• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Gallon Ferment with a few questions

Well as you can see its bubbling and separating like crazy. I used another ferment to get this one going and BOY was that fast using an already fermenting mash to get this one started. My question is what can i possibly put in the jar to stop it from separating so badly?

Also i used 1 can of crushed pineapples, 2 TBSP salt, and 4 lbs of grinded peach habaneros for this

cTDQi.jpg

Some put stones on top of a cheese cloth to press everything down so there's little separation. The best suggestion, I think, was to put a bag inside on top and fill it with salt water to fill the gaps but still allow the gas to surface.

Yes Shandley is right on; I use glass marbles sewn into a little gauze pad to keep mine under the solution. When you let the pepper get over the liquid level a white evil tasting scum covers the top side out of the solution.

Bye the way I just use a knife to cut up the peppers instead of grinding them up---I find that way it is a lot easier to separate the flesh from the water which I try to minimize for bottling.

Good looking fermentation though---good luck with it.

Back