• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled eggs with hot peppers

Anyone got any simple recipes for this?

Have read a few recipes on internet but was wondering about which would be the best way to go about this.

Can I use fresh pepper pods or need to use dried pods as some recipes suggest?

Can I just add the boiled brine to the eggs in a sterile jar or is it better to do the boiling water bath of the jars for 10/15 minutes after filling?

Any suggestions?

Image the after effects of eating a few Butch T flavored hard boiled eggs. Lethal!!!

I have made pickled eggs before and they turned out pretty good. I would use fresh peppers instead of dried because I would think it would be less of a chance for contamination. Get a needle and poke a hole in the fat end of the egg then boil them. It makes peeling them a lot easier. Use medium eggs because a dozen will fit into a quart jar. I would just add the boiled brine to the eggs and no water bath. A good website to use is called something like the national home canning something. It is a extension of UGA and I have used several of the recipe before and turned out great.

Thanks for the reply here.

Maybe it it is easy to do and we are just over thinking it all in a sense and making it complicated to ourselves.
Guess we'll just have to try it and find all.

Any ideas as to if we can use the jars from the spaghetti sauce we use here at home. They say Eagle Mason Jar on them and are pretty heavy. Have that seal in the lids, so was thinking of using them.

Guess we just sterilize the jars and lids and pour away.

Have to boil the peppers with the brine??? Or just put the fresh pod in the jars with the eggs???

I make these every year, just hard boil some eggs and layer them with your fresh :hot: chilli into the jar along with some pepper corns.
Then simply pour a strong pickling vinegar to the top and leave for a few weeks. (If you can.)
I have never used brine, maybe its a variation I might try one day :P

I think the jars would be fine but I would get new lids. Once the seal is broken it is no good anymore. I would boil the peppers with the brine to help kill any bugs. Yeah you probly are over thinking it. Its really no big deal, very easy. just go to google and type in National Home Canning and the UGA extension site will be one of the first ones. It will answer a lot of your questions.

This sounds interesting. I'm gonna have to try it. Although last time I ate a pickled egg I almost choked to death on the yolk..

I've made them several times, with the standard recipes and added fresh peppers, dried peppers, and hot sauce. It takes A LOT of peppers and sauce to get them to even begin to take on heat. Since learning that I needed to take better care of my health I pulled all the eggs out, cut them in half, fed the yokes to the dog and put them back in the pickle mixture. It took on the heat very nicely. That is what I'll be doing from now on, not just for the health of it, but because you about double the surface area for absorbtion.

Im glad you are going to try that one its a goodie but make sure you let it age a bit before trying it out i know its hard lol Also feel free to add hotter peppers then the jalapenos i have talked to host of this website and he has changed the recipe to habaneros. I have noticed that when you pickle hot peppers it really kills the heat so feel the free to add more heat then ya think to get that kick you want.

I also want to add that you should go with smaller eggs rather then extra large as i find the brine or flavor sinks in better with the smaller style eggs.

@Hophead

We are going to use Bhut Jolokia peppers.

If all works out and they turn out ok, we got kind of a sticker/label for the jars. Calling them Skwerl Eggs. Got a pic of our avatar we use with the words "Bhut your ass these are hot" around it. Get it. hehe. Just giving them out to friends

Thinking 3 peppers to jar would be enough. Not sure as to leave them whole or cut in half and have the seeds mix in with the brine.

Hopefully can get started with them in a few weeks. I work out of town and only get home for 2 1/2 days a week then back out. peppers should be producing real good then.

@Hophead

We are going to use Bhut Jolokia peppers.

If all works out and they turn out ok, we got kind of a sticker/label for the jars. Calling them Skwerl Eggs. Got a pic of our avatar we use with the words "Bhut your ass these are hot" around it. Get it. hehe. Just giving them out to friends

Thinking 3 peppers to jar would be enough. Not sure as to leave them whole or cut in half and have the seeds mix in with the brine.

Hopefully can get started with them in a few weeks. I work out of town and only get home for 2 1/2 days a week then back out. peppers should be producing real good then.

Thats the amount I used last year, I cut them into quarters because the heat doesn't transfer that well otherwise.
I also sprinkled some dried birds eye chilli in, more for appearance than anything else because 3 peppers in the Jar got lost.
We use a white distilled malt vinegar as well as the pre spiced pickling vinegar (which is brown) and it really couldn't be simpler.
No boiling or mucking about, just fill the jar and put the lid on. The acidity is enough to preserve the eggs.
Also when you finish your eggs you strain out the peppers and use them as a Pizza topping and the vinegar makes a great salad dressing mixed with oil or sprinkle it over your Chips (French Fries in the US of course)
Nothing goes to waste!

Back