• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

G'day ppl just seeing what's results and fails evry one else is having in w.a (west Australia ) at the moment and as its my first season any pointers for our zone , cheers

Between catapillers , high winds and hail has been a rough ride but lately it is as if every thing has stopped growing ( or I'm out ther to much and it like a watched Chilli Neva grows lol) . The weather is getting warmer so I'm hoping the energy is going into making a better root system. I'm still trying not to kill the with kindness and it strange how some want different amounts of light and water so far my butch t don't like full sun where as my douglah loves it . I sure they all have there own personalities and now it's got to the point where I talk to them and they have names lol :) the mrs thinks I'm nuts . What started as a two jalapeño plants from bunnings has evolved into about 15 strains and around 60 or so plants plus my veggie garden is staring to crank too , the dream is an outdoor hydro or aquaponic for next season lol this one just started and I'm already planning next year

Gday,

Since i learned about a month ago that expensive organic potting mix is about 10x better than bunnings potting mix my plants are starting to take off.

Ive just bought a fairly big land in cannington and will be building there.

I specifically paid more for a large block so that i can get a good veggie patch and chilli patch going :)

The weather has been a bit shite...rain, high winds then like a stinking hot day then more rain....

I planted some outside and they got so wet and windy they died off...

However my newest bunch are going good, they are onto 4/5th sets of leaves ready to go..

Ohhhh also my baligarian carrot has about 5-6 chillis growing on it now and a hell of a lot more flowers....it did have maybe 20-30 flowers on it before but i pulled them all off and then had to chop it back a few weeks ago as it got a fungus/bacteria....

So we should be going good soon!!!

I put a few chilies out a bit too early and they died or just havn't done much.
A few of the others are thriving well enough!

I just wish the minimum temperature would raise a bit more....my hydroponic watermelons are dying off!

Gday,

Since i learned about a month ago that expensive organic potting mix is about 10x better than bunnings potting mix my plants are starting to take off.

Ive just bought a fairly big land in cannington and will be building there.

I specifically paid more for a large block so that i can get a good veggie patch and chilli patch going :)

The weather has been a bit shite...rain, high winds then like a stinking hot day then more rain....

I planted some outside and they got so wet and windy they died off...

However my newest bunch are going good, they are onto 4/5th sets of leaves ready to go..

Ohhhh also my baligarian carrot has about 5-6 chillis growing on it now and a hell of a lot more flowers....it did have maybe 20-30 flowers on it before but i pulled them all off and then had to chop it back a few weeks ago as it got a fungus/bacteria....

So we should be going good soon!!!
Hi, I live in Cannington as well!(Next to bunnings) :party:
I am now using the mix from bunnings (package colour in red, with lot of tomato)
Could you recommend me what is the best mix you have used?and where I can buy it?
Thanks!

Bunnings stuff is crap best is good life soil company in midland organic poo poo :)

I was going to say this. I bought 5 bags for 40 dollars i think, 2 were potting mix the other 3 were concentrate (not cut with sand) as my property is mainly sand ill mix it in myself at home.

Their 20L bags are REAL 20l bags, they are so much heavier than bunnings nand so far i have filled a lot of smaller pots etc and im only just making my way through teh first bag.

The potting mix is nice and sandy to drain well, it also has real poo in it cause i can smell it and when you are working with the soil you come across warm balls of manure :)

Also if you need a lot you can bring a trailer and they will fill with a bobcat!!

much more economical this way.

My new place in cannington i need to do all the landscaping for a few hundred square meters of garden, hence i will be needing almost a heavy rigid size truck full!!

Any pics of hydro melons
this is from last season...I started way too late but I still managed to produce a few melons.

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

So far my melon plants are still alive but the new growth is dying...melons seem really sensitive to the water temperature, my soil watermelons havn't done alot but are much healthier.

Hydro Spaghetti Pumpkin, these suckers dont care about anything they just grow!
IMAG0920.jpg

Hydro Jumbo Jalapeno, Aji Panca, Anaheim, Aji Limon, Habanero and Red Rocotto....hab and rocotto not doing well.
IMAG0918.jpg

F1 Super Chili, Aji Limon and a Mouruga scorpion wich you can't see yet.
P1030244.jpg

Bath tubs are great! you can find them when the bulk collections are running!

Jamacan red and yellow, Red rocotto, 7 pot brain strain and carolina reaper in here. The pots aren't a part of it...they are just there for the sunlight.
IMAG0922.jpg

How do u keep water temp down outside in summer I'm thinking of using a Eskey as a resivour , my spelling is shocking but u get the idea

could dig a deep hole using a post digger and use a PVC tube vertically as the reservoir, that would keep it nice and cool i think

How do u keep water temp down outside in summer I'm thinking of using a Eskey as a resivour , my spelling is shocking but u get the idea
When I first started I found my plants were dying and I thought it was the temperature so I was throwing in lots of ice to cool the reservoir. But then I figured out the ph was too low!
Stopped with the ice not long after and the plants didnt really seem to care how hot it got.
I know that water doesn't hold oxygen so well when it gets above 30 degrees so maybe before it gets too hot I'll throw in an air stone or two.
if the plants look like their suffering I may start up with the iceblocks but unless I see something bad happening I wont bother.
I used an eski for grown a watermelon plant and it worked very well for stablizing temperatures. but as a dwc setup it was a pain to open the lid with plant attached to check ec and water level.
thats why I've gone all gravity fed NFT with reservoirs....much easier to top up and maintain a seperate reservoir.

sownseeds, they better look after me when iturn up with a heavy rigid truck to get enough soil to landscape my soon to be 250sqm garden haha

Back