• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe kimchi recipe

Looking for a kimchi recipe that uses hot peppers...
I love it and here in SW MO you can not find any.. So I want to make my own...

I did a tutorial with pictures here in post #47 http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman-slow-cooker-chickpea-curry/page__st__40#entry722534

My kimchee recipe is very similar to the great recipe that Stickman linked you to. Be sure to get the "Korean" pepper flakes he mentions. I use A LOT of it. That is where the "traditional" kimchee flavor comes from. It is more like an Oriental paprika than a hot pepper. I add dried Thai peppers for heat. Of course, you may add whatever peppers you prefer. Whatever peppers you add will ferment in the kimchee.

I like my Kimchee with 2 HEADS (not cloves) of garlic and 2 whole onions. Stickman's use of mustard greens sounds delicious! I add about 6-8 of those baby bok choy things, soy sauce, 2 bunches of green onions, leeks, julienned carrots and very little ginger.

I use my little coffee grinder to pulverize rice into rice flour. A blender would work also. I can't use the rice flour fast enough so I make my own. I realized this method would work while I was using rice to clean the coffee grinder.

The oysters and shrimp are fabulous. You might want to try squid that you keep salted in the fridge for a week prior to making your kimchee. If I don't have the seafood, I add about a cup of Fish Sauce.

I've had about 90 percent of my stomach removed and eat kimchee just about every night. Since I started fermenting, I've not gotten a cold, flu or anything else. Like Stickman, I believe it's the probiotics and nutrients in my kimchee and my kefir that have kept me from getting any illness since I started!

Back