• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Take a Guess What's Wrong With This Leaf

This is a Marbles leaf. Notice the discoloration that run parallel to the vein structure...this leaf is much lighter in color than the other leaves on the plant and has been a constant "detractor" since they have had leaves. I keep on pruning them off. Good thing is it is not spreading to my Orange Hab, Red Savinas or Little Elf's.

Top of Leaf

Bottom of Leaf

Nutrient deficiency or mechanical damage to the stem structure of the leaf?

Maybe the plumbing got plugged up and can not provide the necessary nutrients required for growth.

So, you keep getting leaves like that? Are they older leaves or newer leaves?

It looks a bit like a magnesium deficiency, but didn't you say you were fertilizing every time you water? Could you be seeing some toxicity?

Pam said:
So, you keep getting leaves like that? Are they older leaves or newer leaves?

It looks a bit like a magnesium deficiency, but didn't you say you were fertilizing every time you water? Could you be seeing some toxicity?

Yes, only the older leaves (bigger leaves anyway) get this way...I usually have at least one leaf look like this twice a week...there are 4 plants.

I am using a weak solution bloom fertilizer each time I water following the directions on the bottle (liquid fert). Don't know the amounts of trace elements...will have to check.

You need a more general purpose fertilizer with micro nutrients. Forget about all the bloom nutrients/supplements, they aren't really made for peppers IMO.

POTAWIE said:
You need a more general purpose fertilizer with micro nutrients. Forget about all the bloom nutrients/supplements, they aren't really made for peppers IMO.

I just looked at the ingredients of the Botanicare liquid fertilize I am using and it has 1/2% Magnesium and 1% Calcium plus I mixed in some Dry Formula Tomato/Pepper Plant food from Seedman when I transplanted...don't know the ingredients of the plant food but I wll find out...

Hi ABJ

I have a manzano yellow (was suposed to be red but wont be buying seeds from there again)

anyway...... some of the leaves have started to turn yellowish from the center out and fall off.

Im not to worried about it..... its a big plant (over 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide now) and has 50 or more large healthy rocoto chillis maturing well. I have had fruit fly problems and still fighting them off. I lost 20 or more large fruit to them in the start. I have traps but they dont get them all. Im out there regularly spraying it with pyrethrum spray and have used something stronger to kill the grubs in the fruit if its been stung. All the fruit is growing well now with no bite marks and rotting spots so its worked but i will be letting it sit for a while before i pick it after spraying.

Im wondering if the spray turned the leaves yellow of if they just do that.

Im not to worried about it..... as long as the peppers are healthy..... who cares about the leaves!

cheers

The little Marble plants look pretty healthy to me...dark green leaves and some flowers...

Here is whats contained in the Dry Formula plant food I am using....

"Jim’s Enhanced Dry Formula Tomato/Pepper Plant Food with Bonemeal/Bloodmeal/Cottonseed Meal/Humates/Baking Soda and Calcium
We’ve hand-blended the best time released plant food available with our own humates, then added Bonemeal, Bloodmeal, Cottonseed Meal, Humates, Baking Soda and Calcium.

The result is an advanced fertilizer that you feed to the plant once when you transplant seedling, then forget about it the rest of the season!
Not only does it release the required amount of plant food as plants mature and begin to produce, it also stimulates root growth, improves soil aeration, increases plants ability to resist diseases, prevents bottom rot, and aids the plant in absorption of nutrients and minerals."

Sounds like superplant food to me, that is why I bought it....was expensive too 2 1/2 Pounds for $14 USD.

Oh well, Tony, as you say, As long as the plants are healthy (and this condition is not spreading to my other plants, Tis OK.

If its the larger lower ones (leaves) and its in a pot I wouldn't stress to much, maybe lay of the fert for awhile and see ho wit goes.

To me it looks and sounds as if you've been using too much fertilizer, that literally "burns" the plant(s). It'd also explain why it (the disease) hasn't spread. As far as I know the rule of thumb for peppers is to use about 1/2 of the amount of fertilizer recommended on the pack. Try watering them a lot for an hour or so, to wash the fertilizer from the soil and don't use any for a week or two and see if they get any better.

Good luck, man!

This could be some type of Chlorosis, maybe Trace Element Deficiency...looks like Potawie may be on the right tract...

I started a blog on "Leaf Discoloration - Pictures and Causes" for my (our) reference. Have three pictures there now...magnesium deficiency, nitrogen deficiency, and Chlorosis caused by Trace Element Deficiency.

I think you're over-fertilizing, too. One of the problems with too much is that one nutrient can interfere with the uptake and use of another. Like, I think excess phosphorus can interfere with zinc, if I remember correctly.

The stuff you're adding to the soil as you transplant is supposed to be enough for the entire season. You really shouldn't be adding more fertilizer to that. We're all eager for our plants to grow quickly, but sometimes patience is a virtue.

Ya its likely overfertilizing but due to using wrong balance of nutrients. What are the ratio numbers on your fertilizer ??/??/??

pots is easy to OD trust me I'm the master lol.
a few drinks of fresh water and Aj plants will be charging again, and he caught it early.

Right, less is more etc.

Also "bloom" fertilizers are designed to lessen foliage growth and stimulate flower production.

A no-no for seedlings.

Pam said:
I think you're over-fertilizing, too. One of the problems with too much is that one nutrient can interfere with the uptake and use of another. Like, I think excess phosphorus can interfere with zinc, if I remember correctly.

The stuff you're adding to the soil as you transplant is supposed to be enough for the entire season. You really shouldn't be adding more fertilizer to that. We're all eager for our plants to grow quickly, but sometimes patience is a virtue.

Understand and I may be trying to rush things because of the Naga Contest. I can slack off on the fertilize use.

POTAWIE said:
Ya its likely overfertilizing but due to using wrong balance of nutrients. What are the ratio numbers on your fertilizer ??/??/??

Agree, fertilize assays out to.....1.5-4.0-5.0 with 1% calcium and 0.5% Magnesium used at a 30 ml per 4 liters rate. The label says for best results, use every watering (I water about twice a week)

LUCKYDOG said:
Are the leaves brittle or harder along the veins

Leaves are not brittle and seem consistently pliable...

stillmanz said:
pots is easy to OD trust me I'm the master lol.
a few drinks of fresh water and Aj plants will be charging again, and he caught it early.

I am going to lay off the fertilize for two or three waterings to see what the result is...

cheezydemon said:
Right, less is more etc.

Also "bloom" fertilizers are designed to lessen foliage growth and stimulate flower production.

A no-no for seedlings.

I don't consider these seedlings since they are already in the flowering/pod production state....even though they are in 6" pots.

Great input all...thanks...

Back