• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I need help designing a grow space.

Hey all,

I will be moving in three weeks and I really need some help in designing my new space. I have basement room with about a 14 x 14 foot room.

I plan on hanging up mylar on two walls and utilizing a 8 by 8 foot area.

I plan on utilizing 1 1000w MH; will this be enough light to keep my plant flowering?

Should I bring my plants from outside indoors, I have had an on going aphid problem.

I plan on utilizing granular ferts in 5 gallon soil pots; how many plant should I put in an area this size ?

I plan on on rigging a drip system as my grow space has a faucet.

I plan on using box fans to move air around.

What do people think ? What am I not considering ?

Your plenty good with this setup. Try and get the aphids off and if they develop indoors buy some ladybugs like i did and they will be gone in no time. You should be able to fit about 10 10 12 plants in that much space. Your plants will flower under mh. Make sure your moving old air out and new air in. This was a big problem that i had. Your temps should be perfect down there to grow year round. If you can buy a fan that sucks the heat off that light that would be great. My hps lights have these and i suck the air off them making my room much cooler. I'm using 5 gallon pots also. I will update my glog tonight to show u my new setup so you can get some ideas.

I used a single light, that was eight T5 bulbs 400watts, to grow 3 fairly large plants to full maturity until flowering my plants were living under dual bulb T8 unit and they were flowering but dropping flowers, and lower growth was dying because of lack of light.

your probably ok with 4 large un pruned plants and just prune them, smaller to fit more so you have the right power/lumens per square foot for the canopys.

willard3 has posts in the lighting section that shows the right requirements for the canopy sizes/requirements

I'm starting my plants in a few days, until a certain size I'm just using my T8 flourescents.

I would switch your MH light to HPS when they start to flower... You will see much better results. You can get conversion bulbs if you just have a MH balllast. Also with a 1000W I would stick to a 6x6 area for optimal lighting with the light about 18"ish from the plant.

That amount of space, a faucet close, I personally wouldn't bother with dirt.
Considered hydro?
Born and raised in Spokane, so you might consider having the HPS on hand even if using MH for those frosty winters. The red spectrum tends to heat up by infra red on surrounding areas.

Back