• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bell/Naga

I haven't found any info on this but wondered if any one has done a bell pepper/ naga cross? If so how was the heat? The size? Taste? I was going to attempt this this year to see if I could a breed a big hot pepper? What bell do yoiu think would good or has the best taste? Don't want a dirt tasting pepper. Also what hot pepper do you think would be good scorpian, 7 pod, naga ,btu/bih jokila or somthing else. Let me know what you think.

Macmanmatty

That might be really cool....seriously, the heat might never be that hot.;)
A good experiment, but I have found that bells produce the fewest pods of any variety of pepper, so you might get bigger peppers but less overall volume.

Of course, the same could be said of tomatoes, and the larger varieties are still preferred for most applications.

I've thought a lot about this. I crossed a trinidad scorpion with a big bertha bell and the pods I grew had no seeds. I realised only later that the big bertha was a hybrid so lots of genes in the pool.
I believe large size, low heat and red color are all usually dominant when breeding peppers so you'd have to grow many and select for many generations to get an end result that isn't just a red bell pepper.

I think Mexi-bell has 100-250 shu's? It's really close to nothing as far as heat, but I think it's one of the hottest bell type peppers, and what I here it taste pretty good too. I guess an open pollinated variety would be the best way to go, think Mexi-bell is and it's medium sized, and there is Chinese Giant wich gets pretty big. What ever bell you use, please tell us how it works out!

PS I think that the Scorpion might give it a cool look?

POTAWIE said:
I've thought a lot about this. I crossed a trinidad scorpion with a big bertha bell and the pods I grew had no seeds. I realised only later that the big bertha was a hybrid so lots of genes in the pool.
I believe large size, low heat and red color are all usually dominant when breeding peppers so you'd have to grow many and select for many generations to get an end result that isn't just a red bell pepper.

What did the pods look like?

cheezydemon said:
Very true, but I thought that the original intent was a large naga, not a naga with "Bell like" qualities.

Yes the orignal intent was a large hot pepper. Don't care which one just as long it can cross with a naga or other hot c. chienese for the heat.

I'm not real clear on which ones won't cross.

The big Jim would be a good starting point, but the poblano probably would to.....If they can ...mate lol.

Jukka aka fatalii talked about this some were, I wouldn't be suprised if he was working on something similiar he loves his hybrids... he'll then probably bonsai it lol

stillmanz said:
... he'll then probably bonsai it lol
His Bonsai chilli plants look really good, and they seem to be quite simple to do. I'm going to do it at the end of this year with a compact/ornamental chilli.

Seems like a good way to overwinter, but would you ever want to put it outside again? Maybe with a pepper I don't intend to grow again.

Back