• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wild Game & Hot Peppers

Made up some squirrel and dumplings yesterday. Used my 4 quart cast iron dutch. Thinking back to how hot the thai peppers were in my other dishes, I opted of a tablespoon of chopped thai peppers in this dish. It was about all the heat I wanted in my food. Once I quit eating the heat went away, but there was some nice eye sweat while eating this dish.

Squirrel-Dumpling-Thai.jpg

i love me some squirrel,havent had any in years. maybe its time to set up a couple squirrel poles?

The recipe is just made up as I go as it is not written down.

Brown squirrel in skillet. Add to crockpot with some beef stock or just water and onion soup mix and simmer until it is falling off the bone (good on them older squirrels). Next remove the bones and leave all the good stuff in a bowl.

Get some soup stock, I usually use water with some good quality beef base in it. Add in whatever spices you want, I like garlic as my main spice there. In a saute pan, I saute up some celery, onions, mushrooms, and hot pepper of your choice.

Once the stock is boiling, I add my dumplins to the pot slowly. This is a painstaking process to me. Dumplins are made with egg, flour, and a little quality chicken base. I make mine a little looser than spoon dumplins. It doesn't take them long to get done. Once done, I remove with a slotted spoon.

I then add the squirrel mix in and let it simmer 15 minutes. Then I do a flavor test and adjust to where I want it to be. In another pan I had been making roux. You can thicken it with a gravy mix too, but I prefer the roux. The longer you cook the roux, the less flour taste you will have, just don't burn your roux.

I thicken it to where I like it and then I taste it again. Some Kitchen Bouquet can be added to darken up the gravy. I then gently put the dumplins back in. The reason for removing them is so that they don't get blown apart while stirring in the roux.

This is an ancient family recipe, so don't tell anyone shhhhhh :)

OMG my Grandma used to prepare that, I hated cleaning the squirrels tough hides...

I have a video on youtube on how to clean a squirrel and make it look easy. There are some other methods out there, but I grew up with this one and it just requires a small knife.

Sic how did the gator turn out?

Lets see that gator on a plate!!!!!!

I've been out a few times, just wasn't getting into it early in the season. I still have a lot of deer still in the freezer and for some odd reason a lot of space is taken up by stuffed peppers lol.

Looking for bigger antlers this year since my 5 freezers are fairly full and I have half a hog on the way.

Hi Bodeen, Rabbit is just classic! Here's a Portuguese recipe you might like that uses PiriPiri sauce and Paprika powder...

http://www.food.com/recipe/braised-rabbit-portuguese-style-coelho-estufado-220707

Cheers!

My latest dish, Red Savina Chili. I used 3 quarts of my whole tomatoes and a couple pounds of venison burger in this dish. I then added a 1/2 teaspoon of red savina powder to the mix figuring that would give me a base point and I can spice it up as needed after it cooked a while. That was enough. Heat didn't linger in the mouth too much, but it left a bit of a burn in the belly. Pretty tasty.

Chili12222012.jpg

Made up some walleye with lemon drop pepper powder. Actually made the edges of my tongue go numb. Good flavor added to the fish too. Love this pepper.

LDWalleye.jpg

The lemon pepper really added a unique flavor to this dish. The heat was a slow building back of the throat burn that built as you ate. Could have used a bit more heat. Lovely flavor though.

SquirrelandDump.jpg

Back