• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment First BBQ Sauce... :)

Hey,
Just finished my first BBQ sauce... was much easier then I thought... I followed the following recipe:

1 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1 cup cider vinegar
1 lemon
1.5 tsp. paprika
1.5 tsp. ground mustard
1 Bay Leaf
1 med. onion, diced
1 head roasted garlic, peeled and choped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
12 Red/Orange Habs/Scotch Bonnets
6 Lemon Drops
2 Chocolate Fatili's
1 Can of diced tomatos
1.5 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce - use a bit more
1 tsp. salt

Mix together the vinegars and spices in a saucepan, and over medium heat reduce by half. In a large pan, saute onion and garlic lightly in the olive oil until soft. Add the brown sugar and stir in the molasses. Reduce slightly, and then add the vinegar mixture, peppers, tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook slowly over low heat for about 1 hour. Strain through a medium sieve, pressing out the juices of the onion and garlic.

I think I turned out pretty good and yielded about 2 cups of sauce. I tasted after it was done and it def. has a nice kick. Will taste tomorrow after its cooled to and use it on my steak. Any comments on the recipe? anything you would add?

--James

I did replace some of the spices (clove, coriander, all spice) with the paprika and mustard... Added the lemon just for kicks... also cut the brown sugar in half because I don't like super sweet sauce... Just took another taste and it starts a little sweet than the heat kicks in... very nice burn :). In your opinion what would your sauce recipe look like?

Myself? I wouldnt AD anything.
Pick one Vinegar, and one sugar.

There are alot of ingredients going on there. BBQ sauce is better kept simple. IMO

and just WTH are you doing putting that on STEAK?!?!?!?!?!?

Good job maing! If you like it, I dig it! :cheers:

In your opinion what would your sauce recipe look like?

Off the top of my head...

2 C Ketchup
2 TBs Yellow mustard
1/4 C Cider Vinegar
1/4 C Brown Sugar
2 TBs Whiskey
2 Cloves Garlic
2 TBs Lemon Juice
1/2 C Pickled Penos
1 whole Trinidad Scorpion

Simmer for an hour, then motor boat is ( stick blender)

[sup]yea, mustard on steak DESERVES flack~[/sup]

[sup]:lol: [/sup]

[sup]good job for your fist sauce. if you like it, then it's all good~ :cool:[/sup]

What the hail this is for steak?

No comment. Okay comments. Good steak needs no sauce. A less-marbled cut like filet needs a sauce, like au poivre. THAT IS IT!!!! The only other sauce for steak is mushrooms sauteed in wine which is not really a sauce.

But BBQ sauce??? Oh hail no!

What the hail this is for steak?

No comment. Okay comments. Good steak needs no sauce. A less-marbled cut like filet needs a sauce, like au poivre. THAT IS IT!!!! The only other sauce for steak is mushrooms sauteed in wine which is not really a sauce.

But BBQ sauce??? Oh hail no!

Tell us how you really feel Patron! :rofl:

sounds pretty tasty.

if you like mustard you should try a mustard bbq sauce, its one of my favs.

heres a basic recipe to start with. you can adjust the sugar and of course pepper to your liking.

by Paul Kirk:
2 cups yellow mustard
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbls unsalted butter
2 tbls dark corn syrup
2 tbls fresh lemon juice
1 tbls worcestershire sauce
1 ts cayenne pepper

sounds pretty tasty.

if you like mustard you should try a mustard bbq sauce, its one of my favs.

heres a basic recipe to start with. you can adjust the sugar and of course pepper to your liking.

by Paul Kirk:
2 cups yellow mustard
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbls unsalted butter
2 tbls dark corn syrup
2 tbls fresh lemon juice
1 tbls worcestershire sauce
1 ts cayenne pepper

I think I will try this :)

Back