Hello from Central(ish) Illinois

Found this forum a couple weeks ago and have been lurking a lot since then. Already found a lot of information here and a good number of posts that made me laugh a bit as well. Anyway thanks for making a resource like this available.

Also I have 1 Butch T plant that I bought as a seedling this year and it currently has at least 20 pods of various size on it ranging from "just showed up a couple days ago" to some that have been on there about a month. Our weather here has been more than a little eratic this year and the temps are starting to get a little on the cool side at night (understatement there....). So I have been looking at the posts having to deal with lighting and it seems like most people bring in more than 1 plant so they would need a larger light setup, with just my 1 plant that I would like to keep alive inside over the winter and at the least get the current pods to ripen would a CFL or T5 lighting setup work, or will I need to jump into this more and go for a HPS setup? I would also like to keep the plant producing through the winter if thats possible also.

For the record I will be starting from scratch on any equipment and would prefer not to break the bank at this point.

Thanks!

Hi there from Wisconsin---are you a bear fan? If so disregard the following because the Bears Suck!!!!

I Do not think you can raise the plant inside without a lot of work and lights---but keeping them alive till spring is possible without much trouble. I am bringing my plants inside and will cut the roots back and stems off and put them in some bark mulch and miricle grow medium. Dont need a lot of light but just a south sun window or a florescent might work.

I hope someone else who knows more can comment also--this is the first time for me doing overwintering plants.
:welcome:

Welcome. I was raised in Charleston and lived in Urbana and Champaign for a while. Good to see more Illinois growers!

As far as production goes, I think you are going to need a hps/mh setup. The fluorescent is good for seedlings but for production you will need more.

Greetings from Minneapolis! I hear you about the overnight temps. So far only 1 night of covering do to light frost here. I brought 2 plants in last season. Both were not touched and 'overwintered' as is in their pots. One was in a south facing window (best option) and the other was in an east facing window (second best IMO). Both lost a few leaves but survived just fine. Both grew into monsters this year in round 2 and produced very heavily. My buddy cut the roots and stem back on about 7 different plants last season and all but 1 survived and produced very well and earlier than anything else. He placed them under flouro lights though from time to time. But from his experience and mine, both seem to work and do not require a lot of light.

:welcome: From Indy. This year we go from one extreme to the other :( . I got a sunny south window I'm going to try to winter one plant in. Also do a search on site on wintering pepper plants. There's a lot out there.

Back