• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Potluck Chili

Hey guys,
First post on here but I've been through a few threads before looking for suggestions on growing my peppers. I've tried a pretty large selection of peppers and I've been growing some of my favorites for a few months now (Bird's Eye Thai Peppers, Big Sun Scotch Bonnets, Bhut Jolokia Ghost Peppers) and they're getting close to being ripe. I'm having a potluck with a bunch of my friends and because half of them can't handle the kind of heat that comes from a ghost or scotch bonnet, I decided to make different hot sauces to add to the chili at the potluck instead of just throwing them into the chili while it's cooking.
Believe me, I'd love to make the chili with the peppers in it, but I don't want anyone to get hurt and a few people I know for a fact won't be able to handle food that's too hot from medical reasons. Any idea what kind of hot sauce recipe would be best to mix into chili or would anything really work? I want to make a separate sauce for each kind of pepper so people can mix and match haha And I have a good number of each pepper for people to try.
Thanks for the help!
-Wilson

Haha Thanks for the welcome, I'm going with vegetarian and meaty chili since I have some vegetarians coming too. The idea was to come up with a hot sauce people could mix into their chili bowl to get it to the spice they'd like! Since a few friends wanted to try the ghost pepper because of its reputation and some just want to have the scotch bonnets, I was wondering if there was a kind of sauce that'd go especially well with chili!

i like what you are doing. i would jump up to pepperfool.com and browse their vast selection of recipes. something with a simple with a puree of the various peppers, with onion, garlic, sweetener and perhaps a fruit like mango. you could make it like a hummus texture that your guests just stir into their chili - after all, it is really just for the heat/pepper flavour value. perhaps adding chickpea to the puree would be a nice addition to the already added beans............ i am assuming you are adding BEANS to your chili? that should add some controversy to this thread(since you are new, the bean versus no bean always gets a spark on this forum).

sounds like it is going to be a great get-together. good luck

yea,.... beans -v- no beans.....NOT GOING TO GO THERE!!!!! As in that is not what wrodd is asking about.

Burning Colon has a really great idea! If you are allreading doing 2 chilis (one with meat and one without...) You could have the two pots of mild/hot chili and the condiments could light it on fire from there!

I'm all about having a mild to medium food base as most people only eat mild-medium heat. Having ground chiles, purees, sauces, other heat additives for the extreme chileheads,....let the people add the heat to the basic food to the level they are comfortable with! That's a good party!

Nice, I looked through pepperfool and found a few interesting sauces haha I'll give them a shot! Next I'll be headed over to the pepper I.D. section to make sure my scotch bonnets are the kind I think they are haha

Also, yes, beans hahahaha And chickpeas in the chili

If your concerned about a sauce changing the Chili the just make a Puree of your favorite peppers. Take a look for Alabama Jack Puree thread here under Hot Sauces for a how to. He has a great one.

I looked around for a little while on here before I posted this, I was wondering if there was anything anyone had tried out before for something like this. I think a puree would work well, probably using some vinegar or something to help spread the taste more. We'll see though haha I'm ready to make the chili and try out the new batch of peppers in it but I still have to wait 2 weeks for the dinner haha

I find that dried chile's dont lose much of their heat when cooking with them - Ive used fresh in hopes of molten lava for heat only to be disappointed just my own psa

Pretty sure someone already stated it and I agree, two batches. One using the hot peppers, sweating them down with onions and proteins in the beginning brings and adds amazing flavor and heat. Use sauces or purees and condiments for others to decide if they want to add. They should be used for a tame pepper free batch you make. I make a lot of chili and when I have non pepperheads, I always do a second batch. Why compromise an amazing dish just to suite a few who dare not try.

Pretty sure someone already stated it and I agree, two batches. One using the hot peppers, sweating them down with onions and proteins in the beginning brings and adds amazing flavor and heat. Use sauces or purees and condiments for others to decide if they want to add. They should be used for a tame pepper free batch you make. I make a lot of chili and when I have non pepperheads, I always do a second batch. Why compromise an amazing dish just to suite a few who dare not try.

So true, so true.

Back