• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot pepper infused sea salt..

I searched for the topic but didnt turn up anything..
Anyway, do any of you have experience with infusing peppers and sea salt?
If so which pepper types work the best?
Any suggestions or warnings for processing and redehydrating?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I tried it with some peach habs i brought with me to phoenix... it worked very well, Great on fresh cucumbers and balsamic vinegar just the kick it needed.. Since i have a lime tree in my front yard i also tried lime salt.. easy.. any one like margaritas?..lolol.. when i get home this weekend i will try it with ghost peppers..

Steve

'bout ready to try this. THE BIZ hooked me up with some that he made and it's goooooooooood. BTW, howardsnm1, he said he used a red brain strain.

THE BIZ explained that he took a red brain strain and put it in a sealed jar with some course sea salt and let it sit for a month. He said you could probably wait longer but then he pulsed it inn a blender. I thought it came out nice.

I made some using yellow ghost and pink Himalayan sea salt. Delish!
I may follow your lead with pink himalayan but try something like red or yellow 7 pot. Then maybe mix my black hawaiian sea salt with..??? Hmm ..... maybe some douglah 7 pot?
Of course, the hard part would be figuring out what to sprinkle it over. I guess i could grill up a couple of nice big juicy ribeyes.. if i had to.... lol

Infusing sea salt is da bomb. ( and very easy).
We used Red Alaea Hawaiian sea salt (course) and infused with a variety of peppers this season.
Using fresh peppers, we pulsed with the salt to the desired grind and heat intensity.
After the grind, splay it on a paper plate to evaporate for a day or so.

You will have fun trying all the heat/flavor/ grind combinations. A great way to sock away the fresh pepper flavor for an extended shelf life.

Datil, Bhuts, Red Congos are just a few we worked with. Use as a rub, rim a glass, eggs, anything you would add salt and pepper to.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I did mine by using 30-40 peach habs puree then mix with 2 lbs sea salt.. let sit for a couple of days to get the flavor absorbed. I used a glass baking dish in the oven set at 150 deg. for a few hours.. I had a few jars available along with new shaker/containers that i give away for gifts..
That was the first batch i have since done lime, bhuts, and hot green chile salts.. all are very tastey.. and go well on almost everything..:)

Tried a few ways, all were a hit---but some were almost unusable due to the sneezing.
No more mixing powdered peppers and salt.

Next batch----summer 2013-----will be roasted, smoked and dried peppers, blended in a blender with pure water and sea salt, and left in a pan in the sun to dry.

Small batch done that way was really good.

how do u do it.. do u just like dry and powder the pepper.. and then mix it with the salt???.. please do tell =D
ive seen on a food show that you blend fresh chillis with the salt and leave on a tray to dry out a bit.
Not sure on the ratio of salt to chillis though sorry.

Working on three batches right now...

1. Hot Citrus Salt - Yellow Bhut, Trinidad Scorp, Bonda Ma Jacques + Lemon Zest + Squeeze of Lemon Juice

2. Back To The Wild Salt - Pan Toasted Wild Chiltepins + Toasted Garlic

3. I Wanna Be Sweet Salt - Mexican Mint Marigold + Lavender

I tried y'all's methods...I think. Chop, then infuse by sitting, then blend/process, then dry in oven at low temp, then spice grind for finer texture if need be. So far, my fav is the Tepin Salt.

I'm gonna have to try this. Maybe just rough chop some fresh peppers and throw em in a jar with salt and then pull the pieces of pepper out after you think its infused? I'll try a couple different ways tho.

In my thinking,,infused salt should mean little to no pepper flesh involved!

Otherwise it is just salt and peppers mixed. :P

Kevin

Without giving away the secrets to your delicious hot salt, can you explain how you get pepper flavors and heat into your salts without the flesh? I would love to make a piri-piri salt for my grandpa who brought me back piri-piri seeds all the way from Portugal. His favorite pepper.

Best I had was smoked ghost pepper sea salt, no peppers were in it, just brown sea salt crystals that look like turbinado sugar. Not sure how they do it. But damn good smoked.

I figure if you're gonna add salt and heat you can do it separately. Like, lemon pepper. What is that? But the smoking adds an awesome smoky flavor you can add to anything.

Back