• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Light Question

I live in a hot area, so indoor lighting is only to take seedlings to first transplant after which they will live outside - I'm just kick-starting Spring I guess.

I have seedling trays on shelving, which prevents the use of MH and similar lighting, and I have used normal shop fluorescent tubing to good effect. However, my system is old and I am considering LEDs, but no-one in my area seems to really know what they are talking about. You usually just get pointed at a shelf and left to your own devices.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? My shelves are 12 x 36" and are four high. I have two stands of shelves, side by side....

I would get a fluorescent 2 foot 4 bulb setup, like i have pictured below.

Dm48A.jpg

You can get these at any local hydroponic store or you could get it online. From here or here.

L8
Hydro

I was considering LED's as well but they are a bit pricey, and i guess from the research i have done is that each diode is different from the next so its harder to get consistent lumen out put. LED lights have come a long way in a technological aspect but i'm saving my money for when the technology advances a little bit more.

Yep, looks yoo nanny mouse.

I read Omri's 101 on lighting which stated that LEDs are a good option, but not the best, and was hoping someone who has used them might confirm either way.

Their inconsistency will be a big problem out here too - we get the leftovers from Europe and our technology is sometimes waaaay behind the civilised world.

Bloody wiring on the fluoros drives me batty, though...!

Agreed, but A. I need them only until second pot-up, not continually, and
B. I am working with shelving, so the HIDs will miss 70% or more, Willard

My panels are too light.They don't hang well/easily.
What the problem is ,is the plants are too small.
Lights will be in the way.
With the bigger plant I hung lights vertically far away so they weren't a hassle- pic above.Unless you looked at them...

I'm still assembling panels that will be covering shelves.Shelves are 18in X 4ft. and the LEDS will be about 19-24in away ,mounted permanently overhead and on 3 sides vertically with mylar in front so I don't get blinded whenever I walk into the room.

More of the last plant before mites killed it.Carlos Cancun Habanero.

PICT2126.jpg

PICT2117.jpg

Back