beer Homebrew Wednesday

Dude, you didn't use a raking cane and hose for the wheat beer? Looks like you just oxygenated the piss out of it. I was always told that's bad juju. Hope it turns out well for you.

Dude, you didn't use a raking cane and hose for the wheat beer? Looks like you just oxygenated the piss out of it. I was always told that's bad juju. Hope it turns out well for you.

It will be fine, a little aeration doesn't seem to have any ill effects at this stage in it's development. I'd imagine because it's already so saturated with CO2. Anyway, I've been doing it like this for a while now, and haven't had a batch go bad yet.

no dude

you DID just oxygenate the piss out of it

its going to taste like cardboard, and if you havent tasted it before, well then you need to really take a look at your beers and compare them to commercial ones of the same styles

also, every single one of your beers is the same color, doesnt that bother you at all?

not to mention you are using flourscent light in your room there, and have none of your beers covered whatsoever, which is just begging for lightstruck beers, which you probably have and dont even realize it

kudos for brewing your own beer, thats how I started too, but dude, there are a lot of things you need to change if you want to make better beers

no dude

you DID just oxygenate the piss out of it

its going to taste like cardboard, and if you havent tasted it before, well then you need to really take a look at your beers and compare them to commercial ones of the same styles

also, every single one of your beers is the same color, doesnt that bother you at all?

not to mention you are using flourscent light in your room there, and have none of your beers covered whatsoever, which is just begging for lightstruck beers, which you probably have and dont even realize it

kudos for brewing your own beer, thats how I started too, but dude, there are a lot of things you need to change if you want to make better beers

Almost none of my beers are the same color, although the four ales I've shot video of are similar. The witbier is much much lighter. The beer is getting aerated and absorbing some oxygen doubtless, but the beer never tastes oxidized. I know what oxidized beer tastes like and it's not happening with my method, it works it's way out. Either remnant yeast eat it up or it's displaced by CO2 in the beer that's freshly finished with fermentation and co2 saturated. Vintners do this intentionally with wine to agitate the CO2 out of it, inadvertently I'm sure they "oxygenate the piss out of it", but having a long anaerobic secondary tends to ensure it comes out fine.

All of my beer stays covered and the lights are off all the time unless I'm working with it or shooting a video.
covered.jpg

Look Wheebs, I've appreciated your advice in the past, but you need to give me a little credit. I respect your education and your experience in the industry, but your dichotomous view on 'the correct way to brew' can be a little narrow minded and unforgiving. You really shouldn't be judging my process anyway without tasting the beer.

I would love to try some, and I would be more than willing to pay for the shipping to do so.

And yes, you are right, vintners DO aerate similar, not exactly, but similar

Wanna know why?

Because they dont have iso-humulones from hops in their wine that will oxydize .....

Look man, I might be opinionated, and I might be direct and hard-ass about some stuff, but I am also more than willing to help fix the problem

I have been doing this for a long time, and have won awards in homebrewing as well as professionally. I am just letting you know there are better ways of doing what you are doing, that are still cheap and super effective.

And if you didn't want someone judging your process, why would you make a video about it and put it on the internet for everyone to see? Kind of backwards productive if you ask me.

Wish I still had time to homebrew, I brewed my first batch more than 20 years ago. Back than it was more a black art and we had to make or salvage/kludge all our equipment. My brother the A/C tech was instrumental in my wort chiller and custom cooler/fridge. I remember when the brew catalogs (Yeah there was no internet and we rode Dinosaurs) first offered liquid yeast, It was like Nirvana!

I would love to try some, and I would be more than willing to pay for the shipping to do so.

And yes, you are right, vintners DO aerate similar, not exactly, but similar

Wanna know why?

Because they dont have iso-humulones from hops in their wine that will oxydize .....

Look man, I might be opinionated, and I might be direct and hard-ass about some stuff, but I am also more than willing to help fix the problem

I have been doing this for a long time, and have won awards in homebrewing as well as professionally. I am just letting you know there are better ways of doing what you are doing, that are still cheap and super effective.

And if you didn't want someone judging your process, why would you make a video about it and put it on the internet for everyone to see? Kind of backwards productive if you ask me.

Isohumulone is catalyzed by riboflavin into free radical species in the presence of light or heat; not oxygen. Oxygen can react to any number of aldehyde / acetate compounds to cause flavor defects, none of which are particularly noticeable in my pale ale. I apologize if I'm being being overly sensitive. I got the impression you sort of skimmed through and didn't really watch the whole video before you picked apart my whole brewing method. It really is pretty good beer. I'm not saying I couldn't make it better, I'm just saying I know what things taste like, I've been racking this way for a while, and i only slightly oxygenated the piss out of it, so little piss in fact that the beer still tastes delicious. PM me your mailing address I'd love to send you some.

Wish I still had time to homebrew, I brewed my first batch more than 20 years ago. Back than it was more a black art and we had to make or salvage/kludge all our equipment. My brother the A/C tech was instrumental in my wort chiller and custom cooler/fridge. I remember when the brew catalogs (Yeah there was no internet and we rode Dinosaurs) first offered liquid yeast, It was like Nirvana!

greenman no big deal making your own sparking wine/beer. Fruit wine is a lot easier to make then cereal based beer and it will have a great flavors from the fruits that you can not get from cereal. Very little mess and fuss or time needed.

You need a large pot to boil water,fruit, and whole hops (not pellets), peptic enzyme; a plastic food grade 5 gal pail that you can get from a bakery and a aquarium net. If you get a pail with a lid then you can cut a hole in it to receive a water lock but it also works well with a plastic bag over the pail to keep out the fruit flies.

You can make wine/beer out of anything that is editable; peach; pear; apple; kiwi, apple, bananas, tomatoes; or all berries as well, except avocado which has high fat. You can also make it from grains as well but so far I have not done so. If you are making wine/beer out of soft berries like strawberries get about 3 quarts and boil 3 gallons of water and put the berries in the hot water to keep the bad stuff from growing. If they have leaves or tops or stems on them remove them or the wine/beer will be medicine tasting. For for all other fruit just chop them up into quarters and boil them with the water and then add 8 lbs of sugar.

When the water is cooled to 90 degrees throw some grocery store bread yeast and pectic enzyme in the water/fruit and cover it up or seal it and let it sit for 3-5 days. Then open it up and throw a hand full of hops in and let it sit for another couple days. Open it up and scoop out the fruit/berries and cover it back up for 5-7 days---OR----rack it off into a 5 gal carboy and add water to the top for both. Drink it after the 5-7 days.

If you don't drink too fast you will need to get a enclosed refrigerated tapping system which is available on the net but if you drink it in a few days no problem just dripping and drinking out of the pail.

This works well for me and tastes fine. Experiment with different fruits and hops---it is fun and great for parties.

Back