smokers $6 smoker at WALMART...

anyone know a thing or two about WEIGHTS and MEASURES.....more CALI..-Los Angeles county??

heres the deal.. went to Wally world yesterday to pick up Char-Broil vertical propane smoker...on sale for $60 + 10%off ($54)
A01BEB21-8F5D-44C2-BDE9-4855B8C7E032-3773-00000155B4EB9B01.jpg

guy scanned it and it rang up $109---$60 you save $49
then on the bottom if you look it says.. 10/10 @ $60---- $6 so it scanned for $6
4FB69201-8FC0-4D08-90D6-56E4671F8344-3773-000001562740AD5A.jpg

isnt it the law that they have to honor whatever the scanned price is....? on their machines kept scanning at $6... yes SIX dollars... then finally someone changed it and on their price scanner its now ringing up $109....then they overrode that to make it $60 ( now by law they are over charging me than whats stated price at the shelves) frustrating is they had this issue the day before and had 24 hrs to fix it......should i have gotten it at $6?? anhyone have more insight??/

sorry THP.. or noah.. didnt know where to put this at...feel free to move

They don't have to honor the scanned price if it was an error. I believe they are responsible for honoring the price listed though,which in this case would be the $60 listed.

They don't have to honor the scanned price if it was an error. I believe they are responsible for honoring the price listed though,which in this case would be the $60 listed.

this issue had happened the day before... they had 24 hrs to fix the issue and yet they failed to do so...made me wait 30 mins for the transaction..... i understand its their error....but like when an employee forgets to remove the SALE PRICE... even though the sale timeframe has expired.. by law they need to honor that sale price.. regardless....

im googling it... taking a while to read through it as i type

California Business and Professions Code Sections
For sales:
12024.2. (a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per
unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity.
(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the commodity itself or on a shelf tag that
corresponds to the commodity, notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the posted price is in
effect.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor
more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or
by both, if the violation is willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one dollar ($1).
(c) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100)
when the overcharge is one dollar ($1) or less.
(d) As used in subdivisions (b) and (c), "overcharge" means the amount by which the charge for a commodity
exceeds a price that is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted to that consumer for that commodity at the
time of sale. -they adjusted the price to $109 on their system and required CSM to override that price to bring it to $60

(e) Except as provided in subdivision (f), for purposes of this section, when more than one price for the same
commodity is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted, the person offering the commodity for sale shall
charge the lowest of those prices.

Check with a local consumer group. Indiana at one time had simular law but was changed to a more favorable law for retailers. In part because of extreme errors like that was causing major issues.

I'm just surprised the cashier actually noticed the wrong price -- Here they would have just finished the transaction and never noticed you were only paying the $6 !!

ok.... made a complain to CONSUMER AFFAIRS.....they will send someone to inspect the store...frustrating...any feedback is appreciated... even negative remarks...but please no arguing or trolling...

I'm just surprised the cashier actually noticed the wrong price -- Here they would have just finished the transaction and never noticed you were only paying the $6 !!

yes.. how he noticed wish i knew....but i woudnt have been able to follow thru until he pressed payment method...oh well.. in short.. i got it for $54 + $3 off( for their pricing error).....

yeah that IS a pretty good deal! Let us know how it works. THEy might be on sale at other locations as well.

yeah that IS a pretty good deal! Let us know how it works. THEy might be on sale at other locations as well.

im sure its on sale at a lot of these B&M stores... they need to make way for halloween/Christmas stuff... so check it out...

ok.... made a complain to CONSUMER AFFAIRS.....they will send someone to inspect the store...frustrating...any feedback is appreciated... even negative remarks...but please no arguing or trolling...

yes.. how he noticed wish i knew....but i woudnt have been able to follow thru until he pressed payment method...oh well.. in short.. i got it for $54 + $3 off( for their pricing error).....

So Wally World screwed up but you still made the deal?

And then file a complaint after the fact with Consumer Affairs over it?

Why didn't you just walk away from it if you weren't happy with the deal in the first place?

So Wally World screwed up but you still made the deal?

And then file a complaint after the fact with Consumer Affairs over it?

Why didn't you just walk away from it if you weren't happy with the deal in the first place?
yes... they screwed up .. and also the day before.. youd figure they wouldve fixed it.. but it is wally world..and customer service training is bad everywhere..
i filed a complaint and will have someone see the store manana

i liked the deal TB... not bad IMO.. but to get it for $6.. hey.. why not... figured i waited there that long.. might as well get something out of it...

KD - you might want to check the manufacture date on the unit also - There was a recall on them back in 2010 for a problem with the regulator - From the recall notice :

When the temperature setting is in "low," the smoker's hose/valve/regulator (HVR) assembly does not allow sufficient gas to flow, causing the flame to extinguish. Gas continues to flow and build up inside the smoker. If the smoker is reignited the build-up of propane gas can cause an explosion that bursts the smoker's door open, posing an injury hazard.

It has probably since been fixed but you never know with walmart how long it has been in the store !!

It's not like the advertised price was $6, it was $60, so, you went to the register with the expectation of paying $60. Filing a complaint with consumer affairs is not right. You were not scammed or misled as a consumer. There was a glitch at checkout.

And it said 1 of 10 for $6 so they could have given you a tenth of the smoker for $6, if you want to get technical. :)

Be happy you got an extra discount for the trouble.

my thing on it was questioning whether or not it was legal for them not to sell it to me for $6...as a consumer i wanted to know from a consumer affairs stand point and not a WALLY MANAGER...mind you the same walmart that wouldnt let me return a SEALED movie WITH receipt.. ("has to be the same one")

the 1/10 im guessing was quantity.. lol dont thinkk they are selling the smoker in pieces.. with that...ill update you on the status of this matter....

usually we are overcharged and not undercharged..

the 1/10 im guessing was quantity.. lol dont thinkk they are selling the smoker in pieces.. with that...ill update you on the status of this matter....

It says "1 at 10 for 60.00 6.00 T" so it looks like since it rang up 6 (1/10th) there was some code in there for something else that was sold in 10 pieces. No quantity. Since it brought you down to $6.

Like I said. You were not scammed. You were not misled. You knew the price before you went to the register. If you were to fight it they could explain the code to you and say okay here's 1/10th of the smoker, we will honor this glitch.

Legal not to sell it to you?

Yes, error in scanning, nothing illegal in an error. No apparent attempt to defraud or mislead.

Error.

Back