event 2012 Northwest Chilefest- official thread

salsalady

Business Member
Well, Gang, the weekend is finally here! After 10 months and 20 pages of discussions, today's the day!

The sun is up, the boys are not, the coffee is on, shower is running, truck is packed, butts are rubbed, buns handled, pods are chillin', and it's time to HEAT THINGS UP at the Kanasket-Palmer State Park!

I'm going to ask the Mods to lock the other thread, Let's post our pics and stories here.

See y'all soon!

Apparently the state park doesn't have wifi.

My Wife and I are about to head out to check out crime scene.
Figured I'd go check up on everyone and make sure nobodys been hospitalized from capsaicin overdose :lol:

We'll be back this evening so I'll try to post an update tonight for everyone :party:

Just got back, wish we didn't have to leave!

My Wife and I had an amazing time! Great people, food, powders, pods, sauces, beer, you name it! Absolutely epic.
Wish everyone here on THP could have been there!

I think in the 5hours I was there I saw 2000 pictures taken and quite a few videos :party: :dance:
So there will be some serious posting this Sunday and Monday I'm sure of it.

It was awesome to see/meet everyone and spend the day with you all.
HUGE thanks goes out to everyone involved that made this thing happen. Present or not. Thanks for everything. :D
I can't wait til the next one!

Also, it's been a few hours since I ate anything hot and my stomach is still VERY pissed off at me. :lol: :onfire:

GOOD TIMES.
:cheers:

Edit:

Ann,
Pure Evil is indeed Pure Evil. It's 11.20PM and I still feel like I could run a marathon.
I don't even like running but that's all I want to do! lol.
I'm still buzzin 7-8 hours later. I feel like I drank 33 gallons of coffee. Really?!
I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. lol.
Good stuff :D

Scovie,
I finally regained an appetite after the PureEvil Challenge once we got home and had one of your pulled pork sandwichs.. Then I went back for another! MONEY. Hit it out of the park buddy! Thank you very much. Once again, good to meet you guys!

Hope the rest of the weekend treats you all well.

My pictures are coming now...

The 3rd Annual Pacific Northwest Chilifest was really excellent! The camping grounds was beautiful and very peaceful. My wife and I were not one of the over-niters - we were day trippers. NEXT year we are planning on camping.

Ann, JuJu, Scoville, all involved did an incredible job! First off the table of PAIN - 49+ varieties of chili peppers (mostly super hots), HOT sauces, HOT powders... total spice insanity! :hell:

Ann (SL) held the 1st ever PURE EVIL challenge... incredible!!! I've never seen such pain... the challenge ended in a tie... this was truly a pure evil event!!! I'll be posting a video of this challenge soon.

Lunch was also excellent - Scoville made a most amazing smoked pork, and piled within a bun with a virtually unlimited sauce selection - BBQ at its BEST. Sides were baked beans, rice and beans, pasta salad, potato salad - all really good. Desserts included Pure Evil brownies, pretzel pie - a standout dessert!

It was wonderful hanging out with fellow chili heads - you're all awesome!

And now some pictures:

49+ varieties of chili peppers...
c5c657696faa1fa1008ff1f46d423866.jpg

The table of PAIN...
3c7a02cabdce1d38311d02c814b6dbb6.jpg

And more...

Ann's scratch-n-dent table...
223ac59ddada7d73e705ddfde741c8b4.jpg

7b37a839ac036187cf70dba9fb6f5c0f.jpg

591ef8d8502da7a375f9a92bbf2c0431.jpg

Pure Evil Challenge...

Ann setting up the evil challenge

cc22cf7361b1ee77fb8286f17c7217ed.jpg

Pure Evil challenge contestants wondering what they got themselves into! :lol:

07822e3750aa1a7df2ee4e4b8ecd1736.jpg

The winners... composed for the challenge victory shot! wait until the video!

5cfe13331d277fe6947f8c311350b4d7.jpg

It's said that a picture is worth a 1000 words... here, 1000 pictures wouldn't capture how wonderful and awesome this event was.

Thanks to all for the HOT memories! :cheers:

Home safe and sound at about 3:00. Getting unpacked and then will try
to upload pics and add more to this post besides...

...AWESOMMMMMMMME getting to meet all the great NWPackers and families this weekend!
And thanks to Ann for taking the point on this one - great job of coordinating
and managing. There are many more thanks due, but I felt like I had to get
this one out now. Will check back into the thread later!

Hope everyone else made it home safe and sound.

First off, THANK YOU!!! to everyone for all the help and support. Everyone who offered to bring something brought it, and more. And there were always helping hands for anything and everything. All I have to say is....PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK!

We had a good trip over on Friday, Scovie and CJ, myself, Salsakid and friends were the first one there, and it was a gorgeous day in a gorgeous park. Mega was right behind us, and later in the afternoon the rest of the gang started checking in.

The official roster is-
Campers-
Salsalady, Salsakid and friends
Scovie & Chile Juju
MegaSpokaneMan and his lovely lady (soon to be THP member)
Jerret and his lovely wife and 2 girls (soon to be THP member)
Walt and his lovely wife (kittyinpjs)
habaneroheat81, Anthony and Jeremia (soon to be THP members)
nmorris and Martin (soon to be THP member, more about Martin soon!)
PaulG
onefowl1 and son (This kid is a CHILEHEAD! more on him also :lol:)
hawkeye and Rory (did I get that right??????) (soon to be THP member)

Day-Trippers
DuvallDave and his lovely wife (DAVE! Why isn't your lovely a THP member?!??? :lol: )
MegaHot and his lovely wife
BigCedar and his lovely wife
JasonB and his lovely lady

I'll come back and edit as I remember and look at pics. I'm a little brain-fried after saying up until 2am lastnight, and then the trip home~~~ :crazy:

So, on Friday evening, most everyone was there by 6-7:00 and the party started. The previous campers in our camp spot were kind enough to leave some firewood so the boys had a fire going right away. One of Evan's friends, Bryce, has been bugging me for a bottle of Pure Evil if he ate one drop and didn't hurl. Well, it turns out that Tristan (onefowl1's son, age 8) is quite the chilehead also. We did an impromptu challenge with the 2 boys and Jerret got in on the action also. Bryce did 2 drops and Tristan did one drop, and then they both sat for 2 minutes with no milk. WIN! So they both got a bottle of Pure Evil for thiern efforts.

Friday dinner was some ham sammies, and pasta salad, just casual at the campsite. nmorris and Jerret got the keg(s) on line and I hear, the party went on until 3:30-ish.

Scovie and CJ were up at 6am to get them big butts in the smoker. Just wait for the pics....Oh, BABY! And Thanks, Jerret, for that cayenne-vodka Bloody Mary! That hit the spot.

Duval Dave already posted some picnic pics, and there will be MANY more coming. All my pics stink, so I'll the others fill in the blanks. nmorris's buddy Martin (from California) is a professional photographer and he'll be posting here or a link to a file or something. It'll be worth the wait!

Quick word about the Pure Evil challenge-
The challenge was set up with 10 kernels of popcorn, each kernel had one drop of Pure Evil on it. We started the challenge and they ate one kernel every 15 seconds. Amazingly, I think everyone was still in it after the initial 10 kernels. So, I made some more, and started adding 2 drops, 3 drops, and finally 4 drops per kernel. What we found out was that eating the kernels that fast didn't allow the body/mouth time to react to the capsaicin. After 2-3 minutes, people were starting to react to it, and as Brandon said, he was still feeling it hours later. So we'll have to come up with a different idea for next year, there've been a couple of good suggestions...

You'll see their reactions in the videos so I'll just leave it at that.

Lunch was some delicious pulled pork that Scovie totally rocked outa the park, and the sides were perfect for the pork. Chile Juju got the tables, and us, blinged out with some caliente chile bandanas and chile beads. We were right on the Green River, so the kids...and a couple adults...went swimming and playing in the water. Nova (jerret/missy's girl) and Tristan were inseperable, and totally adorable as they were covered in dirt from head to toe.

HH81's bro-in-law Anthony tried one drop of Pure Evil before lunch, and then 2 drops after lunch. He did really good, handling the heat well, considering he's never ever eaten anything hot. Well Done!

We have to give a super thank you and Shout Out to Silver Surfer, Justaguy and Sthsquatch for send out fresh pods for us horticulturally challenged northwest growers. And the sauces were Rockin'! More on those later~

Saturday night we all ended up at Scovie & CJ's campsite, watching HH81 make his outdoor pizza. What a fun time just hanging out a talking with everyone. The kegs were in attendance, and about 10:00pm, HH81 was finishing up his pizza so we re-heated some of the pulled pork, slapped out the sauces and other leftovers and had a great late night dinner. I think we all got to taste some of the pizza.....(no more on that!!!!! You'll have to check out the TD thread....)....just one word.......WOW!

I think Saturday wrapped up around 2am, at least in our campsite.....

Sunday morning was biscuits and sausage gravy with eggs. Hawkeye had a mechanical failure with the waffle iron, so we didn't get to enjoy those, but he said he was going to fix, so I hope we can enjoy waffles next year!

More Pics will be coming....trust me....

And once again...... PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK!

bold

Oh, I forgot a "casualty"....

This morning, I had an electric griddle set to about 225F to warm the biscuits. The butane grill lighter thing ended up next to or on the hot griddle.

BOOM!

the lighter blew up in the middle of cooking eggs for breakfast and blew up a plastic plate.

Back