• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite moving my favorite plant indoors

I have a monster Caribbean red plant and i moved out to a pot about two weeks ago. I went and bought some of those 100 watt spiral ge daylight bulbs and set them up in the basement. The plant is loaded with peppers and flowers but I've never tried this before. Does any one have any good input? Will my blossoms fruit and the plant thrive like I'm hoping or am i going to need better bulbs than what I've got. I didn't really want to go buy a super expensive set up if i don't have too. I was thinking about lining my closet with foil and moving it in there tomorrow. I'm also going to run the lights sixteen hours and eight off on a water heater timer. Any thing will help! Thanks

I would go for something like this posted below in the peoria craigslist ... some are multi voltages and you can remove the ballast and make your own grow light.. but they do run hot ... but imo you would need like a 400w to keep it flowering etc..
Pretty cheap to buy something like this not so cheap to run a lot.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/grd/3283189292.html

My dad lives near peoria but i live on the border of wi and il north of Rockford, il
You know what that add doesn't say much about the lights. like watts 120v etc.. but for that price i would call and ask.
for just one plant that would work our great if it was wired for 120v and was a 400w Mh light.. even better if you have a basement, usually there a bit cooler so it wouldn't be that hard to keep the plants cool from the light.

The flowers may or may not produce pods at this point - hard to say. As far as existing pods, one of two things can happen. The first is that they will continue to ripen in the coming weeks, though the ripening rate may slow down. Alternately, they may stop ripening. This is common if the plant goes semi-dormant. But if they do stop ripening, they will finish ripening in the spring when the plant "wakes up".

But if they do stop ripening, they will finish ripening in the spring when the plant "wakes up".
The peppers will stay on the plant that long?

I brought in some ornamentals and their peppers eventually ripened, but the serranos I brought in have stayed green. I'd kinda given up hope of them ripening and assumed they'd eventually fall off.

i dont intend to hi-jack this thread. i just have a question related with this. i moved i plant around 2 weeks ago inside as is. on pot, no pruning because the plant has got alot of unripe pod and it starting to produce lots of buds and flowers again. but after 2 days, i shook the plant for pollinationg purpose and massive amount of flowers and buds just fell! was the plant maybe on shock? thanks you

That's the plant's reaction to the reduced light. It just doesn't have the energy to maintain that much growth, so it drops the flowers.

Back