• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Best sauce for showcasing rocotos (and other C. pubescens)

I didn't get a lot of rocotos this year, but I'm eager to put them to use. They're a lot smaller than the ones I'd enjoyed stuffed in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo, so the question is then: how do I make the most of them? I figure you can't go too wrong with a sauce strategy, but what is the best aproach/recipe for highlighting their flavor? Amy advice?

Rocoto yelly is my favourite this year really brings out the taste. Can link you to the recipe if you are interested it is easy to make. I used lemon juice instead of vinegar
Did you grow Rocotos from seeds you brought back from your trip there? Got any pictures?

Any basic sauce recipe will give you a good showcase for the peppers. It's when you start using a lot of "special" ingredients that you can start to loose the pure pepper flavor. Try making a sauce of:

Peppers
Onion
Garlic
Carrots

After you make the sauce let it sit for a week or 2 then give it a try.

Cheers,
RM

I did not have enough Rocoto's to use other than eating---the plants are only one year old.

But for the peppers that have enough I am lactose-bacteria fermenting them for 90 days and then bottling them as that without any additives. That is so I have a record of the flavor of the pepper and can be evaluated.

Good luck

Back