• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippas Organic story of 2012/2013....things could be worse ...

So far my season has gone like this ... goood ... average ... great ... bad .... things are on the up ... and today .... pretty f&^%king annoyed and frustrated ....so many pests ... and the plants are looking much worse then this time last season (when I had no pests to speak of). I had aphids early on during winter ... they were easy to clear off and didn't bother me too much ...

but I have since been having major issues with thrips and broadmites?? (some sort of mite anyway) tiny little buggers which are about the size of a spec of flour (smaller then two spotted or spider mites). So My plants lurch from looking good to looking really terrible and then they bounce back for a while only to be hammered all over again.

Anyway through all of this I am getting some pods to eat so that is a bonus I suppose.

My grow list is as follows

7 pod/pot "Primo" (Junglerain)
Cili Goronong (Junglerain)
Jalapeno "HTM" (Sourced myself)
Prik Luang (Junglerain)
Fatalii (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Seasoning (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Pepperlover)
Kerinting (Accidental Hybrid Unknown??) (Pepperlover)
2 x Mystery Superhots (1 maybe Trnindad Scorpion "Sunrise"? From Jungle Rain)
Chocolate Bhut (Bonchi)(THSC)
Yellow 7 pot/pod (THSC)
Super Chilli (THSC)
Explosive Ember (THSC)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (Junglerain)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Pimenta De Neyde (Soon to be Bonchi)(Junglerain)
Bhut Jolokia 'Assam' (Junglerain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (Junglerain)
Habanero Chocolate (Bonchi)(Junglerain)
NTR's (THSC)
Douglah 'Alphanerdz strain' (THSC)
Wild Brazil (Pepperlover)
Birdseye HTM (Sourced myself)
Serrano (THSC)
7 Pot (Large) (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Pepperlover)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Original seed from THSC but this seed from saved pods from last season)

All of them are strictly organically grown in soil in containers in the limited space of my apartment balcony ...

I am not much of a wordsmith so I usually like to post plenty of pictures of pods (if I have any in the coming months!!) so come and enjoy/share the frustrations of growing in the most pest ridden area in the world :D ... I will post a few photos I shot today later this evening ...

Also thought I would link to my old glog as well just for posterity and self indulgence :) ;) :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/26495-trippas-20112012-grow-log/page__st__240

Mate, I feel your pain (having been wiped out by whitefly and broadmite last year.....and shaping up for the same again this year).

All we can do is try, and experiment.

I'm sure one day soon we'll find the silver bullet against ^&$%^#^$&%^ broadmite.

Speck of flour/smaller than spider mite.... deffo sounds like broad mite. Bugger. That sucks! Are you getting the curling and bronzing?

Great to hear you are still pulling in some pods though! But I have to ask.... where are the pics?? C'mon, Trips, you know the rules. :snooty: :P

The odds are really against us here, but you know what, we battle and we still make it happen! :D

Mate, I feel your pain (having been wiped out by whitefly and broadmite last year.....and shaping up for the same again this year).

I'm sure one day soon we'll find the silver bullet against ^&$%^#^$&%^ broadmite.

And try we do!

I'm convinced there is no silver bullet though. The best I've done against 'em is predator mites. They worked like a charm in the cooler season but it appears the ^&$%^#^$&%^ broad mite are populating too damn quick now that it's heated up and the predator mites can't keep up. I released another lot not so long ago so maybe they just need a chance to populate. It's just so hard to hold back on spraying while I wait!

Yep ... try and try again ... Some people envy this climate but honestly for growing most things I would prefer the cooler climates with much less and easier to control pests and diseases ...

anyhoo ... on with some photos ...

Speck of flour/smaller than spider mite.... deffo sounds like broad mite. Bugger. That sucks! Are you getting the curling and bronzing?

Great to hear you are still pulling in some pods though! But I have to ask.... where are the pics?? C'mon, Trips, you know the rules. :snooty: :P

The odds are really against us here, but you know what, we battle and we still make it happen! :D

Yeah curling and bronzing and death/browning off of growth tips. I had them most of last season as well and my plants managed to produce ... sure not as productively as they might but they still produce something. Just Ugly plants is all !!

Read a novel called "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi if you want a chilling view of what can happen when pests (genetically engineered) overwhelm the common farmers capability and the only alternative is to buy corporate GMO seed with an annual pest resistance similar to a flu shot. Of course the corporations create the pests too.

Birdseye%2520HTM%25202.JPG

Birdseye HTM

NTR%2527s.JPG

NTR's

Po%2520Cheong%2520Better.JPG

Po Cheong

Kerinting.JPG

Kerinting

Bonda%2520Ma%2520Jacques.JPG

Bonda Ma Jacques (from my own seed stock from last season)

Trinidad%2520Scorpion%2520Morouga%2520Blend%25202.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend

Explosive%2520Ember%2520Better%2520still.JPG

Explosive Ember

Kerinting%2520Hybrid%2520Pod.JPG

Kerinting Hybrid (From exact same seed from Pepperlover as my other Kerinting)

Kerinting%2520Hybrid%2520Flower.JPG

Kerinting Hybrid Flower ...

This Hybrid has the exact same type of growing habit as the Kerinting (ie very vigorous and branchy) but with Purple stems, tipped flowers and Purple Straight Fruit and almost blocky appearance ... no idea what it is crossed with (I thought it could be a Pimenta de Neyde judging by its pod and flower although that is already a cross) but its certainly different looking whatever it is

Jalapeno%2520HTM.JPG

Jalapeno HTM

I suppose I should go into a bit more depth with my current grow setup.

I only have a small balcony (approx 4x4metres square) so space is at a premium especially as I am only allowed about a third of that for growing. (after I took over the entire thing last season).

I am growing in Containers all Organic soil with only organic inputs which includes Amgrow organix potting mix (which I can't find anywhere in stock but I had two bags left from earlier in the year, so hopefully I can find it again as it is the only decent cheap organic potting mix I have found), Searles 5 in 1 (strangely they don't list that it contains vermicast [which would be a big selling point] on the website but it definately says it and has a picture of worms on the bags)and Organic Link Fertiliser.

Your pod shots look great!..........if you hadn't said anything about the pests no one would know. I'm hoping we have a hard freezeduring the winter.
Most people that have gardens here were dealing with "white flies" at one point or another. They tend to spread other crap around.

I've got a few overwinters indoors, ...not the army from last year but just enough to keep me busy. Also a few clones and some project crosses.
Although the grow area is clean, I still use a good magnifing glass to inspect each of the plants.

The Morouga Blend is one dangerous pepper...my original source was from (THSC), likewise with the Bonda Ma Jacques.....which is one of my favorite peppers.

You'll get a grip of the pest issue, its controllable but a nuisance to do.
Good luck with the rest of your season,

Greg

Your pod shots look great!..........if you hadn't said anything about the pests no one would know. I'm hoping we have a hard freezeduring the winter.
Most people that have gardens here were dealing with "white flies" at one point or another. They tend to spread other crap around.

I've got a few overwinters indoors, ...not the army from last year but just enough to keep me busy. Also a few clones and some project crosses.
Although the grow area is clean, I still use a good magnifing glass to inspect each of the plants.

The Morouga Blend is one dangerous pepper...my original source was from (THSC), likewise with the Bonda Ma Jacques.....which is one of my favorite peppers.

You'll get a grip of the pest issue, its controllable but a nuisance to do.
Good luck with the rest of your season,

Greg

Thanks for stopping by Greg!! Yeah its all about staying positive and trying to keep doing all my side of the deal right and hopefully those friggin pests stay at some sort of manageable level.

Mystery%2520Superhot%2520From%2520Junglerain.JPG

A Mystery Superhot from Junglerain (this has started drooping over now that it is bigger but the younger pods actually grow upright so I am thinking Trinidad Scorpion "Sunrise" But I could be quite wrong)

NTR.JPG

NTR (Choc Habs in this photo are from my plant I cut down into a Bonchi a couple of days ago)

Yellow%25207%2520pot-pod%2520First%2520Mini%2520Harvest.JPG

Yellow 7 pot/pods

Bahamian%2520Goat%2520Pepper2.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper

Yellow%25207%2520pot-pod.JPG

Another Shot of a Yellow 7 pot/pod

Read a novel called "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi if you want a chilling view of what can happen when pests (genetically engineered) overwhelm the common farmers capability and the only alternative is to buy corporate GMO seed with an annual pest resistance similar to a flu shot. Of course the corporations create the pests too.

Sounds like a good read ... and cheers for stopping by!!

Nice shots, Trips. Well worth the wait! ;)

You were right about the Organic Link. It is good stuff. Have you found somewhere else to buy it now that those Bunnings heroes no longer stock it? I just go straight to the warehouse. Not so local anymore now that I live out at Logan but worth the trip out. I mean, what, did Bunnings think I would settle for the crap they peddle now??

Nice look in' pods ey. Sounds like you got a shit load of flavor growin' on there. Hope the pests don't rattle your cage too much. Keep up the good fight Trippa.

organic? no. silver bullet? absolutely.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/abamectin-015-ec-insecticide-miticide-p-2349.html?utm_campaign=Product%20Feeds&utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=link&gclid=COqIwq6Ss7MCFe5FMgodJGcAUg
just in case you are interested.

Hey Tripp! Sorry to hear about the sucky insects. I agree with
you about the pest issues. Those long sunny growing seasons
look great, but they favor the proliferation of mean bugs, as well.
I am appreciative of that in our cool PNW climate.

But, in the long run, you have some great plants and pods to show off!
Once you get the insect issues behind you. your balcony will be over-
crowded again! Love seeing you back in the saddle, my friend!

azamax has farily poor knockdown ability from what i remember. it should be used as a preventive spray like every week or so from what i recall.
it is remarkably non toxic to non target pests however, and locally systemic/translaminar meaning it will get at the insects/mites under your leaves.

i like abamectin because its strong enough to kill mites in one application. i sometimes go half the season without having to spray anything... i just ocassionally collect suspect looking leaves and look at them under a cheapo usb microscope... when i do see mites, the plants get sprayed 2ml/gallon w/ surfactant three times spaced 3 days apart and that's that.

never tried azamax tho. maby when im out of abamectin ill give it a go just for laughs. ive been on the same 1oz bottle of abamectin for 2 years now tho, im only like 1/6th through it.

azamax has farily poor knockdown ability from what i remember. it should be used as a preventive spray like every week or so from what i recall.
it is remarkably non toxic to non target pests however, and locally systemic/translaminar meaning it will get at the insects/mites under your leaves.

i like abamectin because its strong enough to kill mites in one application. i sometimes go half the season without having to spray anything... i just ocassionally collect suspect looking leaves and look at them under a cheapo usb microscope... when i do see mites, the plants get sprayed 2ml/gallon w/ surfactant three times spaced 3 days apart and that's that.

never tried azamax tho. maby when im out of abamectin ill give it a go just for laughs. ive been on the same 1oz bottle of abamectin for 2 years now tho, im only like 1/6th through it.
yeah AzaMax works great indoors. Need to spray it once a week though. A little goes a long way.

Nice look in' pods ey. Sounds like you got a shit load of flavor growin' on there. Hope the pests don't rattle your cage too much. Keep up the good fight Trippa.

Thanks for stopping by 3/5 king. Yeah should be some good flavour once everything starts producing regularly for sure. Don't worry about the pests they won't get me down too much ... I have a few things up my sleeve still to try and one that I already use when needed which certainly helps (although complete eradication of these things is highly unlikely in this envrionment and without chemicals) keeping my plants and soil as healthy as possible is my number 1 goal to keeping pests at bay and in balance I think

organic? no. silver bullet? absolutely.
http://www.domyownpe...CFe5FMgodJGcAUg
just in case you are interested.

Thanks for stopping by queequeg152 ... thanks for your suggestion but I really only use organic additives and pest control on my garden no matter what. Plus something that is so toxic in water to most living things and and when plants and pods have such a huge percentage of water in them ... no thanks.

Hey Tripp! Sorry to hear about the sucky insects. I agree with
you about the pest issues. Those long sunny growing seasons
look great, but they favor the proliferation of mean bugs, as well.
I am appreciative of that in our cool PNW climate.

But, in the long run, you have some great plants and pods to show off!
Once you get the insect issues behind you. your balcony will be over-
crowded again! Love seeing you back in the saddle, my friend!

Hey Paul ... great to see you here!! Yeah in some ways your climate should be the envy of others with its regular rainfall and temperate climate and nice changes of season which keeps things interesting. Although you have to be on to it in order to get those chinenses to produce well in your shorter seasons ... although with your organisation that doesn't seem a worry!
Yeah hopefully the insects can be held in some sort of check/balance and I can get a good feed of chilli's again during the season and enough pods to make a few batches of my chilli jam!!
Thanks for the kind words!!

pictures look great

Thanks for looking man.

You need to get AzaMax and fast.

Thanks for stopping in jedisushi!! Yeah I have "Azamax" just in a different guise called bio-neem. As far as I am aware Azamax's active ingrediant is simply the active ingrediants from Neem (Azadirachtin A&B) so yeah I am onto that. I don't like using it too regularly though. The old adage everything in moderation is especially true and I like to use it twice in succession 7 days apart and then set it aside for a period and only use it again when I see a need for it. '
I also have an amendment in my soil which utilises neem cake as part of its ingredients to help with overall plant health. (at least thats the theory)

I have a few things up my sleeve still to try and one that I already use when needed which certainly helps

Don't be like that, mate.... we share things here! :P

Thanks for stopping by queequeg152 ... thanks for your suggestion but I really only use organic additives and pest control on my garden no matter what. Plus something that is so toxic in water to most living things and and when plants and pods have such a huge percentage of water in them ... no thanks.

Not only that, chems only do so good for so long against broad mite. The buggers grow resistance easily and at an insanely fast rate.

Back