• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wind Turbine

I purchased a 1200 watt max output wind turbine kit to power my gear and maybe the lawn mower and some drills in the summer to save on the electric bill (I have a deep cycle battery and inverter and rectifier) Yes I plan to make a housing.
wamyow.jpg

2z5k6zd.jpg

1zn6hki.jpg

1exquf.jpg

2emog7k.jpg

nxuhl2.jpg

z274o.jpg

very nice. Wind power has few downfalls, if any, other than lack of wind at certain times. Same thing goes for satellite service. Sometimes its not available due to cloud cover. Will you be able to power the entire greenhouse w/ it?

very nice. Wind power has few downfalls, if any, other than lack of wind at certain times. Same thing goes for satellite service. Sometimes its not available due to cloud cover. Will you be able to power the entire greenhouse w/ it?
Well I plan to use less than it can produce the batteries will store the extra power I only need it in the fall/winter when we get more wind than sun. The greenhouse is still much warmer than outside and the sun increases the inside temperature I just need the heat from the HPS.

This kit did include a 40amp 1000V rectifier to change ac to dc (I found out the 3 wires connected to the rectifier can be attached in any order) this can be purchased with wire from Missouri wind and solar.

http://www.mwands.co...products_id=508

Well I plan to use less than it can produce the batteries will store the extra power I only need it in the fall/winter when we get more wind than sun. The greenhouse is still much warmer than outside the sun increases the inside temperature I just need the heat from the HPS.
That is a nicely constructed greenhouse that lets all the light in too. I forgot to add that in my previous post.

What about maintance and does it have some device to handle extreme winds such as feathering of the blades?

What about maintance and does it have some device to handle extreme winds such as feathering of the blades?

The wires and electronics don't require any maintenance but moving parts need to be greased or lubed I plan to take it down during wind storms.

there is always tradeoffs
those things(the huge ass ones)require like a nutty amount of lubricants and hydraulic oils, those can and often do leak and contaminate soil and water when they are poorly maintained. its even more problematic if they are in the water.

that being said, id totally rather have a buncha wind turbines on my land rather than a combustion power plant.

from what I understand wind turbines are also a near unlimited source of free food, if you like eating pigeons.

On a serious note though, when I was in the UK there was a big write up in the paper about wind turbines causing cancer in people that lived within a certain radius. Had something to do with the frequency of the vibrations damaging cells, but no so damaging that they were unable to replicate thus perpetuating the dysfunction, thus cancer.

from what I understand wind turbines are also a near unlimited source of free food, if you like eating pigeons.

On a serious note though, when I was in the UK there was a big write up in the paper about wind turbines causing cancer in people that lived within a certain radius. Had something to do with the frequency of the vibrations damaging cells, but no so damaging that they were unable to replicate thus perpetuating the dysfunction, thus cancer.
I've read the same here in the States, also with bats which is double hit for them with the fungus also killing them. How ever I've read that changing the shade of white greatly reduces the incidence. Apparently the shade of white that has been used to help cause the windmill not standout at a distance also attracts bugs which attract birds and bats.

Well solar was far more expensive to produce the same output and I would get less on cloudy winter days or with the panel covered in snow...nothings perfect but I'm trying to be green and organic.... (the studies involved large turbines different blades and height)

understandable, i'm not being critical, just want you to be well informed, and it sounds like you are!
The windmills in the UK were MASSIVE. that is true. I have no idea how big yours is.

what kind of output can you expect?

Back