• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Yabbies.... like a crawfish??

What to do with these little guys? Freshwater yabbie, some sort of spicy boil??
073.JPG

Some nice Yabbies there Booma, I like to boil them up and the get there tails into a hot fry pan with garlic and shallots with a little oil and some butter and when you've given them a little loving season with some salt, those have nice big fat claws aswell which up here we only get redclaw

I use(boiling em) Old Bay with some fresh garlic, onion, basil, and pepper powder here in the States. I dip em in a garlic butter with hot sauce mix

Well i can now say that Yabbies are bloody tasty!!!!!

Marinated them in a hot sauce brine last night, bought a pot to boil of the mixture this afternoon, half a stick of butter went in, added a heap of fresh garlic, paprika, salt and pepper, then threw in the Yabbies. Couple of minutes on high heat and they were ready.

Very very messy, but worth it. Loved em, will be gettting them again.

Attachments

• SDC11749.JPG
    SDC11749.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 62
  • SDC11750.JPG
    SDC11750.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 63
  • SDC11751.JPG
    SDC11751.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 64
  • SDC11752.JPG
    SDC11752.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 69
  • SDC11754.JPG
    SDC11754.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 70
  • SDC11755.JPG
    SDC11755.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SDC11756.JPG
    SDC11756.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 68
you've got my mouth a watering, haven't been yabbying for ages,
think it might be time to do a bit this summer,
there's heaps down this way in the dams over summer

very nice and sounds great! AFAIK we have none down here in s. FL, but we have spiny lobsters. Although when I was living in JA, I'd catch crayfish in fresh water rivers.

Well i can now say that Yabbies are bloody tasty!!!!!

Marinated them in a hot sauce brine last night, bought a pot to boil of the mixture this afternoon, half a stick of butter went in, added a heap of fresh garlic, paprika, salt and pepper, then threw in the Yabbies. Couple of minutes on high heat and they were ready.

Very very messy, but worth it. Loved em, will be gettting them again.
DDaaammmmnn that looks good. I know this thread is a few months old but hell I cant wait till Blue Claws start running here in jersey.

Last year was probably the best Blue claw season in many years and My boat didnt see a drop of water, was too busy growin peppers!

This year I'm in!

Wow those look great. We catch cray fish all the time back home in the Caribbean but I saw that one of the lakes here in Nebraska is full of them. Time to invest in a trap and get a ton of them to boil up one day. YUM!!

Do you suck the heads in Australia?

Those are close enough to pass for late season crawfish. If you need any cajun boil for the next batch let me know.

Yeah i ate all the Claws and Tails, but curiosity got the better of me, and tried a head. Little different

Where was this thread hiding? Wow Booma, nice looking mud-bugs.
We like to boil them in beer w some pickling spices.
add some hot powder if you choose. There's nothing you can't do with them, they ar like shrimp that way.

I am thinking you should make a crawdad, andouille sausage pizza... :woohoo:

If you can find some traps like this, and you have a place to set them so you can check them every couple hours, sweet.
If not, over night works really well. I think they are nocturnal, but don't quote me on that.
and punctured can of cat food for bait or chicken legs is great bait.
You can easily make traps too... "Google it". lol
Do it bro!

View attachment 3452

View attachment 3453

Yeah was hiding a bit.

Possible to move it to Cooking with fire???
Then everyone can add there dishes.

I'm planning on getting some more this/next week and have another crack at em. Local store.

Can easily get my hands on the traps, just have too look into where they can be caught locally

An uncle spent time in Oz as a commercial diver/welder. On his off time he snorkeled/free-dove for the crawfish where they'd be under rocks or coral or something. The guys carried a little doohickey to measure them with, to make sure they were legal size. I thought for sure he was catching them in salt water though? And, yes, they did call them "crayfish" (I think). Surely not lobster.

He claimed those crawfish were the best he ever ate. We would mail him the little sacks of dried "Louisiana Crab Boil" by Zatarain's. The liquid boil would have been more expensive to ship. Now, they sell the powdered mix that is the quintessential Louisiana crab boil. Easy-peezy-fo-sheezy!

My uncle (a thoroughbred Cajun) claimed that yellow head-fat was every bit as delicious as the fat in our Louisiana crawfish. That is what we suck the heads for!

The weird food guy, Andrew Zimmern showed an Australian fisherman about the head fat of lobsters on a show where they cooked them on the beach. The Aussie was very reluctant to try it. But, afterwards he swore he'd never let any more of that good stuff go in the trash ever again.

Back