• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When to start seeds indoors

I live in the 'burbs of Omaha and was wondering what would be a good time to start my bhut jolokia seeds? Should I soak them for 24hrs prior to planting?

Thanks for the help.

I guess it all matters how much light you have indoors and how big you want the bhut jolokia before moving outdoors. Cold rainy day here on the east coast so I planted a few in cell trays. Lightly misted the surface and put some water down in the tray and cover with a dome. I keep the light on for heat during germination and when I start seeing the hooks the dome comes off and presto.

Thanks, PRF. How about the presoak? You know any pluses or minuses associated with doing that? Thanks again.

To soak or not to soak that is the question. I have not had any seeds that were soaked do anything different than the seeds that were not soaked. I did a test last year and there was no difference in germination times.

Dale

That's the fun part of growing indoors, you can start whenever you want!
The other night it was 0c outside, but I planted some Habanero seeds. :lol:

Now about pre-soaking the seeds.
Just stick 'em in the ground...

I have not had a problem with seed germination yet, therefore, I have not soaked any of the seeds I have planted. If I plant seeds and they do not readily germinate (within 30 days), then soaking may be in order.

Get a good seed-raising mix from your local garden shop. I've found dirt is over-rated when it comes to sprouting unless you have very fresh seeds.
I think soaking seeds would work for some plants but everything I've seen says it makes no difference for peppers.

Omri said:

Hold up, you've been going on about how freezing it is and its 0c! i got two feet of snow outside and i consider this the mildest winter in ages! duuuuude...*shakes head*

back on topic, i've got a short growing season and a decent amount of room and lights so i start the slower growing guys now so they're basically flowering by the time they go out. I also started inca berries now cuz i hear they do well in hanging planters and i have a great window for hanging plants. basically what i'm trying to say is that its so subjective as to when you start your plants based on what they are, where you are, and what you can give them.

GrumpyBear said:
Hold up, you've been going on about how freezing it is and its 0c! i got two feet of snow outside and i consider this the mildest winter in ages! duuuuude...*shakes head*

back on topic, i've got a short growing season and a decent amount of room and lights so i start the slower growing guys now so they're basically flowering by the time they go out. I also started inca berries now cuz i hear they do well in hanging planters and i have a great window for hanging plants. basically what i'm trying to say is that its so subjective as to when you start your plants based on what they are, where you are, and what you can give them.
Technically 0c is the freezing point, so...
It doesn't matter if it's 0c or -20c, your plants will die either way.

Omri said:
Technically 0c is the freezing point, so...
y'know somehow i knew you'd say that... still, it was -10 here today and i didn't even bother with a coat outside. that's sweater weather man!

Maybe I'm just a wuss when it comes to weather.
It's colder up north (even colder than your 'sweater weather'), but where I live 0c is pretty cold.
0c once in a while is not too bad, but every day? that's the ultimate plant killer.

ya, that's why my planting season starts at the end of may (laaame...) but this really is such a mild winter, sometime in jan/feb we ussually hit the -40's but i think we might avoid that this time around. my secret hope is that this global warming thing will provide me with a longer growing season... y'know, before that ice age it's supposed to bring on ;)

AlabamaJack said:
I have not had a problem with seed germination yet, therefore, I have not soaked any of the seeds I have planted. If I plant seeds and they do not readily germinate (within 30 days), then soaking may be in order.

I'm going to try soaking the seeds next time then as I've had quite a few that haven't gerninated this year and it's getting on a month now that I've been waiting.

For me, the answer is dependant on how many plants you can sustain (lights and space) when it is time to move them outside. Up until you take them out, they are growing and being potted up.
You have to sprout seeds to fit within your limitations.

It does no good to sprout a thousand plants if you have taken up all of your room with seedlings. They may be 10-20 times that size before you transplant them.

Usually, you start peppers and eggplants 8-10 weeks before your frost-free date (In NEPA that about mid-june,in NJ around Memorial Day, end of may latest)....but I usually start my plants in mid to late January because I like them nice and big before I plant them out...and I have had success with growing peppers indoors too, but like cheezydemon says,...you need room inside to grow em cause they do get big quickly.

the trick about the frost free date is that you still have to wait for the darn soil temps to get up to 10 or 15ish (for peppers) so my frost free date is end of may and i can plant my root veggies then but it'd be plant murder to put the peppers out. it could get up there fast or slow, it just depends on the weather that year, but mulch will speed it up (plastic or otherwise).

Omri said:

just keep in mind that they get big and stringy without alot of light and rootbound in small containers.
if you have a good setup like a greenhouse you will be fine.
indoor windowsill will get them going but too soon and you may end up with problems.
whatever you do try keep a log on what dates you started so you can get a good feel on your area.

shayneyasinski said:
just keep in mind that they get big and stringy without alot of light and rootbound in small containers.
if you have a good setup like a greenhouse you will be fine.
indoor windowsill will get them going but too soon and you may end up with problems.
whatever you do try keep a log on what dates you started so you can get a good feel on your area.
Using MH and HPS bulbs until spring. ;)

I started mine with just potting soil and kept the temperture at 84 degrees in an incubator and nine days later they are finally coming up. That was Naga morich , petterpeppers crossed with Hanoi Reds. And so far looking good I got some im pods sitting on my cable box right now see if theres a difference. And I soaked these seeds so time will tell.

Back