Seeds for Science - Middle School Class Project in Action!

Hey THP...I thought I would throw this out in THP-land for some support.

As some of you know...I am a science teacher. I teach 7th grade science in a rural district in north central Texas. I teach regular science classes as well as advanced science. My advanced science students are participating in a year long project, to compost, harvest seeds, dry, germinate, grow, and at the end of the year, sell the chile plants to the public to raise money for the science department. This is in an effort to teach students about self reliance, business practices, accountability, and agronomy. As most of you know, budget crunches have virtually eliminated funding to most schools, and departments within those schools. This project empowers students to take ownership in the development of a life, a product, their school, and ultimately, their education.

We are currently in collaboration with Texas A&M for some seed stock, as well as harvesting seeds from what we can find, including peppers we can be reasonably sure have "pure" seeds.

I have open pollenated seed stock...which is fine for me personally. However, we are in need of "pure" seeds, for any type of chile imaginable. We need to be able to offer the community a pepper plant that is almost assured to be what we say it is.

I'm reaching out to THP for assistance in our project. We have zero dollars to spend...not even postage. If anyone would like to be a part of our project, and donate "pure" seeds, we would be most appreciative. Any pepper variety is welcome...from heatless...to hell.

Here are a couple of pics of kids harvesting seeds from an awesome find...one of my student's grandmother has a chile pequin plant, with no other pepper species anywhere near the area. He brought a bag from which we harvested seeds. You can see total student engagement, and ownership of their own learning. We are going to dominate this...and show kids THEY can overcome all the political foolishness and make their own way...and do for themselves.

pepper kids.JPG

pepper kids1.JPG

Thanks in advance...and i will start a project thread here on THP soon so you may follow it if you are interested.

View attachment 2917

View attachment 2918

Justaguy, you rule!

This is a brilliant project. Hope the kids appreciate the effort and charity.
More so I hope they don't end up eating super hots out of curiosity!

Jamaican hab here, pm me ...

Edit: I failed to mention this is a great thing you do ... I grow plants with my kids, one loves to grow pineapples and the other, like me ... peppers :)

LB, have you contacted the New mexico Chili Pepper Institute about their seeds and whether they're op or pure? They might even be able to set up an account where people who don't have pure seeds but would like to support your kids could send some funds for you to be able to buy seeds. Might be worth looking into. I for one am not really sure what kind of seed mine are but would be willing to do something like this.

Good Luck and good growing,
RM

I have a bunch of BrainStraing, i did grow them around some butch t's, but they butch t's really never did flower. I got my seeds from judy and she claims to be 100% isolated. So let me know I can throw in 2-3 reaper seeds also if you like. If you do, just send me a pm with your addy , and i will try to get them out next week.

Thanks for an awesome response so fast...not that I'm surprized, since I have been on this site for a few years, and know the caliber of people here!

I'm wrestling a 5 year old, and a 1.5 year old alone today, with bone dislodged in my foot. *The 1.5 year old is mocking my walk by picking one leg WAY up in the air...lol. Anyway...I'll get those PM's out this evening...and THANKS AGAIN!!!

PS: Rocket...I had considered talking to them, but to best fit our state learning standards, "we" "prefer" to align our projects with universities within our state.

*And that's my "official answer". ;)

LunchBox,

I've got all kinds of stuff here. From sweet peppers, to hots, to tomatoes, squash, cukes, corn, etc. It is all isolated, or commercial claimed isolated.

I'm happy to put together a care package as well.

Just PM me at your convenience and we can talk about stuff you think they'd enjoy growing.

I got some supers, I got from pepperlovers.com I purchased about two months ago I havent sown yet. If yer intrested ya know what to do buddy.

No isolated seeds, but happy to throw a few bones your way to help with postage. Btw need to stop by before the freeze if you got some goodness left! 28 degrees Monday!

Thanks again folks...WOW!

Rob...my garden ended during that week of barely freezing overnight temps a few weeks back. :(
Funny enough...the whole reason I composted, collected seeds, tested germination variables, and grew out a garden at home was to get an idea for the flow of what a year long project like this would require...so even though the kids are only a few months into it...I've been working on it for well over a year. And Rob...I think you've seen how effective good compost can be...huh... ;)

PS: Even in our advanced classes, we have to offer the most gifted of the gifted more challenges. There will be a team of about a half dozen students building a website for this project. I will link it when they have it up and running...hopefully shortly after Christmas break. We will also be asking donors if they would like their business names/logos posted on the site as well...a little advert-props to you.

Lunch;

i had forgot to mention in my earlier post, but i saw this, it may be a little expensive for school projects, but for an idea down the road, if you watn to do sail soil vs hydro, I found this little systme that i would like to try one day.

http://www.jrponics.com/

So they will end up harvesting after coming back to school the following year. Nice way to segway into the next year.

Great to read everyone's donating! Now what we would like to see in return *WG rollseyes*.

"a year long project, to compost, harvest seeds, dry, germinate, grow, and at the end of the year, sell the chile plants to the public to raise money for the science department." <<-- now that sounds like one heck of an exciting glog to follow \o/ Don't let us down and have the kids participate in the picture taking and writing updates, you know "home work," ;)

Edit: No need for pictures of the kids, I know many parents don't like their kids faces plaster on the net but plenty of peppers would certainly do the trick :)

Back