• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

08 Febuary 2008 Fridays Project

I am going to convert these storage shelves in the garage to a "seedling grow area".

The shelving is 16" wide and 8' long. 3 Shelves will give me room for 144 seedlings in 6" pots figuring 3 wide and 16 long...if I only get 15 across, that will be 135. As you can see this will kill two birds with one stone. It will make me clean up this mess and throw away a lot of junk (I'm a packrat) and not use up any space in the garage that is not already used.

I will enclose one end and top with 1/4" plywood. The inside of the one end, back, and top will be covered with Mylar. Thee other end will be open to the hot water heater for efficient use of thermal loss. Electric so I don't have to worry about fumes, CO, etc.

Haven't decided how to close the front yet, but was thinking of just using 60 mil visquene as a starter since I have a roll of it in my storage building.

4 dual light fluorescent shoplight fixtures will be used per shelf.

Will use a combination of 6500K and 4100K bulbs for light. I figure since this grow area is in the garage, enclosed, and having 960 watts of lights running, I should not need any heat. I will also close in the hot water heater

Pictures showing the days progress will be posted through the day.

Design in progress. I have 2 hours before I go to Home Depot.

It might get a little hot on the top shelf if everything is totally enclosed and what about air exchange?

POTAWIE said:
It might get a little hot on the top shelf if everything is totally enclosed and what about air exchange?

I have thought about that and will not build it so "air tight" as I have the grow boxes. I will leave 6" open at the bottom below the bottom shelf and a few "cracks along the sides and top to allow a "chinmey" effect for the design. 2 mil mylar to coat all inside/outside surfaces for more efficient use of light. Research says 20% improvement.

This:

12 dual tube shop fluorescent shop light fixtures
12 40 watt 6500K bulbs
12 40 watt 4100K bulbs
1 sheet 1/4" ply
6 2' X 4' pieced of 11/32" plywood for doors
20' 14 gauge wire (for light connections - two per length)
20' 12 gauge wire (will connect 3 of the above together here
3 Heavy dudy Male Plugs on the three wires above
1 Extra Heavy duty power strip/surge protector
3 thermometers (1 per shelf)

Has got to go here:

Looks like a total weekend project to me...I have to finish by tommorrow because I need to transplant probably 90 seedlings to 9 oz cups on Sunday.

Back in a while...time to go clean the old shelves off...

Well, its time to quit and go play a gig...the re-enactment of the last famous gunfight in Fort Worth....Luke Short kills Long Hair Jim Courtright in front of the White Elephant Saloon...gunfight at 7, we play at 6....

Anyway...here is the progress I have made so far.....

may continue tonight but it probably will be tomorrow before I get back to it....

my gosh its like watching a honey bee gathering pollen. Can you send me some of the coffee you drinking AJ. lol I cant wait to see the plants when harvest time comes around. You be jumping around like a hound after a rabbit Looking goood!!!!!

I may be a little energetic...but then again, if I don't get it done, the garden won't get done...and I am NOT going to let that happen..

Been drinking DefCon1 Bloody Marys....damn they are good...about 4 good drops in a 16 oz mary....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks Okie Joe

I will be beside myself come harvest time...

Hey if it gets to much for ya when harvest comes around give me a shout and I help ya pick. I dont drink anymore but I love Ice tea and some good BS stories lol and I have a few of them being retired military. If ya know what I mean and those Marys sound gooooooooooooood I just might have to make me a generic one with out the V.

I drink a lot of virgin marys too Okie....sometimes I just don't want the alcohol...

Time for bed for me....tomorrows gonna be a long day....

Awesome job AJ You always come up with some great projects to do and you pass on those great ideas to everyone.

PcolaHot said:
Awesome job AJ You always come up with some great projects to do and you pass on those great ideas to everyone.

I hope that is how everyone takes my "project" posts...as sharing what I am doing/have done...

Thanks Pcola..

Top, bottom, sides, and back fitted with Mylar and first set of lights hung on top shelf...

All four shop lights installed on top shelf. I will transition 2 lights to one set of #14 romex wiring and route across top of shelf to end then out. 2 fixtures left end and 2 fixtures right end. Each set of fixtures will have its own cord running to power, therefore I can control 6 zones of the grow area.

back in a while....gotta go to HD and get larger wire nuts...

Finished Product Up and Running - Plants Happy...

Back from HD......again....

Top Shelf with plants on it...

Fully Operational Unit...

Used an old white bamboo curtain for front...

OK I am done for the night...time for Tacos and some Shiners...I think this is going to work.

OK AJ, are you done with that yet? I need you to get over here and redo my bathroom and back bedroom!!!!! You have alot of energy man. The setup looks great. I can't wait to see the next one.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
OK AJ, are you done with that yet? I need you to get over here and redo my bathroom and back bedroom!!!!! You have alot of energy man. The setup looks great. I can't wait to see the next one.
Dale

I don't think you could afford my rates Dale...:lol:

It took me two hours to clean up the mess from yesterday.

I transplanted plants today....got 75 out of germination tray into 9 oz cups...just plain ran out of steam after the wife fed me a full rack of baby back ribs and a baked potato. Will finish transplanting Monday and Tuesday....hopefully....I need to transplant about 150 more.

Thanks Dale...

Transplanting underway

This is the first round of transplants.

I decided to use a combination of fertilize, superthrive, and hydrogen peroxide at the recommended amounts and made 2 gallons of this mixture for "watering in" my transplants.

Transplant Setup....

Will post pics after transplant project complete.

thepodpiper said:
OK AJ, are you done with that yet? I need you to get over here and redo my bathroom and back bedroom!!!!!

I got dibs on him first to help with my kitchen floor!

You have alot of energy man. The setup looks great. I can't wait to see the next one.

I get tired just reading his posts.

billyboy said:
Looking good AJ, what a project (obsession) youve gotten into, and I admire your attention to detail. ;)

Thanks BB...I just want to be as good as you guys when it comes to growing Capsicum.

Pam said:
I got dibs on him first to help with my kitchen floor!

I get tired just reading his posts.

Kitchen floor?...no problem...I can help by supervising and telling you how it should be done.......roflmao....

I am wore out from this weekend...probably put in close to 30 hours Fri/Sat/Sun....

AlabamaJack said:
Back from HD......again....

Top Shelf with plants on it...

Fully Operational Unit...

Used an old white bamboo curtain for front...

OK I am done for the night...time for Tacos and some Shiners...I think this is going to work.
Damn... you did a REALLY good job. :clap:

Back