• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Okay i have never seen green or blue seeds. Please indulge me:)
Hi Jamie
It's fairly common for commercial seed sellers to coat their seeds with anti-fungal compounds, and to add a little dye as well so it's obvious that the seeds were treated and to keep the different batches separate. The seeds BootsieB sent from Korea were blue, green red and orange...

yup yup. thiram is usually what they coat them with. i bought some fancy dutch greenhouse cultivars that are treated with thiram and are colored orange.

thiram is great at preventing damping off when the plants are young.

yup yup. thiram is usually what they coat them with. i bought some fancy dutch greenhouse cultivars that are treated with thiram and are colored orange.

thiram is great at preventing damping off when the plants are young.
Hi Tim
Thanks for stopping by. How much longer before you can start out in Houston? As close to the Gulf as you are, you must be having pretty much the same weather as romy...

like February?

but in all reality you can grow year round if you are willing to carry your plants inside during especially cold nights for the... like 6 weeks that we have them.
we still have like another month or so before we see frost.

Nice selection of seeds! I am interested to see things progress as you move to the next stages.
Hi Stefan
Thanks for stopping by. I sat down with my seed list and decided what I want to plant this coming season. Unless something dramatic happens to change my mind, the final list looks like this:

C. Annuum -
Hungarian Sweet Paprika
Alma Paprika
Marconi Rosso
Antohi Romanian
Korea Winner
Ancho Mulato
Mirasol/Guajillo
Zapotec Jalapeno
Serrano
Holy Mole Hybrid
Chilhuacle Negro
Cascabel
Chimayo
NuMex Improved 6-4 Anaheim
Georgia Flame

C. Baccatum -
Aji Omnicolor
Criolla Sella

C. Chinense -
Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero
Hot Paper Lantern Habanero (I think it's about the same as the Maya Red Hab)
TS 7-pot Yellow

C. Pubiscens -
Orange Manzano

The plan is to start the Manzanos and Chinense varieties inside around the first of the year, and the Annuums and Baccatums the end of February to have them ready for planting outside around the third week in April... weather permitting.

Good luck growing those Omnicolors, Rick. It's a great pepper.
I had forgotten how good they are until i ate one harvesting the
last batch of pods.

Looking forward to Stick'13!

Good luck growing those Omnicolors, Rick. It's a great pepper.
I had forgotten how good they are until i ate one harvesting the
last batch of pods.

Looking forward to Stick'13!
Hi Paul!
My wife likes the Annuums and Omnicolors... I think she'll like the Criolla Sella too. We'll have to see about the rest over time...

Hey Rick, are the sweet paprikas you have on your grow list those round ones that look a lot like apples when they ripen? A couple of years back I grew a different type that were pointed and had a more traditional pepper look, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name was.

Hey Rick, are the sweet paprikas you have on your grow list those round ones that look a lot like apples when they ripen? A couple of years back I grew a different type that were pointed and had a more traditional pepper look, but I can't for the life of me remember what the name was.
I don't think so, but I'll have to ask Baláz. Where he could, he added variety names, but some he got from a friend of his who had grown them this season, and some he got from his fiancee's Grandfather before he passed away earlier this year. He sent two varieties of almapaprika (the apple shaped peppers, one sweet and the other mildly hot), what we call "cheese peppers" here and the Hungarians call "tomato peppers" since they look like a beefsteak tomato, and a few others. All are early varieties, since the Hungarian pepper growing region is the equivalent of zone 4. Most are round, but some are not. The heat levels and color when ripe vary widely between them. This link may help... http://europeantrave...ope/paprika.php

Hi Paul!
My wife likes the Annuums and Omnicolors... I think she'll like the Criolla Sella too. We'll have to see about the rest over time...
Liking the Omnicolors is a step in the right direction!

Thanks, that link did jog my memory. The ones I grew a couple of years ago were called kalocsa paprikas, and they were absolutely amazing! I grew the almas this year, and I could not stop assorted bugs from burrowing into them and setting up shop.

Thanks, that link did jog my memory. The ones I grew a couple of years ago were called kalocsa paprikas, and they were absolutely amazing! I grew the almas this year, and I could not stop assorted bugs from burrowing into them and setting up shop.
Thanks for the heads-up... I'll try to remember to keep a close eye on them. Do you have a lot of wild nightshades or cornfields in your area?

Liking the Omnicolors is a step in the right direction!
You bet! It was one of the things that attracted me to her. :dance:

To be honest I never really checked out what type of critters were in there. I am not good with bug identification to begin with, so when I saw them I lit the pests on fire (kind of a rage thing) and then tossed the peppers out. My most vivid memory of the whole thing was finding poop specks all over the insides of the peppers when I tried cutting them open.

Back