• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pepper Powder Vs. Fresh Peppers...

OK, did a search, though quick, on swapping out fresh pepper for dried pepper...I am looking to make a "hotter" hot sauce and have up to this point only used fresh peppers. I am looking to add some "Bhut Jolokia" powder, but for sake of this question I would like to work with a more universal pepper the Habanero. So with that said here is what I would like advice on - One fresh Habanero Peppers = How many many grams of habanero pepper powder?

Thank you all...

Chris
We Add Spice
www.weaddspice.com

There is a whole thread on this exact question of weight to powder. I'll see if I can find it...

Here is part of what was in the thread "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1 tablespoon is roughly 7 peppers, so 1 teaspoon would be like one large pod. " [/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Based on that I can tell you, ALL my powders are 7 grams to 1 level [/background]tablespoon

I would love to see the original post as well to get as much info as possible - knowing the thread topic should make it easier to find.

With that said, I want to thank you for breaking it down for me - that is a lot less than I would have suspected (powder volume to individual pepper).

Do you have experience with pepper powder? (maybe this should be saced for the other thread, not sure). I met a competitor at a chili fest, we both had booths, and he was very willing to talk about his process - he uses a lot of pepper powders in his sauces for ease of mass production, I am still 100% fresh top to bottom, but could use a heat boost from a more rare pepper. Some of the peppers I want to work with are hard to get your hands on and pepper powder seems to afford that type of flexibility and consistancy.

Thank you!

Pepper powder is what I do, notice the link in my signature. :) Also I have a decent selection of powders, some not listed yet.

Here is the thread

http://thehotpepper....ock#entry696478

I did not notice, sorry! I certainly appreciate your inside wisdom! I will check your site out...if you are at all interested, I have a great selection of hot sauces and love to barter!

Chris

If you are looking for rare powders, you have found the right place to get them! Lots of selection around here.

Thats what I was hoping! I have used jamaican chocolate pepper in the past and would love to get into some of my sauces...and some bhut jolokia to spice up some things....

Chris

I see where you got the 7 peppers=1 TBSP in the other thread, but shouldn't a teaspoon be about 2 1/3 peppers, not one?

http://www.cookograp...onversion-chart
It depends on the pod weight to begin with. There is no exact answer. It would be safer to assume 1 large pod like a Giant Jalapeno is fine but maybe 2 normal super hots. Thin walled, less fleshy pods are much lighter.

I just knew the weight of a tablespoon of powder since I deal with powder so often. I also weighed a few pods for the previous thread to assist.

Back