New to Smoking

Alright guys and gals. Just placed an order for a smoker. Custom Built, few months away, as the guy who builds them, only works on one or two at a time.

Little early for the post, but would like to get some tips, i.e timbers, charcoals, recipe ideas etc. I have smoked ribs in the WFO before but you dont have as much control over the heat/smoke.

This smoker is going to be an Offset smoker, and has 3 ways off dampening the smoke flow.

I prefer fruit woods since others are toxic to a degree. I mainly use apple, cherry and sometimes peach and also I will put alder in for an hour of a smoke cycle. As for recipes, Google is your best friend The 3-2-1 rib method is pretty flawless and always try to stay 225 and below but steady. I spent the last few years perfecting my dry rubs. Experiment and find what world best for you. So far this year I have smoked a turkey, several chickens, 6 or 8 pork butts, 12 or more racks of ribs and 30+ pounds of peppers. Good luck and post picks of the rig when you get it!

I know it's usually frowned upon to link to a different forum in forums, so I won't. But I will tell you to google, smoking meats forum. There is a ton of great info there, and it may seem cheesey for the owner to sell a rub and sauce recipe, but it is an awesome recipe that makes for a great base that you can tweak. As Joyners said, it can take years to perfect a rub recipe, you can save yourself a lot of time/money by starting off with a good one. Personally I rarely use rubs anymore.

Here Booma, This is a very awesome site, It has EVERYTHING Smoker,
Calibrating, Seasoning (like seasoning your Cast Iron Pans), techniques, recipes, etc. etc. etc.
Check it out! very helpful and interesting.

http://www.amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html

I have smoked a few things, 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving, Pork, chicken, no pepper yet. I put few pics on here Smoke This!

[sub]I agree with joyners point that experimentation is a great way to learn to a certain extent but IMHO you should first arm yourself with some good net info first.[/sub]

[sub]While I have been smoking for years, it’s mainly been fish and turkey for me with the occasional meats but not as often, my favorite is definitely fish. While I’ve never smoked peppers as I prefer mine fresh. Although I have decided to give it a go sometime soon as the thick skinned peppers are harder to sun dry perfect without much attention and I’d like to test out smoky flavors in the occasional powder rubs I throw together.[/sub]
[sub]At first I always used a good thermometer but now days I have a good feel for the level of heat and wood needed by eye. I quickly learned to prefer low heat and longer cook times, but Google up a list that should give you temps/times by meat type and weight which should help you out a lot. This way there’s fewer margins for errors. I would also recommend starting out with chunks of wood VS chips, chips are BS IMHO. Give the wood a good soaking (I’ll let mine sit in water for more than an hour) so it smokes and lasts longer. *Important* it’s better to use less wood rather than more, it goes a long way and too much of a smoky taste on some meats can get some people sick as it can come out too rich. Always make sure the water reservoir is 3/4[sup]th[/sup] full and try out different woods till you find the ones that work best for you.[/sub]

[sub]You didn’t hear this from me but the best wood for fish is mangrove and it’s your choice on poultry and meat. Keep in mind that mangroves are federally protected, so only take what’s dead or broken off. I live in the mangrove capital of the south *rolleyes* so I have it around a lot. While I tend to use many different woods for the later, I somehow always come back to Oak when other wood supply is hard to come by as I have an unlimited supply. While many might tell you that oak is strong, the one I use is very fresh rare breed. I tend to use if for larger cuts of meat that require long cook times because it’s a real hard wood. It produces a strong smoke flavor but usually not overpowering, IMO it’s a good wood for Brisket.[/sub]

[sub]One last point is to test all the acceptable local woods you know or can find in your area for obvious reasons beyond cost. [/sub][sub]I found a similar list to the one below long ago but just found this one, hope it helps …[/sub]
[sub]
[/sub]
[sub]Alder has a light flavor for fish and poultry. Indigenous to the northwestern United States, it is the traditional wood for smoking Salmon.[/sub]
[sub]Acacia is similar to mesquite but not as strong. This wood burns very hot and should be used in small amounts or for limited amounts of time.[/sub]
[sub]Almond gives a nutty, sweet flavor that is good with all meats. Almond is similar to Pecan.[/sub]
[sub]Apple is very mild in flavor and gives food a sweetness. This is good with poultry and pork. Apple will discolor chicken skin (turns in dark brown).[/sub]
[sub]Apricot is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.[/sub]
[sub]Ash has a light, unique flavor. This wood burns fast.[/sub]
[sub]Black Walnut has a heavy flavor that should probably be mixed with other wood because of the bitter taste it can impart.[/sub]
[sub]Birch has a similar flavor to maple. This wood is good with pork and poultry.[/sub]
[sub]Cherry has a sweet, mild flavor that goes great with virtually everything. This is one of the most popular woods for smoking.[/sub]
[sub]Chokecherry has a bitter flavor and should only be used in small amounts for short period of times.[/sub]
[sub]Citrus woods like lemon or orange have a moderate smoke that gives a light fruity flavor that is more mild than apple or cherry.[/sub]
[sub]Cottonwood is very mild in flavor and should be used with stronger flavored woods. Avoid green wood.[/sub]
[sub]Crabapple is very similar to apple wood and can be used interchangeably.[/sub]
[sub]Fruit, like apple, apricot or cherry, fruit wood gives off a sweet, mild flavor that is good with poultry or ham.[/sub]
[sub]Grapefruit is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.[/sub]
[sub]Grapevines make a lot of tart smoke and gives a fruity but sometimes heavy flavor. Use it sparingly with poultry or lamb.[/sub]
[sub]Hickory adds a strong flavor to meats, so be careful not to use to excessively. It’s good with beef and lamb.[/sub]
[sub]Lemon is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.[/sub]
[sub]Lilac produces a good supply of mild, sweet smoke. A popular wood for smoked cheese, but also good for poultry and pork.[/sub]
[sub]Maple like fruit wood gives a sweet flavor that is excellent with poultry and ham.[/sub]
[sub]Mesquite has been very popular of late and is good for grilling, but since it burns hot and fast, it's not recommended for long barbecues. Mesquite is probably the strongest flavored wood; hence its popularity with restaurant grills that cook meat for a very short time.[/sub]
[sub]Mulberry is sweet and very similar to apple.[/sub]
[sub]Nectarine is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.[/sub]
[sub]Oak is strong but not overpowering and is a very good wood for beef or lamb. Oak is probably the most versatile of the hard woods.[/sub]
[sub]Orange is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.[/sub]
[sub]Peach is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.[/sub]
[sub]Pear is similar to apple and produces a sweet, mild flavor.[/sub]
[sub]Pecan burns cool and provides a delicate flavor. It’s a much subtler version of hickory.[/sub]
[sub]Plum is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.[/sub]
[sub]Walnut has a heavy, smoky flavor and should be mixed with milder flavored woods.[/sub]
[sub]Other good woods include: avocado, bay, beech, butternut, carrotwood, chestnut, fig, guava, gum, hackberry, kiawe, madrone, manzita, olive, range, persimmon, pimento, and willow[/sub]
[sub]You can also find other wood products around made from wine and whiskey barrels that impart a very unique flavor. I have a fondness for Jack Daniel whiskey barrel wood.[/sub]
[sub]Woods to AVOID would include: cedar, cypress, elm, eucalyptus, pine, fir, redwood, sassafras, spruce, and sycamore.
[/sub]

[sub]Edit: apologies for the editing, did it on some pc at work that sucks :D[/sub]
[sub]Edit 2: rereading, I really soak my wood for hours and keep extra in a wet bucket in case needed.[/sub]

Did a batch of applewood smoked superhots for Taco Abajo's death sauce last week. Jay bought an electric smoker. it was my first time using this machine but i'm sold! it was like 120 buck at wally world. 12 hours at 170 degrees , i was shooting for a sun dried tomato consistancy and it came out amazing! This electric job makes it almost to easy.

Yes! Booma is entering the smoking game. An offset smoker, or stick burner, is definitely the way to go for the best smoke, but also the most temperamental. I would make sure of a few things since it is custom built.

1. Make sure it is airtight when closed. As in, no smoke seeping out from around the lids, etc. Seal all the seams (if anything is assembled) with a high heat mortar like http://www.dap.com/p...ID=7&SubcatID=2 which is rated for wood-burning stoves (but check it out yourself for safety).
2. Make sure your chimney is on the opposite side of the firebox, and on the inside, make sure it comes down to just above the grates. What this does is ensure smoke is pulled across the food, and not up and out. OR you can put the chimney on the firebox side, and create a path for the smoke to travel from the firebox to the other side (like a tunnel with an exit far end) and then out, this ensure all the food is smoked evenly as well, as it hits it from underneath and across.
3. Build a heat deflector plate on the firebox side, so that side of the cooking chamber is not hotter. This can be done by putting in a plate that deflects the heat down, as well as the smoke. You can combo 2 and 3 as a deflector/tunnel for real even heat. Deflect down and out to the other side. Sloping, then even, until exit.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Championship-Barbecue-Lip-Smackin/dp/1558322426/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354575284&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+kirk%27s+championship+barbecue

best all around book out there, IMO. i have several and always go to this one first. he has several pointers to times, temps and techniques per meat/vegetables.

agree with the above stated that little smoke is needed. i have found that i look for a very light blue exhaust while cooking. thick white or brown smoke is no good and will turn your dish into a bitter unedible mess.

i use different temps for different cuts/meats. 225-brisket, 250-275 pork butt, and 325-350-chicken(think crispy skin).
there are as many techniques as there are cooks so find out what you like and what works best for you.

experiment, experiment

Thanks for all the info guys, cannot wait to get this thing. It is definitely a offset smoker, main barrel is 900mm long by 500mm diameter. 2 exhausts on the left. Firebox on the right mounted at the bottom half of the main chamber. Deflector plate near fire box exit to disperse heat and smoke. It has 3 dampeners

Thanks for all the info guys, cannot wait to get this thing. It is definitely a offset smoker, main barrel is 900mm long by 500mm diameter. 2 exhausts on the left. Firebox on the right mounted at the bottom half of the main chamber. Deflector plate near fire box exit to disperse heat and smoke. It has 3 dampeners. Made from either 3 mm rolled steel or 1/4 inch, pricing it up now. Firebox is 5 or 6 mm I think. Will get some pictures tonight.

The post on different types of wood is very interesting. Me next door neighbour has 5 types of fruit trees on our fence line. Might start gathering off cuts that he trims??

Apple is my favorite smoking wood. I like the sweet mild smoke and the flavor it lends to all meats. I also like the way it smells when sitting by the smoker with a beer. Best for pork.

Oak is good for beef, it burns evenly for a long time, clean, not overpowering smoke profile, good for beef where you don't need the sweet flavor profile. Brisket!

Mix-n-matching is good too.

one thing i might suggest while your pit is still under construction is the addition of tunning plates. these plates span the width of the cooking chamber and are adjustable in order to fine tune your heat from left to right or firebox to exhaust. mine are made from 1/4" x 6" flat plate and set on a rail 3" below the grates. if i had pics i would post but there are several images online.

sry i don't know the metric conversions.

definetly post up some pics of the maiden voyage (seasoning)

I don't think you need tuning plates, as in, adjustable deflectors, but that's just my opinion. There is a proper path for heat and smoke and those plates can be welded. But can you post your experiences with tuning plates please?

i have found that these plates help drastically to improve heat distribution evenly across entire cooking surface, mostly when burning wood only. they do help when using charcoal but it is more noticeable with a wood only fire. i don't know the science of it but there is a major difference in "flow of heat" between all wood and mostly charcoal. of the cookers i have built the larger/longer the cooking chamber the more these plates are needed. the idea is to utilize the entire cooking area with the intended temp. you don't want to have to have one end at 250 in order to get 225 at the exhaust.

the small cooker i built for my father in-law was 20" diameter 36" cooking x 18" firebox. this cooker never really needed them and i actually removed them because of the way he cooks is mostly charcoal with chunks for smoke. now mine at home is 48" cook chamber and needs the plates to keep temps even. with these plates i have maybe 5 degrees difference across the chamber.

i just did the conversion on his dimensions and tuning plates will may or may not be needed as it is very close to the size of the smaller one i built. if you plan to use all wood then yes for sure. if your using primarily charcoal with chips or chunks then you may not.

i would run 3 thermometers in a chamber this size to determine hot spots and balancing left to right. 1 center in door prob 3" above grate, then 1 on each each end(firebox and exhaust) at grate level. then you can use an oven thermo and move it around inside to check temps while you season it. if there is more than 25 degrees difference then i would put in plates.

all cookers are built different and cook different. so you have to learn your cooker and adjust it according

Heaps of good info thanks a lot. I have read about the tuning plates, will have to wait and see if necessary. Also read that a good way to test the heat discrepancies is to load the smoker up with white bread and see how evenly they all toast. Simple and cheap way to see Hot Spots

Here is roughly the type i will be getting, but a little bigger
smoker.jpg

Back