• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scratch's Outdoor 2013 - planted out finally.

Alright, the season is officially over in Vermont, so it's time to fire up the lights and grow some peppers indoors. This is always my favorite part about winter. I love being able to come home after work and still have some sunshine to play in. Considering it gets dark around 4:30 in the deepest parts of winter, I'll take any sunlight I can get!

I'm giving hydroponics a go this winter, so this will be a huge learning experience for me. But, if we didn't learn something new each time, it would get pretty boring, wouldn't you say?

Alright, peppers!

Plants are currently under 3 2' 4100k T8 lights, 17w each for a total of 51w of light.
DWC buckets with GH Flora series nutrients

carolinareaper.jpg

This is my Carolina Reaper(hp22-b) seeding. She's about 7 weeks old. She's obviously stunted, considering her age, but I'm not in any rush to have a monster plant. Besides, I've already learned something from her, rockwool sucks. I am definitely not buying anymore after I use up what i have on hand. From what I've seen, rapid rooters are the way to go.

This is my Scotch Bonnet seedling. 11 weeks old, and finally coming into the growth spurt stage. She grows a half inch or more every day!

scottybon2.jpg

scottybon.jpg

scottybon3.jpg

scottybon4.jpg

As you can see, she's starting to flower.
Can anyone identify the browning on the lower leaves? I think I may have spilled some of the soup on them when changing out the reservoir, but maybe it's something else.

This is a Bhut Jolokia that I've been growing since November of last year. I've nearly killed it 3 times now, and everytime it drops all it's leaves from stress, they bounce right back. So I figure, what the hell. Let's see how many lives this cat has.
Jolokia.jpg

And last but not least, my mango. 6 months old.

mango.jpg

Once i get the space cleared out, these will all be moved into a 2'x3' tent with a 250w HPS lamp. Until then, I don't mind keeping them small and slow growing.

That's all for now, thanks for stopping in.

Scratch

Nice set up you got going. Plants are looking good!

It's tough to tell from the pic, does it look like a fungus/mold? The yellowing along the edges of those leaves might be fert burn, try cutting back a little on the nutes next feeding and see if that helps.

It's definitely not fungus or mold. Probably just nute burn. I'll just got a tad lighter next time I change the soup.

In other news, the tent should have enough space in about 4 days, give or take.

I'm seriously thinking about starting my Manzanos and Chinense varieties with a DWC rig similar to yours before transplanting outside this spring...I'll be reading up and keeping an eye here.

Nice looking Mango too! Cheers

You should! DWC is surprisingly simple. And really easy to DIY. All my buckets were fabricated from 2 gallon sauerkraut buckets I stole from work. A little reflective duct tape to lightproof them and you're good to go.

With Sandy on her way here to New England, I'm concerned about power outages. What's the best way to care for these plants if it goes out for as long as some people are predicting?

Pull the plant out of the reservoir every once in a while, pour the solution into another bucket back and forth a few times to oxygenate it a little bit then put the plant back in for a few hours. I would almost let the roots dry out a bit too but not too long.

Update time. It's been a couple weeks.

Sandy didn't hit us like we expected, so the power never went out. That eased a lot of stress. The Scotch Bonnet is moving along nicely.
uphigh.jpg

Here is the Scotch Bonnet from above. As you can see, it's filling out nicely, and has started budding. I switched it to a bloom nutrient solution, and I'm hoping that moves things along without too much trouble.
upclose.jpg

Looking at the same plant from the side. Do those leaves look nitrogen deficient to you? That's my first guess, but I'm still not 100% sure. Maybe someone with a little more experience can help me out.
rootball.jpg

And lastly, the roots of the Scotch B. Nice and white. I love looking at these things everytime I change the reservoir. Makes me feel like a mad scientist!

reaperab.jpg

Carolina Reaper. This plant is very slow growing for me, kind of frustrating honestly. Especially after seeing lock's Reapers. Not really much to report on with this plant.

floodanddrain.jpg

floodanddrain2.jpg

This is a Flood and Drain system i'm currently DIY'ing. I got some Fatalli seeds last week from a friend, so I might throw a couple in there. I've never tried F&D before, so anyone with experience please feel free to chime in. I wont really be able to fire this bad boy up until I get my hands on a timer for the water pump, and since I'm not woring right now, frivolous spending taes a spot on the backburner.

Anyways, that's what I've got going at the moment. The Bhut is still chugging along, but not really anything photo worthy at the moment. More on that plant next time.

Looking good, I would try to add some cal mag to see if that helps the yellowing. I've not used GH series in a while, but when I did I had success using 2 part bloom to 1 part micro, not sure what they recommend on their chart.

The flood table looks a little different than what I have used in the past. Usually both the overflow and flood/drain holes are drilled into the bottom of the table. I can't see from the pic how the table will drain when the pump isn't on.

The PVC pipe has a small hole drilled in the side near the bottom that drains slightly slower than the pump fills. Then the opening at the top will prevent any overflow.

That should work then, I couldn't see the hole at the bottom of the overflow pvc. Not sure if you have already but you will want to throw an airstone in the res to help with mixing the nutes.

Oh I plan on it. I've got a couple extras lying around.

Do you have experience with General Organics? I've got a bottle of CaMag+, but I'm worried adding organic matter to the reservoir might not be wise.

scratchzilla, great pictures and beautiful plants … I’d be like a fish out of water in the north :D but I'd love to try a hydroponic grow one year.

Update: My pH meter is f'ed up. I think the batteries are low, so i'll try replacing them when I can scrape together the scratch for it. As you can see, the Scotch Bonnet is in a little trouble, so I'm going to be keeping a super close eye on it.

113020121.jpg

11302012.jpg

She is budding up nicely though, so if I can get my pH issues nailed down, I should have some flowers/pods soon.
113020122.jpg

And the roots are nice and fluffy, white, and getting bigger.
113020123.jpg

That's all for now, next update will have pics of the Carolina Reaper and Bhut Jolokia, and maybe if they pop, some Fatali seedlings.

Zack.

Nice roots there. Are you adding any cal mag? That might be a calcium deficiency, and cal mag also acts as a buffer for the ph.

It won't hurt anything, but it won't work as well as synthetics in the dwc since most organic nutes are heavy/thicker some of it will sink to the bottom. Give it a try it might help.

Back