Hello From Wisconsin!

I posted in the making hot sauce forum, but since I've decided to jump in there, I might as well jump in here- right?

I'm a home gardener who has really become passionate about growing open-pollinated tomatoes and hot peppers. I grow lots of other things too, but those are my absolute favorites. If I had to limit what I grew, it would be tomatoes and hot peppers.

For the most part, I use my peppers in salsa. We love salsa of many kinds and heats, and I love playing with different peppers to get different flavors in the salsas. It was a great year for me pepper-wise and I finally had way too many peppers for just salsa-making, and it's been fun playing with them. I made my first hot sauce, and I have some peppers drying for making my own crushed red pepper flake type of product.

This year I grew Cascabella Chilies, Serranos, Maule's Red Hots, Bulgarian Carrot Peppers, Hinkelhatz, Aji Cristal, Georgia Flame and Bhut Jolokia. This coming year I plan to add a Jalapeno or two, maybe a habanero of some kind, and am always on the lookout for new chilies that have flavor. I'm not a big hot-head, but am more after the flavor hiding within those hot peppers. Bhut Jolokia totally surprised me with the flavor packed in those little guys. The best batch of salsa I made this year had the ghost pepper in it.

I don't think I'll be growing the Bulgarian Carrot Pepper again. Pretty little pepper, but it's got a really thick skin that makes it not very fun to eat or chop up. If I were a market grower I think I would grow it.

I would love to save my own seed from hot peppers, but my limited space prevents me from segregating my plants, so for now I will content myself with ordering seed. Seed Saver's Exchange has proven to be a great source of reliable seed for my peppers so far.

Anyway, I've been lurking here on and off for years, and thought I'd jump in and spend more time gleaning ideas for my peppers in years to come. There's nothing worse than a plant loaded with peppers, and no ideas for what to do with them.

:welcome: to THP - Greetings from the Metrolina of North Carolina[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]!
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background] "The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite"

If you grow any new peppers - make sure you grow DATILs !

:welcome: from the PacificNorthWest!

edit: You can just cover branches or parts of branches on your
pepper plants with Tulle cloth bags you can make yourself, or
use the vegetable produce mesh bags with drawstrings many
grovery stores sell. This will allow you to isolate some pods for
true seed production. You don't have to isolate the whole plant.

There are some good threads on this in the growing hot peppers
section. Have fun, LM!

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

Thanks all for the welcomes! I'm really excited to see so many pepper growers from Wisconsin- and even Chicago. One of the reasons I want to spend a bit of time here is to explore pepper varieties that I may not know about that grow well in our never predictable weather here.

Of course, as I'm going through threads, and looking at some of the grow lists, WOW! I need to find more growing space!

Back