• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrator ?

I have some pods I picked up and wanted to save the seeds out of. Will it hurt the seeds to dry the pods in the dehydrator? Also should I cut them in half before putting them in. Thanks

Jason

I would remove the seeds before putting in the dehydrator. I just slice them in half then remove the seeds and put them skin sides down into the dehydrator. :dance:

I'm fairly new, but here's what I've learned so far. From what I understand, anything over 105 can damage the seeds. Less than that and it takes several days to dry. If I'm trying to save the seeds, I'll put the dehydrator on its lowest setting. On my machine, that's 95, which is the temp they like growing at anyway. Anything you can't dry hanging on a string in your window, would be well served by cutting in half to ensure complete drying. Insufficient drying leads to premature spoilage.

De seed first. Use only the best ripe pods.
Bonus----taste each one.

I will choose the pods, write a description of each on a separate envelope or paper lunch bag, cut each one in 1/2-deseed-taste a slice-slide into appropriate bag-put in a partially sunny spot for a week or so.

By tasting, I can add any thoughts to the description on the bag.

Work from the mildest to the hottest, as if you try the other way, your taste buds are soon fried.

Thanks for the input. I will take the seeds out before dehydrating. Just was not sure what way to go. Any more tips?

Take seeds out first if using heat to dry. Drying depends on the type of pod. Cayennes and tepins/pequins etc. will air dry very well. When I dehydrate I usually dry pods whole, but with an incision to let out moisture. This way I can fit twice as many pods on the racks, and to me dry pods seem to look better whole.

When drying if you want to preserve the color use less than around 110 degrees - once you start getting above that the color of the pods will change when dehydrating - so if color is important use a lower setting (takes longer but preserves color ) - if color is not important then higher temp is fine after removing seeds you want to keep.

Back