• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Black Scorpion Jelly

I've been busy this week creating pepper jellies, so I thought I'd share some recipes.

This is a hot one! It's an alteration of a recipe found in the Ball Blue Book on canning

Black Scorpion Jelly

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups of blackberry juice - from 3 quarts of blackberries
  • 2 cups of red scorpions, halved, cored, and seeds removed
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 box powdered pectin
Instructions:
  • The first step is to make the berry juice. Put the 3 quarts of blackberries in a pot and add about 1 1/2 cups of water.
  • cover and simmer until the fruit is soft.
  • Use a strainer and drain out juice - should have 3 1/2 cups (at least).
  • I use a food processor to chop up the scorpions.
  • Mix together the juice, peppers, lemon juice, and pectin.
  • Bring to a boil over high heat.
  • Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
  • Return to a hard boil for 1 minute.
  • Begin to test how well it will set (put a few drops on a plat, put in freezer for a half minute and see if it is setting.)
  • Pack in sterilized jars. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Here's the fruit and a mean looking pepper

blackscorp.jpg

Here are the scorpions halved and seeds removed. 1 cup would probably be just fine, actually.

scorpready.jpg

Finished product on left:

jelly.jpg

Wonderful heat. Enjoy!

And if you liked this recipe, check out my aji lemon pepper jelly, Hot Cherry-Currant jelly, or my peach habanero jelly!

A twist on this is one I just made a few days ago based on what I have seen on your list.  I got a bunch of Black Congos from Judy at Pepper lover, and I had a bunch of frozen Blackberries that I have picked over the past few years, since they grow wild all over the place here in the Pacific Northwest.

It made up a batch that ended up with about 1.5 congos per half pint and it is great on toast in the morning. Who need coffee after that!
Thanks for the idea

Awesome, Andy! I just got finished with a take on this, with 7-Pot Primos I got from Dan (Dshlogg) and Cortland apples and lemon juice (fresh squeezed!) from 4 lemons. Can't wait to try it!

Hendrix1326 said:
Awesome, Andy! I just got finished with a take on this, with 7-Pot Primos I got from Dan (Dshlogg) and Cortland apples and lemon juice (fresh squeezed!) from 4 lemons. Can't wait to try it!

How did this one turn out?  Sounds like a great combination!

Pulpiteer said:

How did this one turn out?  Sounds like a great combination!

Awesome! I gave a couple jars to my neighbor, and he said it was great as a glaze for pork tenderloin. I have yet to try that, but it is great on toast! Pretty good heat level, but I thought it was still quite manageable.

Just used this recipe. My wife doesn't like really hot food so I used 1 1/2 cups of Trinidad scorpion sweets instead of regular scorps. Tried a bit that was left in the pot after bottling, and holy crap it's good! Not much heat due to the seeded sweet scorps, but the flavour rocks. Get the blackberry flavour to start, then the pepper flavour comes through at the end. Great recipe Pulpiteer!

Back