• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Living Proof

Some of you may know through my prior posts that I am beating epilepsy with the use of capsaicin. There has recently been one particular incident that proves beyond shadow of a doubt that there truly is something to this.

As a brief re-cap, I have complex-partial temporal lobe epilepsy as the result of a brain anyrysm sustained January 21st, 2006. Having been put on some very heavy anti-spasmatic, epilepsy medications(ie" Dilantin, Keppra, Topamax, Trileptal) I found very quickly that the medications themselves generated more seizure activity than not taking them... and so the experiment began.

In the summer of 2009, whilst living in Texas, my former girlfriend happened to recognize that my epileptic activity was decreased every time that I made my powerful salsa batches or consumed excessive heat either by sauce or peppers directly. Over the course of that summer I very slowly weaned my way off those dreadful medications and began a regular regiment of consuming heat.

I have gone from grande mals to generalized to petit complex-partial seizures over the last 3 years by way of regular capsaicin use. What I am having these days I tend to call "stalls in speech" as opposed to teeth chattering, shaking, flop-like-a-fish style electrical seizure activity.

What has recently made it all apparent happened this last Thursday, December 6th, 2012.

Lisa, my Goddess-half had made the observation that following our hike in the Berkeley hills this last Thursday I was started to show signs of aura and blank stare thereby exhibiting an "onset" at which time Lisa headed straight out back to one of my Goatsweed plants, pulled a pepper, broke it in half and upon returning to the room sat me down and shoved it in my mouth!

I honestly don't always realize when I am in an onset and so it was a shock to me not only that Lisa was intuitive of my electrical stupor but knew exactly what to administer. I'll be damned if at that moment "I did" recognize what she was doing and why, and I literally experienced an onset fade very quickly away as my body then struggled to cope with immediate ass-kicker heat blast that Lisa had just bestowed upon me. Within minutes my speech had returned, my posture powered back up with seizure held at bay. Amazing.

I can only be grateful to this discovery that works for me. I have a drivers' license, a very good job, a Beautiful girlfriend and as few and far in-between as my activity may be I now have one very powerful ally that has given back what was once taken from me... and THAT friends, is the absolute Truth.

I truly hope you are sharing this with some medical experts or journals. Then again, I've read that drug makers aren't too excited about the benefits of capsaicin, as people can grow their own (ie., there's no money to be made)...Although I've got to say, that capsaicin cream sold over the counter for arthritis isn't that cheap.

Please share your story with some medical experts. Even if it helps just one other person, think of how good that will be!

"Please share your story with some medical experts."

I most certainly have shared it with several. It falls on deaf ears for the most part with the exception of an east Indian doctor in Oakland whom is from Asam and knew exactly what the Bhut Jolokia's are. I'd like to speculate that that guy got on the horn with his physician buddies in India to let em' know what this "white guy" came up with as a means of combating this disease but chances are it fell to the wayside just like everyone else in the medical industry that I've shared it with.

I'd just assume share it here where the right people will read it and take note.

I am so happy to read your story, and to see that you are getting great results!

We are currently going through alternative and natural medicines for my daughter, who has a brain tumour and has gone through the entire round of chemo cycles and radiation. When you write about the cure being almost as bad as the condition it is completely true in all respects.

The formal medical community has no interest, or only feigned interested and lip service, when it comes to alternative medicines. We find out by word of mouth, checking online, and going through a lot of dubious people who are trying to take money from people in need of hope while offering nothing in return. But if you do your homework right you do come across alternatives that are real and that are a million times better than anything the pharmas and the fake reseach funded by the industry itself can ever provide.

That's way cool man! I'm glad something is working for you! I gotta be honest I'm a medical guy - I am in nursing school at the moment - and I'm usually a pretty big skeptic of natural/home remedies. Granted, there are some that work and are time true and proven, but then you have your snake oil salesmen as well. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that even though I am a skeptic, I just went through my neuro section in nursing class and I can tell you really know what you are talking about. It's evident that this really works for you and I'm stoked that the peppers that I love to eat can have such outstanding benefits. Keep spreadin the word man, I will on my end!

You should also look into a ketogenic diet as well. That being high fat, low carb, to the extent that your body is in ketosis (not ketoacidosis... There's a difference), meaning it's using ketone bodies (by products of fat metabolism) as well as glucose to fuel the brain. That, paired with chili peppers, and good old fashion leafy green veggies and bright colored veggies, should do wonders.

Look it up on Wikipedia if you want, and check out marksdailyapple.com for an idea on how to do it in real life for real life, not as just a medical treatment.

Nice, one can only hope the FDA does not move to make Capsaicin a controlled substance!

But if the FDA does make it a controlled substance...Let's see now. I can use shade cloth over my pepper plants so that the helicopters and planes won't see them from the air. Of course, there be one hell of a black market for chilies, especially here in the Southwest. Imagine what an ounce of habanero powder would go for! Then again, the cartels down south of here would get involved in more smuggling, which would lead to more Border Patrol jobs. It would be interesting.

But if the FDA does make it a controlled substance...Let's see now. I can use shade cloth over my pepper plants so that the helicopters and planes won't see them from the air. Of course, there be one hell of a black market for chilies, especially here in the Southwest. Imagine what an ounce of habanero powder would go for! Then again, the cartels down south of here would get involved in more smuggling, which would lead to more Border Patrol jobs. It would be interesting.

We should start a lobby for Medicinal Capsaicin... If we can just get it legalized in a few states I think the country as a whole will take notice.

This is fascinating. I've always compared seizures to a "short" in the human electrical system. Since capsaicin reduces the neuropeptide substance P that is carried by the nerves perhaps that helps clear the pathway and eliminates the short. I sure hope there are smarter people than me working on this.

Plan to pass this onto my boss, a doctor. he is open minded. fyi I'm a nurse. I have heard of the benefits of hot peppers with diabetics as well. I'm looking into this. I'm a diabetic care coordinator/nurse , so this is right up my alley, so to speak. :dance:

that is so cool and not hard for me to beleve , i heard a story about a drunk that, would chug some vinegar,supose to take alcohol smell away) then put 3 Tabasco peppers in his mouth when he got pulled over and it made him more alert and fooled a few officers, drinkin and driving not cool !! at all, but shows the power of the pepper, natural meds tend to have no side efects glad it helps you fuzebox,

Back