• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

5 Sauces, Recipes, Pic of Sauces

Made Tabasco last week, St. Barts and Caribbean Red over weekend. Fatalii sauces today. Recipes follow if wanted:

AnnsTabascoStBartsCaribRedFataliiPineappleFatappleButterSauces10-12.jpg

from left to right, Tabasco, St. Barts, Carib Red, Fatalii Pineapple, Fatalii Apple Butter.

No pics of process--juggler running out of hands--but process described. (Thanks DocB, RocketMan and evabody for suggestions.)

Tabasco (Puree?)

1 gallon 50-100? Tabasco peppers—fermented for 1 month in kosher salt
10 cloves roasted garlic
2 roasted white sweet onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. salt (depending on salt from fermentation)
1 cup ACV

Add all. Cook in a stockpot until tender, then press through sieve to get out seeds from Tabs: spatula works best, imo. Simmer until blended well. Put in pint/half-pint jars, seals softened in boiling/simmering water. Pressure-can at 10 lbs. for 15 minutes OR water-bath can for 20 minutes. Yield of near puree? 6.5 pints. “May” be thinned with vinegar. This stuff has great flavor and is warm.

St. Barts (Duval Crawl)

30-40 de-seeded St. Barts peppers (but leave membrane)
1 cup carrots
1 roasted sweet onion
8 roasted garlic cloves
2 15 oz. cans pineapple
2 cups mango puree
1 teaspoon coriander
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup agave
1 cup Jamaican white rum
1 cup key lime juice

Cook all (except agave and key lime) in rum for an hour. Medium simmer. Put in blender, blend well, put back in stockpot. Taste. Add agave and lime juice, judiciously. Tasting: less, more, per taste. Bring to med boil and hold it for 15 minutes. Pour into pint jars. Pressure-can @ 10 lbs. 15 minutes or water-bath can for 20 minutes. Yield: 6 pints.
* note found a cool way of prepping (for me) ahead: roast all garlic and onion ahead, store in frig in quart jars. Carrots: to sweeten and pre-soften, small cut, add kosher salt, touch of agave, microwave in quart jar, keep that in frig.

Carib Red (Santo Chac-Mool)

20 Carib Red peppers, deseeded but left membrane
2 15. oz. cans tropical fruit (papaya, guava, banana, pineapple)
1 cup mango puree
2 roasted sweet white onion
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons coriander
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1" slice ginger minced
1/2 cup agave
1 cup mango juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3/4 cup Realime juice
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Do as above: cook all (but vanilla extract) in mango juice on med. simmer. To blender, then back to stockpot. Taste. Add spices to taste or not. Med simmer 15 minutes. Pressure-can or water-bath. Yield: 5 pints

Fatalii Pineapple

16 fatalii peppers, de-seeded, left membrane
1 roasted white onion
2 roasted garlic cloves
3 cans pineapple chunks
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup agave
2 teaspoons allspice
1 cup Realime juice
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon course ground black and white pepper
2 cups pineapple juice

Cook/medium-hot simmer in pineapple juice and do as above. Yield: 5 pints

Fatalli Apple Butter (many thanks to RocketMan for much of this recipe!)

12 fatalli, de-seeded, membrane left
2 pints homemade apple butter
25 oz. unsweetened applesauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup apple cider
1 cup bourbon
Simmer fatalii in cider and bourbon for 30 minutes. Add the rest and medium-hot simmer for 1 hour. Into blender, back into stockpot, get it hot again. Into jars and pressure-can. If water-bathing, I would add ACV, lemon juice, rice vinegar--something acidic to make shelf-stable if desired. Yield: 4.5 pints.
*using homemade apple cider (pulpy), this stuff can get thick! Good deal.

These, aside from Tabasco and St. Barts, are pretty sweetish and fruity. St. Barts could have stood fewer peppers used, honestly. But nice and hot fruit sauce. Each have their own flavor profile, that I think compliments the pepper.

Will be smoking some peppers and dehydrating so so much left in garden over weekend when smoking some beer can chickens--eager to use some of these sauces--and then onto more sauces next week:

Choc habanero (thinking am doing this with butternut squash and neck pumpkin), yellow 7 pod brainstrain using much of what DocB has done with his "Tequila Mango Roasted Habanero," but with 7 pods, wowie, and something with Naga Morich and Yellow/Red bhuts together--not as fond of red bhuts and would like to grow some peach if any bhuts next year.

Please let me know what you think, how I could improve, ideas you have? Anything at all. (I'm so addicted to this process from growing, prepping soil, AACTeas at different stages of growth to harvest, tasting, sauce-making, drying . . . nice to be among addicts: can be a misunderstood obsession/compulsion, fer shure.) Peace out and thanks!

romy6 thank you, but I cracked myself up on my "skills."

I had that fatalii pineapple loaded up in pressure-canner, and noticed, "Dang! That fatapple butter stuff's gittin' thick. Too thick." (By this point I'z tired after being up all night evaling uh, uni mid-term essays that were less than spectacular), and while I'm messing with the fatalii apple butter to thin it with more cider and wondering if store-bought apple j. would be less thickening, since I keep it on hand . . . or "I wonder. . . etc., " I forgot that I had not set the pressure on the canner to pounds yet and reduced heat. That weight on p-canner was rockin' like Old Faithful in meet-up w/ Mt. Vesuvius. I went "Wow, man." I kinda hopped straight up in air like an armadillo in middle of road before getting hit by a truck. Turned burner off before had to buy us (or life-insurance policy had to buy) a new ceiling and maybe roof. (Never lived that down; live being operative.) Held at 15 lbs. for the duration too. As in, it was in "WTH-NO!" warning zone before dropping to 15 lbs. Skills. Hmm. Never let that happen before; was a moment. But again, thanks!

RM: thank you! That Bourbon Fatapple or Bourbon Fatalii apple butter is delicious! I really encourage folks to try it. I used a lot of fatalii (could've been 16?) and ironically, with ingredients, it's not too sweet. Nice bourbon flavor clove/apple dominates with not too severe heat. Then again, mileage varies. Hoping this is link to your original post so folks can make this if they have fresh apples, as by this point, I'd already made everything possible to make with a fresh apple and canned it: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28946-rocketmans-glog-starting-second-season/page__st__160

Hope you don't mind me doing that, as this stuff is going to rock some pork. Might rock the chicken am smoking this weekend. I think it'd make tofu bearable. I rank on tofu some because, well, just do, (but shuuu: I've used it). Heck, I put bourbon fatapple butter on some toast last night! SO came by and said, "Lemme taste." Me: "You hate hot stuff." Him: "But I'm trying!" and there he went into pint jar with teaspoon loaded. So I let him. He got an odd, WTF expression, that mellowed into a dazed, croaking, "This is, well, hot-damn, good!" First endorphin rush off peppers! He choked on the Tabasco, cursed: I warned him that it was puree, but am slowly, as in God created the world, slowly, converting him. First date discussion was a difference in opinion about hot food. (imo: good dating topic.)

Yeah: those are pretty autumnal colors. Makes me dread winter less. Again, thanks so much!

I have been playing around with sauces and mashes, so I've been digging through old posts to learn as much as I can. I came across this, and my mouth watered. All I can really say is well done.. They all look great. But the fatalii pinapple color, that deep orange/yellow...(school bus if we have to have that argument) looks great...Anyway, I'm sure this will come back from page 3 and more people can see your work... Thanks

Kempire said:
I have been playing around with sauces and mashes, so I've been digging through old posts to learn as much as I can. I came across this, and my mouth watered. All I can really say is well done.. They all look great. But the fatalii pinapple color, that deep orange/yellow...(school bus if we have to have that argument) looks great...Anyway, I'm sure this will come back from page 3 and more people can see your work... Thanks

Thanks, Mike! Would love to hear how you're doing mashes, as am starting maybe three of three different types tomorrow with frozen pods. 2 gallons worth. Adding carrots, onion, garlic to the fermentations, or might do one straight up. If you've not seen this yet, it's a good tutorial (and debate); am doing versions of all three. Wild, whey, and RocketMan/Bill's hooch from sourdough starter. Might even roast, lightly smoke a few for the hooch one with some apple-wood. Light smoke/brief, at really low temps. Dry them out too much otherwise. Frozen pods gotta go to make freezer space for 2013 late pods. Anyhow, this site is so wonderful as people help each other and the folks who have stuff down to an art, even a selling art, will share their experience. And that Fatalii Pineapple Lime is pretty hot. Think I got some yellow bhuts in the mix, accidentally. :rofl: smh. Would love to hear what you're doing! Peace. Annie

Looks gooooot!
Question about the bourbon,leaving it out,will it mess with the taste?
Also what was the "zing" like...spicy?
I made some jam last year,and loved how it had bite...then went away almost as fast as it came. It was really cool seeing peoples reactions..
Face: surprised it taste so good
1 sec later,the face changed to...WTF did I just eat???
literally one sec later...Whoa its not hot anymore...how'd you do that?
So since then,I've had "that concept" at the top of my list,when making foods/addatives that don't typically use spices as ingredients.

Fremp said:
Looks gooooot!
Question about the bourbon,leaving it out,will it mess with the taste?
Also what was the "zing" like...spicy?
I made some jam last year,and loved how it had bite...then went away almost as fast as it came. It was really cool seeing peoples reactions..
Face: surprised it taste so good
1 sec later,the face changed to...WTF did I just eat???
literally one sec later...Whoa its not hot anymore...how'd you do that?
So since then,I've had "that concept" at the top of my list,when making foods/addatives that don't typically use spices as ingredients.

Hiya Kyle! I don't know that leaving it out messes with the taste, but then I've not tasted without, so . . . adds to depth of flavor profile, I think. Yeah, vanilla beans are great way to make hot jams that do that! And not sure what you mean about "zing." But they was some zing going on with Fatalii Pineapple Lime! And sheer pain with Tabasco puree. :rofl: Whew. I've cut that and added smoked sea salts, different vinegars, agave, to just "toss in some molasses, mustard, and make Q sauce." Mixed it with cinnamon jelly . . . got almost Tiger Sauce . . . Goes long way. Good on beef stuff. That was more to "breathless agony" ;)  than zing!

When making the Fatalii Pineapple sauce, would you combine all ingredients into a pot and simmer?  or should I simmer in the pineapple juice and then add the lime juice? 

I have 14 Fatalii peppers about about 22 small orange habaneros I was going to combine into one sauce. total weight of peppers is 5.2 ozs 

-=Jason=-

annie57's been MIA since Oct2014,  but my name is Annie and even though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.... (:lol: )  I'd throw everything in the pot and simmer it up. 
Check out Hot Sauce 101

Have Fun!

Back