• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The G Challenge

Here we go!

This is a challenge inspired by the TD's and some random comments on various threads. What if some of my favorite "chefs" from this site went head-to-head in a little challenge? And what if they couldn't use some of their go-to items? So here it is:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A meal - appetizer and entrée with optional sides. No bacon, no cheese, no hot dogs, no spam, and NO BP. But before you go thinking "that's easy, just leave out BP"... no. This isn't just about leaving it out, but about using alternatives, gettin' down in yo spice cabinets.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]And yet another twist: Unlike TD's where no one gets to taste any of the creations, this will give the rest of us po folks a couple weeks to recreate the dishes and then vote after the cooking is done. That means they're going to have to give us an idea of quantities, too.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]How is this the G Challenge if I'm not cooking? Heh. I issue the challenge and set the rules! (Bwahahahaha!)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I've invited SumOfMyBits, JayT, frydad4, and Deathtosnails to be "chefs" for this challenge. They have this weekend and next to cook and post pics and recipes. YOU who follow this thread will then have a couple weeks over which you can recreate their dishes and then vote. (Poll to come.) [/background]

Our four challengers are up for the game and ready to go - BRING IT!

EDIT:

If you've been watching this, and/or want to join in the voting phase, go ahead and start cooking. I've started the dishes SumOfMyBits made for tonight's dinner, and plan on doing DeathToSnails' dish later this week - these look REALLY good and I can't wait to try them! You'll have a few weekends to cook, and I'll open up voting near the end.

Yes! Or, at least, cook part of each meal if you don't have time to do all of them, such as the entrées. However, I'll give everyone a couple weeks so you can spread it out - no need to make all four in one day!

You know, we never get to try each other's dishes for the TD's before voting, and I know I am guilty of thinking "I'd really like to make that some time" but never getting around to it. This gives us an opportunity and a bit of motivation we don't usually have!

No BP??? The INSANITY of it!!! This might just be interesting......

(And no, I was not being sarcastic. BP is the schnitzel! :P)

BP stands for black pepper, though the guys know I really mean anything called "pepper" that's not in the capsicum family.

Ahhhhhhhhh I see. You could use a ton of fresh garlic to get some spiciness going. It'll keep vampires away too!

Heh - Usually people here use something in the capsicum family to get some spiciness going... ;) But garlic is good with capsicum, too! And tarragon, anise, allspice, curry, coriander, oregano, basil, sage, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, mace, ginger...... Though, technically something doesn't have to have heat to be "spicy". It really is possible to leave out heat yet still make something very spicy.

Curry!?! Gee, go check your curry blend to make sure there's no BP in it. Unless you're making your own curry blend, or are buying something specific, lots of store bought curries have BP as an ingredient.

IMG_5216_zpsaad0f501.jpg

I have my doubts that people will actually recreate this dish, but I wanted to do it because I haven't had it in a long time.
Cool looking ingredients there! And, hey, you KNOW at least one person will recreate it, if I can find all the ingredients! Nice to see you first up to bat.

Back