• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How much chipotle powder in typical batch of hot sauce

Hi Guys,

In a typical batch of hot sauce - say a large sauce pot about 1/4 to half full (I know this is pure guesstimation and not exact amount) how much chipotle powder would you add in order to have the smokey flavor come through?

Thanks.

That really is an interesting question. Most people I know don't use chipotle powder at all - they smoke fresh pods, then use them in the sauce. Doesn't mean powder can't be used, just that it doesn't have to be. It would help if you could define what you mean by "large sauce pot" - 3 quart? 5 quart? A gallon or more?

Just a thought, try using smoked paprika instead. You'll retain the red color, it won't add hardly anything to the heat, and you'll get a good smokey flavor from it. I've tried using liquid smoke before with awful results. Liquid smoke tends to overpower whatever you put it in even in super small amounts.

Just a thought, try using smoked paprika instead. You'll retain the red color, it won't add hardly anything to the heat, and you'll get a good smokey flavor from it. I've tried using liquid smoke before with awful results. Liquid smoke tends to overpower whatever you put it in even in super small amounts.

I have used paprika. Thanks. I have to get a better quality one than the usual grocery store fare. There is a killer spice store here in NYC where I work I'll have to look over there.

It's not like liquid smoke, I mean, there are chipotle-based pepper sauces that are not super smoky. I wouldn't be worried about over doing it.

That really is an interesting question. Most people I know don't use chipotle powder at all - they smoke fresh pods, then use them in the sauce.

That's my thought as well - though using chipotle powder could work, I think it's likely to be less subtle than using freshly smoked pods. It's probably also harder to control the intensity of the smokiness, which to me is a major issue. I also prefer to choose which type of wood my peppers are smoked over - hardworrds are more intense, fruitwood more subtle.

I make lightly smoked sauces at home still, and love smoking peppers just to the point that when you taste the sauce it adds just a note, and makes you wonder "hey, what's that flavor I detect?" rather than totally overpowering the sauce with the chipotle flavor, as then it's harder to taste anything else in the sauce (e.g. heavy chipotle flavor easily overpowers garlic, onion, etc).

So to answer the OP's question, it's really a matter of personal preference and taste. I'd sugges making "micro-batches" of 2-3 jars. Start with a Tbsp and add a little more powder to each. See what they taste like. I have no idea how much of a smoked pepper flavor the OP is looking to achieve, thus I can't suggest an amount of dried smoked pepper to use.

good luck!

It'd be great to be able to smoke my own peppers but no can do right now. I'm stuck with off the shelf ingredients. I can buy whole smoked dried ones or the powder. I tried the powder maybe next time I'll get the whole dried pods. Yeah I have to try the different test batch amounts method. There's a lot of trial and error. Thanks.

I smoke a LOT of peppers. If you have a particular flavor profile you are looking to achieve you should hit me up. I usually have about 30 types I grow. I just finished smoking 7 pounds of pods for 2 mixed end of season powders. One is all the super hots and the other is just about everything under.

Liquid smoke is nasty!

And on the subject... I never use powders in sauces. I feel like they can give a grainy texture. I understand it's the same product (chipotle pods/powder both being a smoke-dried pepper) but if you chop your own chipotles, then you have "bits" in your sauce, not grains. Both soften and dissolve for the most part, but the powder can cause a thick soupiness you don't want, and the bits will soften and add to the texture. Ever had a sauce where you get little bits of flavor? Yeah, good. Then, some sauces are just thick and a bit grainy. Yeah, bad. Just my 2 cents.

Yea, ...Liquid smoke :high: is pretty nasty especially if you don't clean the pot.......I'm mean the bowl...........ah, ah, the cooking utensil...... :stop:

Ok, I have to admit I've used liquid smoke in the past........all because of dat guy "Justin Wilson".........wherd he go!

Back