• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chilli Powder

1. First i cut them in half. Then I remove any seeds that are not stuck to the placenta.

2. Second I dehydrate at 100 degrees for about 5 days . Some times more .Depend on how thick the peppers walls are.

3 . Last I grind them into a fine powder. I do not think the seeds change the flavor .

If it's dried enough to be crisp and you put it in a dry, tightly sealed container, I don't think you'll have any problems. I never have.

If it's dried enough to be crisp and you put it in a dry, tightly sealed container, I don't think you'll have any problems. I never have.
I have never had clumping until I went to fine powder. I look the same ground stuff and put it in coffee grinder and it clumped a tad where before doing that no clumping. I have moved to a method of really only grinding on order to make it as fresh as possible, like fresh ground pepper. :)

I keep my stuff in new never been used 32oz pickling jars or in cases where I have too much 1 gallon jars. It may have nothing to do with coffee grinder at all but it is the only new part in the process. I'll figure it out, not too worried. Thanks for the input and I agree, I dehydrate until the pepper is crisp and crumbles.

Sounds like you got it down. Now try mixing them up to perfection. I don't use store pepper any more at all in my cooking. I use the really hot ones for my Jamaican jerk rub, habanero flakes (just put the dried habs in a baggie and crush them up), and a mix of milds and hots (habs, wax, thais, jalapeno, serrano, italian long hots, & cherry) for all-purpose table pepper. It doesn't take alot of peppers, or work to make better seasonings than you can buy in stores. It's also a great way to use up those peppers...

IMAG0699_zpsa7b17c74.jpg

Not too bad for my first go. a little clumping but breaks up quite easily.

i had some dehydrated onion that i added, maybe thats why it clumped slightly. tried some on a slice of leftover pizza for lunch and im loving it. nothing like tasting the fruits of your own labor. especially when it has a pleasant flavor with moderate heat.

You could always dehydrate it some more and remove the excess moisture that still remains. If your dehydrator came with a fruit roll-up tray or something similar that works great for powders. It does have a great color!

no dehydrator, dried my peppers after tying a rista. hung in window for several weeks.

that bit of moisture wont spoil the powder will it?

Back