all much more of conniseurs than me and I became ashamed of my simple "1 cherry, 1 roma, and one heirloom" post!lol

This year:
Amish Rose (heirloom)
Summer Cider (heirloom)
Omar's Lebanese (heirloom)
Haven't decided on my cherry tomato varieties yet, but usually use Tomato Growers, Cooks Garden, or Nichols Garden Nursery....they're all good.

I keep thinking I've decided, then a new catalog comes in, and I commence to fondling. Next thing you know, I've got a couple of new varieties on my grow list.

I've started my Stupice tomatoes, they're the best early tomatoes I've ever found, and I've tried several of the others. They're hardy and the flavor is great.

I will be growing Tropic, Rose, Stump of the World, Brandywine, Mule Team, Eva Purple Ball, Uncle Mark Bagby, Top Gun Hybrid(TSWV resistant), Bella Rosa Hybrid(TSWV resistant), and um...I forget. I will be growing Yellow Current whether I want to or not, cause it comes up all over the garden.

Has anyone ever tried Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red? It tempts me, but I was looking for some feedback first. Tomato Growers Supply describes it as "2 to 16 ounce beefsteak fruit has intensely red skin and flesh. This is the kind of delicious, juicy tomato to eat over the sink or out in the garden where the juices can run freely. Sturdy vines with good disease resistance bear very abundantly. Indeterminate. 92 days."

Stump of the World is excellent, so is Big Rainbow
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red really does sound tempting, and TGS's descriptions are pretty accurate...I'm sure its worth a try.

This is pretty much it with probably a few more additions.

Cherries/small: Patio F Hybrid, Redrobin, Florida basket, Sungold
Paste: Opalka,
Large: Omar's Lebanese, Supersteak hybrid, Zogola
Others: German red strawberry, Powers heirloom

I used to always grow the Silvery Fur Tree, but all it has to do is hear someone say "Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus" and it dies. Now that I have the *spit* thrip situation under better control, maybe I should try it again.

They don't grow the best for me either but Its a favorite of one of my buddies who I supply plants to.
Pam, how did the Marianna's Peace turn out for you last season?

POTAWIE said:
They don't grow the best for me either but Its a favorite of one of my buddies who I supply plants to.
Pam, how did the Marianna's Peace turn out for you last season?

Poorly. They seemed to have no disease resistance whatsoever. If any plant in the garden had a problem, the Marianna's Peace tomatoes had it, too. Most of the tomatoes the vines produced split after a heavy rain or had blossom end rot. Won't grow them again.

The other one I grew last year that really disappointed me was the Black Cherry tomatoes. They grew well enough, but the tomatoes had very little flavor.

I didn't like the flavor of the black cherry too much either, but this is a favorite of another friend that I supply to. It was very productive for me.
Another one I forgot to mention was the Principe Borghese which is great for sun drying and apparently bruschetta too.

POTAWIE said:
I didn't like the flavor of the black cherry too much either, but this is a favorite of another friend that I supply to. It was very productive for me.
Another one I forgot to mention was the Principe Borghese which is great for sun drying and apparently bruschetta too.

Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets roped into growing things for friends. People show up here in the lab sometimes with packs of seeds which they will generously share with me if I'll grow them.

Copied from a Pepper Thread:
I'm trying a few different tomatoes this year, as I like to can them - either whole of as juice.
From RareSeeds.com:
Roma
Beefsteak
Delicious
Jersey Giant
From Tomatogrowers.com:
Bulgarian
Giant Belgium
German Pink

Last year, I canned 120 quarts of juice and 20 quarts of whole tomatoes. I would have doubled that, but a late summer drought with intense heat (for our area) did them in. Plus, I didn't stake them, which I will this year, though I may need to use trees to hold up the Bulgarians and Belgiums.

Mike

I heard the Delicious isn't very delicious just big but I've never tried it personally. I think it is still the record holder for largest tomato variety.

Potawie,

For eating whole tomatoes, the family loves Romas. I like the Delicious and Beefsteak for juice - Romas are almost as useless and Cherries for this. The only reason for a couple of the types is that I'm heavily involved with the local county fair and would love to exhibit a 5-pound tomato. I even canned a couple quarts and pints of yellow tomato juice - I'm planning on fixing some chili in some in the near future.

Mike

i don't exactly have my list finalised yet, i know i'm growing bonny best for smaller early producing tomatoes, and mum demands large tomatoes so i'll probably end up with beefsteak cuz i haven't found anything else that sounds as reliable for my kind of season.
For cherries i already bought these cute little red pears, last year i did tiny tim so that might be in there even tho i said all heirlooms, and i wanna find a yellow cherry too. just for fun i was gonna do a yellow brandywine but it just doesn't sound right for my climate so maybe green zebra, or i might scrap the 'fun' section altogether.
i'm also only doing one variety of eggplant (as opposed to last years five...) and that's diamond.

This will be my first year for growing tomatoes from seed and I have traded some pepper seeds for a number of tom seeds could I get you guys to give me some input on this list I am not sure which ones I am going to grow yet but probably around ten varieties. Could i also get everyone to put thier top three to five toms that they grow I think that would be interesting to find out some of the top tomatoes.

Marianna's Peace
Omar's Lebanese
Black Krim
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Kelloggs Breakfast
Hugh's
Biggun's
Great White
Mortgage Lifter
Snow White
Red Barn
Evergreen
Costoluto Genovese
Ailsa Craig
Tidwell German
Polish

Dale

Will only have 6-7 tomato plants in my caged area and the Tomato Seeds I have are:

Moneymaker from Thompson and Morgan

Ferline F1 Hybrid from Thompson and Morgan

Marianna's Peace from Tomato Growers (now what did I read in another thread about Marianna's peace above....they were a disease magnet?)

OK...should I get some more seeds in case the Marianna's peace don't work for me too? If so.....suggestions?

I hope, that come September, everyone will post the results of their experience and how the tomatoes turned out. Specifically:
Number of fruits
Resistance to heat and disease
Juiciness
Taste
How they taste when harvested green (my wife loves, and I mean loves, Fried Green Tomatoes. Put them in flour and fry them, then let her cover them with as much sugar as she wants, and she is in 7th Heaven.

Mike

Cherry:
1)sungold
2)Hawaiian Currant
3)Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato

Big :
4)Ugly Tomato
5)Costoluto Genovese Tomato
6)Omar's Lebanese
7)Marmande
8)Kellogg's Breakfast

Early :
8)Stupice
9)Sophie's Choice

Exotic :
10)Green Zebra

Black :
11)Cherokee Chocolate
12)Black from Tula

Maybe :
Orange Cherry
brandywine
white queen
black krim

Would trade for :
----------------
eva purple ball
black cherry
Opalka
banana red (forgot the name)
Aunt Ruby’s German Green

how the hell will I grow all those seedlings?:(

thepodpiper said:
This will be my first year for growing tomatoes from seed and I have traded some pepper seeds for a number of tom seeds could I get you guys to give me some input on this list I am not sure which ones I am going to grow yet but probably around ten varieties. Could i also get everyone to put thier top three to five toms that they grow I think that would be interesting to find out some of the top tomatoes.

Marianna's Peace
Omar's Lebanese
Black Krim
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Kelloggs Breakfast
Hugh's
Biggun's
Great White
Mortgage Lifter
Snow White