• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Utilizing grubs for compost

im sure lots have heard that this years nemesis was GRUBs... japanese larvae grubs.. the beetles consumed my apples, calamansi and avocados....they lay eggs in the soil and thrive is moist soil... anyway i minimize planting in ground to prevent from my plants from dying.. well this year... even in my containers they settled there.. no safe haven for me....tried putting spectrazide and milky spore with little success... ran into this youtube video and decided to put them to use...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7HnTV4szU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA0dx1moLoM

The second one is Black Soldier Flies and those things are absolutely insane in how much they can eat in such a short period of time. Also if you have chicken or fish or even reptiles you can feed the larva to them.

I always find some in my recycled soil totes,I'm sure they do help but I always remove them when I find them! Not trying to help there species thrive.Kill,kill,kill them sucka's then add them to the compost for the worms!

I have only seen grubs in my compost pile, and only every once and awhile. Until reading your posts about your problems DeNNiZ, I did not know they were a pest.

I can't remember ever seeing them in my garden. I am constantly putting stuff in my compost, and bugs seem to come around when I put things like rice in there. It could be that keeping them so well fed by my compost keep them out of my garden.

Thanks for posting about these guys, I didn't realize they could be a threat to my peppers.

I have only seen grubs in my compost pile, and only every once and awhile. Until reading your posts about your problems DeNNiZ, I did not know they were a pest.

I can't remember ever seeing them in my garden. I am constantly putting stuff in my compost, and bugs seem to come around when I put things like rice in there. It could be that keeping them so well fed by my compost keep them out of my garden.

Thanks for posting about these guys, I didn't realize they could be a threat to my peppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KVpTylnRSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSK7mDTmdu8

Remember that there are many different grub types. Some are benign, or even beneficial, to your peppers. Read more about the BSF larvae above. I've been using them for years and they are mean waste-destroying machines, make bitchin' compost, and are harmless to you and your plants. The gross factor wears off. :)

Remember that there are many different grub types. Some are benign, or even beneficial, to your peppers. Read more about the BSF larvae above. I've been using them for years and they are mean waste-destroying machines, make bitchin' compost, and are harmless to you and your plants. The gross factor wears off. :)

Its not just their larvae that are harmless to humans and our pets. They do not feed as adults nor do they like interaction with things larger than them so they are generally scared to come around us and say our foods.

Its not just their larvae that are harmless to humans and our pets. They do not feed as adults nor do they like interaction with things larger than them so they are generally scared to come around us and say our foods.

Exactly! And IIRC, the adults don't even have mouthparts. No eating = no pooping = no disease. They're just love-makin' machines!

Kind of a small miracle of nature. These things rock. Especially if you have chickens.

Exactly! And IIRC, the adults don't even have mouthparts. No eating = no pooping = no disease. They're just love-makin' machines!

Kind of a small miracle of nature. These things rock. Especially if you have chickens.

Yup, cant eat or poop.

Also great if you have fish like say in aquaponics... :)

To the uninitiated, though, they do take some getting used to. At first, they resemble the appearance and sound frequency of a wasp. After awhile, you can discern between the two, but it can be unnerving at first. For those of us that have had bad experiences with wasps. lol.

I hate wasps. They hurt worse than scorpions and are far more aggressive.

Back