• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

powder from frozen pods?

I've got about a pound of Choc habs in the freezer. I've been ripening them in paper bags with a banana, adding a few prime ones to the freezer bag each day. I'm ready to start oven-drying them today. I'm thinking of laying the first batch out on my propagation heating pad to thaw before halfing them to go into the oven. Does anyone see a problem with this method? I know frozen pods are always mushy, but I'm thinking that shouldn't matter in this case. Any suggestions on how I could do this better? I don't have a dehydrator so all of my powders are oven-dried. The only reason I've been freezing is to dry as many as possible at once and save electricity. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks folks. I'm so used to consuming peppers raw or putting them straight into the oven from harvest that I think freezing them has become sort of a last resort in my mind. Can't wait to try these powdered.

was just about to say what romy had said.. because romy had mentioned it to me.. =D... :onfire: ..... :rofl: .. but i would slice them while frozen... less messy and oil wont fly at your eyes as much.. =D

+1 to just slice them in half while frozen, straight into the oven.

Who are they, anyway? :lol:

i do it all the time(dehydrate from frozen, i am currently still harvesting fatalii, scorpions and 7 pot)........... i might be one of "them"..... i know when the wife doesn't want to address something i become "we" - like "we" must call our daughter's teacher or "we" better get new tires or "we" should renovate the house!

No problems. Just cut them in half while partly still frozen, or with scissors if thawed before putting in the dehydrator or oven.
You may lose a bit of extra juice if waiting till they are thawed.
I don't notice any differnece in flavor, but seems they turn out a bit darker.

For the record, I dried 2 dozen mostly frozen habs today and it took just over half the usual time. I'd say you guys are right, I'll report the powdered weight of the 24 tomorrow once they come out of the coffee grinder. The heating pad thawed them just enough to slice easily in 10 minutes for all those who have them.

sweet! glad to hear THEY were right. :)

ps- LOL to burning colon's "we" :rofl:

The frozen Habs DID dry in the oven a couple hours sooner than they do fresh. 24 Choc Habs became 15 grams of amazing cocoa powder ;). Got about another 2 dozen or so accumulating in the freezer in preparation for the Bhut/Cow Horn/Jalapeno/Choc Hab/Cayenne blend powder I'm making next week.

LOL. I have been using chest freezer space at my neighbors for overload. I got loads of joy during harvest when sending him a few messages saying I had 2 or 3 more Kilos to bring over.

Back