• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first sauce with peppers, peaches, and bourbon

Hello friends. I made my first sauce last night. It's sweet and spicy, I call it Hurricane Sauce.

d6ba50b2222411e28abf22000a1f9bf5_7.jpg

Ingredients (approximate)

2 cups fresh peaches
3 cups of hot peppers (red and green habanero, jalapeno, serrano, cherry red hot, and one Bhut Jolokia I grew myself)
Juice of 3 limes
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
6oz bourbon (Elijah Craig 12)
1 tbsp fresh ginger
Pinch of salt

Preparation

Simmer everything for 20 minutes.
Blend, taste, and adjust.
Back in the pot, simmer for another 20.
Bottle.

The flavor right now is very sweet up front and, like a habanero, the heat creeps up on you and is pretty strong. Nothing crazy but most of my friends wouldn't eat it. The sweetness subsides leaving a nice burn and then you can taste caramel and vanilla from the bourbon.

Next time I'll leave out the brown sugar, it's not needed at all.

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips and recipes.

Welcome to the Forums GloryFish. The sauce looks good. something to consider, don't leave out the Brown Sugar in your next batch as it is a part of the overall flavor profile. If it's just adding too much sweet, try reducing it to a tablespoon. If it was just white sugar then I'd say yeah, leave it out but Brown sugar has more than just a sweetness to it. JMHO.

Cheers,
RM

Thanks for the kind words all.

Welcome to the Forums GloryFish. The sauce looks good. something to consider, don't leave out the Brown Sugar in your next batch as it is a part of the overall flavor profile. If it's just adding too much sweet, try reducing it to a tablespoon. If it was just white sugar then I'd say yeah, leave it out but Brown sugar has more than just a sweetness to it. JMHO.

Cheers,
RM

That's a good tip, maybe I won't dial it back so much.

Last night I made chicken skewers and coated them liberally with Hurricane Sauce. The sweetness definitely wasn't a problem in that context. In fact, I'm glad my first sauce has big flavors. Imagine how disappointing a wimpy sauce would have been...

I'll definitely be tweaking this recipe. I want to find a nice balance between the fruit/vanilla flavors that are going on.

I'll definitely be tweaking this recipe. I want to find a nice balance between the fruit/vanilla flavors that are going on.

JMHO, couple of things to consider when tweaking it.

1. Split a Vanilla Bean, scrape it out and add that and the bean to the sauce while simmering. Just remember to remove the seed before blending.
2. If you want to use something other than the Brown Suger to reduce the sweet some try using Agave nectar, Honey or evern adding some Pineapple for a sweet/sourness. A little Apple would go good with the bourbon too.

Cheers,
RM

Back