• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bahamian Goat Pepper

The Bahamian Goat Pepper is fast becoming one of my favorite Caribbean yellows, maybe even beating out Scotch Bonnet and Bonda ma Jacques. The flavor and aroma are outstanding, the heat level is formidable, the plants are quite robust and productive, and the pods are enigmatic, because I can't tell what color they are. Depending on the light, they are either orange, yellow, or peach, and the insides have a "frosty" layer that I've not seen in other chiles. Seeds for these plants came from capsidadburn:

goat1.jpg

In some light they look orange:

goat2.jpg

In other light they look yellow:

goat4.jpg

On the inside they look peachy, with a nice thick layer of spicy "frosting:"

goat5.jpg

With the flash on you can see yellow and clear drops of chile love on the inside:

goat6.jpg

i second all the motions... its a very good tasty pepper that you can just nibble on as a snack....ive seen them peachy colored and seem ripe to me....that does supercede the bonda for me....

One of my favorites too. Mine produces some really nice bonnet shaped pods, and some become very bumpy as well. I observed them ripening from green to peach to almost orange (after a very very long time). I am surprised that they are not more popular, maybe because despite having super flavor, they are not a super hot, which is all the rage these days.

Are you sure those are Goats, mate?

I think the name "Bahamian Goat" is a little ambiguous--I've had a THP member that lives in the Bahamas tell me these aren't goats, but I also read somewhere that there are several Caribbean chinenses that go by the name Goat Pepper or Piment Bouc. It seems that what many have in common in the peachy cast, and presumably the whitish inner flesh. At at rate, I'm calling this one "Bahamian Goat (Mike F.)" When I grow out the other seeds next season I'll qualify them the same way...

I agree. It is a beautiful pepper, has great heat and flavor. One I would grow every year.
ss2plus0592_zps28baf8ce.jpg

Wow, great shot! Thanks!

i second all the motions... its a very good tasty pepper that you can just nibble on as a snack....ive seen them peachy colored and seem ripe to me....that does supercede the bonda for me....

Thanks Dennis! It's a winner for sure.

One of my favorites too. Mine produces some really nice bonnet shaped pods, and some become very bumpy as well. I observed them ripening from green to peach to almost orange (after a very very long time). I am surprised that they are not more popular, maybe because despite having super flavor, they are not a super hot, which is all the rage these days.

I'm with you, this chile is an unsung jewel...

Got any seeds i can get? Nice looking plants!

You betcha! I'm drying some now. Send me your address on the PM.

had not heard about them til recently. Want to try.

Send me your address on the PM and I'll hook you up with seeds.

I'm not sure if this post will be revelent, but here I go....
I can't remember where, but I have seen pics of "goat peppers" being sold in a market in the Bahamas, and they looked like these (peach colored and mostly bonnet shaped). I recall seeing other photos from the Bahamas showing "goat peppers" as well, and they also were mostly peach and both bonnet and habanero shaped. It seems like the peach color was a consistent characteristic though. If you have a lot of time just do a google image search and sort through them.

IMG_4085-1-1.jpg

Here's a few off a plant from this year. Peach in color with snow white placenta, Oddly enough I know someone who lived in the Bahama's for 6 yrs when his dad ran a business out of there. He's never seen one or heard of this. The chili's his mom used for the "turtle fixin's" were "pinky" shaped. Go figure......maybe these are more recently common to the
Carib, they do have some "Bonnet" resemblance

My Bahamian goat peppers colouring look almost like mini jackolanterns (minus the faces :) ) but are definately more habenero shaped then bonnet shaped. I agree one of my favourites and one of my toughest plants

Beautiful color & a very productive plant too!!!

Thanks DB!

I'm not sure if this post will be revelent, but here I go....
I can't remember where, but I have seen pics of "goat peppers" being sold in a market in the Bahamas, and they looked like these (peach colored and mostly bonnet shaped). I recall seeing other photos from the Bahamas showing "goat peppers" as well, and they also were mostly peach and both bonnet and habanero shaped. It seems like the peach color was a consistent characteristic though. If you have a lot of time just do a google image search and sort through them.

I agree, lots of variation in chiles named Goat Pepper. If you Google Piment Bouc there are some red chiles from Haiti that look neither bonnet nor hab shaped..

IMG_4085-1-1.jpg

Here's a few off a plant from this year. Peach in color with snow white placenta, Oddly enough I know someone who lived in the Bahama's for 6 yrs when his dad ran a business out of there. He's never seen one or heard of this. The chili's his mom used for the "turtle fixin's" were "pinky" shaped. Go figure......maybe these are more recently common to the
Carib, they do have some "Bonnet" resemblance

Pretty pods Greg! I was looking at the Bahamas on the map--There are quite a few islands covering a large area. Maybe the Goat Pepper isn't grown on every island...

Great looking plant Gary! I'm glad you like them. Hope your season is doing well for you.

Mike

Thanks Mike! It's good to hear from you!

My Bahamian goat peppers colouring look almost like mini jackolanterns (minus the faces :) ) but are definately more habenero shaped then bonnet shaped. I agree one of my favourites and one of my toughest plants

When I show these to people the most common response is "They look like little pumpkins!" Those would be some scary jack-o-lanterns...

Got this variety growing as well, so far I only harvested 1 pod that looked like this.

IMAG0628_.jpg

Haven't tasted it yet, but gonna use it tomorrow for my Jerk Chicken :)

That's beautiful Stefan!

I first received the Bahamian Goat Pepper about 5 years ago from a friend that had lived in the Bahamas all his life,
he had been searching for it for some while till he finally found it
The strain/variety I have is the same shape as PIC1 and yes it is also my favourite pepper for heat and flavour
I've grown it every year since I received it.

I like these too WC and will grow em again next season.

Mine are shaped similar to those posted by pepperproblem. The man is a master of photography.

Thanks for stopping by, SS!

PP's chile pix are inspired.

I first received the Bahamian Goat Pepper about 5 years ago from a friend that had lived in the Bahamas all his life,
he had been searching for it for some while till he finally found it
The strain/variety I have is the same shape as PIC1 and yes it is also my favourite pepper for heat and flavour
I've grown it every year since I received it.

Hi Grant! I received a message yesterday from the guy who sent me the seeds for these plants, capsidadburn (Mike F. in Austin, TX), who said he got his Goat seeds from a trade with you. I love this chile, and will definitely grow a full row of them next year...So, thanks! And it's nice to know something about the lineage of this particular strain.

By the way, I think I may have sent you some Nambe Pueblo seeds last year that were no good. I had 0% germination from them, anyway. If you like, I've found that Chilhuacle Rojo is pretty close, and way more vigorous and robust...I'd be happy to sent you some. Your shipment of SE Asian seeds was amazingly diverse and comprehensive. It will take me years to grow all of them!

Gary

On a only slightly related note, I have friends who regularly vacation down in the Bahamas and they brought back some seeds of what they are calling the Bohemian goat pepper, but this one is a small red pepper that grows pointing up like a Tabasco or bird pepper. Do people in the Bahamas name all their hot peppers goat peppers to confuse the visitors?

Back