• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Scary Jalapenos

I realize this probably sounds crazy, but I am more afraid of my jalapenos this year than my cayennes or habaneros. I have a pretty good tolerance, and can take most sauces and fresh peppers [I can usually do a whole fresh hab with no milk], ... but this year, my jalapenos are ridiculous. I ate one that completely took my breath away. I made a pot of chili the other day, and put in 4 habs, 5 cayennes, but only 2 japs... simply because they are so hot. Normally I am of the mindset that jalapenos are not that hot at all, but these things scare me. I don't know if it was the incredibly dry/hot summer we had, or if they are just strange mutants... but I am very curious as to whether or not anyone else has experienced this.

Granted, my habs were not as hot as I expected... but the cayennes have about the heat I was looking for. Also, I tend to like the heat from a habanero or cayenne better... less of the hot pins sticking into your tongue, and more of a straight burn.

Perhaps I am just a wuss, but these things are crazy hot.

My Early Jalapenos are off the chart this year as well. Easily as hot as my habanero. Mine are also very stressed and corked out of their mind.

post-7027-0-18755900-1349575650_thumb.jpg

A couple years ago I had some Jalapenos that were super hot like what you ended up with. Co workers were telling me that they were the hottest Jalapenos that they ever tasted. I have not been able to grow anymore like that yet.

I had some Jalaps that were freakishly hot a few years ago. Smaller than a normal jalap, and easily as hot as a hab.

wow really, so far all my jalapenos are weakkkkkkkkkk!!! like way weak! Think i need to get some biker billy jalapenos.

Glad to hear it, I love getting a hotter than expected pepper. On the flip side, my japs were pretty mild this year...or maybe they were normal and my tolerance is increasing... but either way, I've been using more hab varieties in my cooking this year because I have been underwhelmed by the japs.

I did buy some giant japs at the farmers market that had some decent heat and have some seeds coming in the mail to hopefully duplicate that heat next year.

The giant jalapenos I grew from seed this year were a total bust. They were a beautiful red with amazing corking, but they had the heat level of a regular bell pepper.

I had some jalapenos that were way hot too. Forgot to grow them this year, because of all the other stuff i bought. I dont think they are hotter than habs, just that they just had a high concentration of whatever capsaisin it is they contain, compared to the other peppers. They give me instant hiccups. Some supers dont do that. I still have some in the freezer, and cut one up from time to time. Looking foward to growing them next season again. If i remember correctly, i seeds said jalapeno hot (h). Got them at one of the big box stores. Grew them three years in a row and were hot like that every year. Enjoy them Westin!

Thanks for all of the replies! That sheds some light on them. Most of them have pretty significant corking [not as pretty as the photo JoynersHotPeppers posted] -- I may have to try to save some seeds from these for next year. :)

I also experienced this phenomena this year. I grew 5 types and they all were the hottest (jalapenos) I have ever had. I felt more comfortable using bird/birdseye/cayenne and habaneros than the garden jalapenos! Not going to complain though,it would be nice if they were always as hot as they were this year. I grew Zapotecs, Jal M, TAM Vera Cruz, Mitla, and Mexican Grocery saved seeds. They were even hotter than the serranos grown right next to them. I had some major corking too, especially on the Zapotecs, M's, and Mex. Grocery.

My giant jalapenos taste like crap and little heat. The mucho nacho variety I grew is a great one. Big pods,nice corking and some of them have brutal heat. I wish I could find a jalapeno with a more predictable heat.
091412071107.jpg

Xalapas in Méjico are pretty universally picante.

Varieties grown in the US have been tailored to the market where people don't like picante much.

Back