• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

None of my chilies are hot !!

What have I done wrong. It's been one god aweful year in the chilli growing dept in London. Normally I grow my chillies outdoors , but the weather has been so aweful I brought them indoors.

The result of this, chillies that just arent hot !

What have I done wrong ???

You haven't necessarily done anything wrong. I've found that very early- and very late-season pods are frequently not as hot as the mid-season pods, and even have little or no heat. Also, keep in mind that individual pods on the same plant with have a variety of heat levels. Of course, it could also be that the plant is a variety other than what you think it is, or a not-so-hot cross. Could be any number of things that you were not the cause of.

There's nothing to produce pictures of.
I grow Naga's, Thai finger chili's, and halepenos they look perfectly normal , but just not hot. I've given up for this year. Will restart with some left over seeds in Feb/march 2013

Exactly. I might as well have been growing grapes.
and I don't think it's just me. On Sunday I tried making a goat curry but I bought some
scotch bonnet's from the local store.( I live in London and there's no shortage of fruit and veg stalls selling produce from all over the world ). The recipe said add 2. I added 7.
Nothing!!! it came out tasting like caserole! I've had hotter ice cream.

Were they watered with tap water (chlorinated/fluorinated)... because watering with treated water not only drastically stunts the plant, but also makes the peppers that do grow taste bad and/or lack any heat... the seasonal variation of the peppers could be a big factor too

I have been watering my plants with tap water for years and they taste great, are very large, and hotter than you know what.

Were they watered with tap water (chlorinated/fluorinated)... because watering with treated water not only drastically stunts the plant, but also makes the peppers that do grow taste bad and/or lack any heat... the seasonal variation of the peppers could be a big factor too

Errrrr yes!
Never heard of that one before

How do you DE-chlorinated/DE-fluorinated water ? or do mean just use rain water ( there's certainly been no shortage of that this year )

If you let treated-water sit in the open air/light for a few days (preferably with a large surface area of the water exposed) a vast majority of the chlorine molecules will evaporate. Of course if you have access to well water, spring water, or plentiful amounts of rain water... those are always optimal. Google rain catchers/ storage bins... they are great!

Early peppers are often extremely mild. I have learned not to judge the peppers too early. I have decided that some peppers were mild only to find out later that they were hot.

I think the impact of cholorine on pepper plants is way over stated. Some people use chlorine containing additives to keep their hydro setups sterile. Not saying there isn't any impact but if you have reached the point that chlorine is having the biggest impact on your growing you should be giving advice not taking it. I have plants that are over 5 and 6 feet tall that just get chlorinated water.

If you let treated-water sit in the open air/light for a few days (preferably with a large surface area of the water exposed) a vast majority of the chlorine molecules will evaporate. Of course if you have access to well water, spring water, or plentiful amounts of rain water... those are always optimal. Google rain catchers/ storage bins... they are great!

Yep, utter nonsense in my opinion. The amount of chlorine in tap water supplies are no where near the levels needed to stunt growth or impact taste.

Last year our peppers were watered with rain water from rain barrels, and we had a 2-3 week period where peppers had no heat. Overwatering was necessary due to high temps for an extended period of time.

This year we were watering from the tap because it didn't rain for months. Peppers were hotter than ever and tasted very strong, but we never needed to overwater like the previous year.

Overwatering is probably the culprit here.

i went back to the UK in July for the first time in 2 years (i am originally English).
It rained every day for 2 weeks without fail, i understand the pain this year mate! It's been one of the worst years for weather in a long time.

Before April they were expecting to bring in a hosepipe ban cause there was no water in the reservoirs, and then it rained from April til september! sounds like not enough sunlight, or your plants got as depressed as everyone else in England did that there was no summer of 2012.

Better luck next year mate!

i wouldn't go for using rainwater in London either, the stuff out the tap will be better for your plants!

Late pods are usually milder but if you're growing Nagas and get ZERO heat you'd better check your seeds source...

Cya

Datil

i went back to the UK in July for the first time in 2 years (i am originally English).
It rained every day for 2 weeks without fail, i understand the pain this year mate! It's been one of the worst years for weather in a long time.

Naaaa, it's been bad for years!

As a kid, living in Cornwall, i remember the summers of really long, hot spells during the summer months.
In the 2000's it seemed to totally change, and the summers gradually got worse and worse...to the degree that the year we emigrated (2007) we had 2 "good" weeks in April (which thankfully allowed me to do all of the outdoor work needed to try and sell our house) and on May 8th it started getting grey and rained (we remember it as it's our daughters birthday) and basically it rained pretty much every day until we finally got the hell out of the country on October 14th. And since we emigrated, when i speak to my mum over there, every year it's the same.. "yeah, we've not had much of a summer".. :(

We had a crazily massive back garden when we lived in Cornwall, but all that grew there was grass....as it was just too damned wet to get anything going.

I have been watering my plants with tap water for years and they taste great, are very large, and hotter than you know what.
+1 me too, great point. While I love rain for them, it's not available year round and my peppers have high heat levels IMHO.

Now look what you've done Sidewinder. You've sparked an international debate about whether we Brits have summers any more!

Interesting post though. You've either had all of your tastebuds removed or your plants are deficient in something important (probably light in this case as you've had to bring them in) Simples!

Good luck for next year, what about a small polytunnel?

Back