• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Upside Down Planters

I've seen these and been curious but they're a little on the expensive side for me, but last year almost every one of my eggplants were cut from the plant then chewed a little and left right there. I managed to get a few by dowsing the whole plants with pepper but every time it rained those little bastards got the better of me. Between the squirrels, bunnies, raccoons and whatever else i haven't seen already I'm starting to consider getting one of these to at least try out.
Has anyone used them before? Any info will be appreaciated, I'm assuming they're reusable, i don't have any idea what to hang it on or how heavy it'll be. I might still wait on this one...

We had a whole thread about it. I forget who did it, but one of our elustrious members here bought one and planted a pepper in it. From what I could tell, it worked amazingly well.

hrm.. i'll start searching through the backlogs i guess. D'you think i could make my own with like a bucket or something? i just don't know what would hold the stem of the plant securely with out hurting/hindering it...

I am using a miniature homemade upside down planter for an indoor winter project. Its just a simple 3 litre bottle with the bottom removed and the top heated and pushed inside to form a water resivor. I just filled it with garden soil and added a small seedling, it is currently hanging in my kitchen window and has developed into a very small yet very bushy orange habanero plant. The only thing I am a little worried about is will the stem, which has curved around to seek the sunlight, be able to support the weight of pods once the plant starts flowering.

I bought some to try with tomatoes, we have so many soil borne diseases around here. Amazon.com had some on sale, so I bought one for myself and one for my sister for Christmas. They were only $7.00. You might look in stores that carry "As seen on TV" stuff, sometimes they have the Topsy Turvy brand.

Potawie was the one who had some peppers in one last year. I think he also mentioned knowing a way to make your own? Potawie?

Hey Dethwind, can you explain how you heated the bottle and got the mouth turned inside out? How hot do you have to get it, and what did you use as a heat source?

Dethwind said:
Here is the plan i found for the planter, i just used a 3 litre bottle for more root space.

http://ohcripes.com/?page_id=47

I didnt have a heat gun so i carefully heated the bottle above the gas stove in my kitchen.

Oh thanks!

That does look easy, and in the comments it says you can use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Pam said:
Oh thanks!

That does look easy, and in the comments it says you can use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Yeah, I saw the suggestion to use a hair dryer, the only hair dryer I have is about 15 years old and doesnt produce enough heat to soften the bottle. :(

awesome dethwind, that super helps. i kinda tried making one on my own but that link really fills in some gaps (like i was wondering how to use it inside cuz it would just leak all over but that reservoir is genius).
amazon will only ship books to canada (laaame) but i think theres a store in town that sells seen on tv stuff, i'll check it out (if its cheap i'll buy one just to steal their ideas, but the cheapest i've found is 18 bucks).

habman said:
Here's the link to Ptawie's upside down pepper.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=2676

oh thank you so much, i've been searching through the backlogs for this post but i'm way too ADD for that (plus you guys have been around a while...) and apparently passed right over it cuz i went waaaay passed that date...
ok, i'm totally sold on this, i'm gonna try a baccatum this year to get the hang of it then branch out to others next year. my grad school chile options just widened :)
I tried mutating a 3L bottle with a hair dryer and ended up with a deformed buckled mess, now i have to wait 'til i find another bottle... i think that's going to be the hardest part, i don't drink enough for this...

Cool glad you got your answer. Now answer this: Why TF is this thread in the "All Foods" Section??lol Did you know that there is a forum for growing techniques?

Just giving you a hard time.;)

i was originally just gonna grow eggplant in them this summer, thats why i talk so much about critters stealing my eggplant in my original post... the grad school pepper farm was just a happy sidenote....

I haven't decided what to grow upside-down this year but was thinking of maybe a chupetinha or an orange thai or something else that's loaded with small peppers.

I've been thinking about this more and more, especially for a tomato plant I can grow in the office's front window. I cannot find any 3-liter bottles in Cincinnati, plus I'm fairly sure a tomato plant would get root-bound rather quickly. What I do have is a nice 10-inch planter. I'm trying to figure out what I am missing, it seems too simple - cut a hole in the bottom of it, large enough to push the roots through. Put some plastic around the bottom where the roots come through, just so water and dirt don't leak out. Fill with dirt/potting soil. The top is 12 inches wide, plus it is nine inches deep, plenty of room for the roots to grow. My only concern would be the roots growing through the dirt.

Mike

Back