• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hydroponic Mango Tree

Thought I'd give it a shot!
Its only just gone into the system, so hopefully its not dead by tomorrow!
P1030384.jpg

P1030383.jpg

P1030382.jpg

na not all of it, about 150ltrs perlite! and yeah even that cost me more than I wanted to spend for the project. I figure if this fails I can use it on my other projects.

lol i love it.
can you get peat in AU?
can always make some good ole fashioned peat-lite with that perlite if things dont go well.

So far so good! the system is running well. couple of very minor leaks around the tap and connectors there maybe a drip an hour, nothing to worry about.
but most importantly the plant is still alive! looking good no wilting! It may actually survive the transplant!

My timer bothers me though, I'm watering for 15 minutes out of every hour according to the timer but its actually running for 19 minutes and off for 41. I'm not sure how it does that. I thought if the timer was slow the hour cycle would drag out, but it actually sticks to one hour strictly but its only the 15 minutes on that is incorrect. I guess an extra 4 minutes during an australian summer wont hurt too much.
will put more pictures up when I have something new to show. new growth ...or death

lol i love it.
can you get peat in AU?
can always make some good ole fashioned peat-lite with that perlite if things dont go well.
I assume so? I've seen blocks of peat.
I've got several hydroponic baths, I can just make up another one if this thing fails. those are all different now! they look bare there but now the baths are completly full. will need to take some updated photos
IMAG0918.jpg

IMAG0920.jpg

P1030244.jpg

I have no idea!
its a few years old as is,but has had a hard life.what is left there is rootstock.
the main graft died,which is why i chose to experiment on this one.if this goes well i will attempt to graft a kengsington pride to it or i will buy a kensington plant to replace it. for now this is just to see if mango can survive and then thrive after being dug up and washed off.
sorry for horrible typing. phone does not like this forum

according to the nursery that this plant came from, the root stock is actually kensington pride. So assuming it lives I'm going to let it keep going!

one little sprout of new growth is dying, but other than that all the other new shoots look fine. Still green! still has its leaves

I was given a very healthy looking young kensington pride seedling today....so now I'm thinking I might pull that sucker out and put in my new seedling. I dont want to kill the original one, not sure what to do with it.

I'll follow this thread, got my own mango tree cutting from Canary Islands. Have no idea about what type of mango tree it is but it's sure exciting :) Mangos are by far my favorite fruit.

I have no idea what I'm doing really....so atleast if I kill them you guys will know what not to do!
bought all the gear yesterday to put together a second smaller setup for the original mango which I will take out very soon. I'll run it off the same reservoir but have it pumping for 15 minutes every hour while the other pump is off so I dont empty the reservoir too much. The second setup will be much smaller, I really didnt want to fork out for another 200 litres of growing medium. If it looks like its going to be worth while maybe I'll upgrade it at a later date.

this is my new plant! looks super extra healthy! for now..

IMAG1042_zps3bf07976.jpg

ok got it done!
bit of a rush job, but all functioning. Just need to fine tune the small one a bit. Tape up the clear hose, darken the clear plastic container and drill a hole or two for the tubes.
P1030397_zpsc5bd8177.jpg

P1030398-1_zps35f7ded5.jpg

its probably not practical at all......but since I've already got a reservoir and light inside I might see how one goes indoors. The seed has already sprouted roots I imagine it should be fairly quick to shoot up now.
Lets see if these suckers enjoy 18 hours of light!
P1030407_zps2455990e.jpg

The seed has sprouted you say, do you grow mangos from seed too? Wish I had your climate, not way I could ever put a mango tree outside here. Just have to see how big I can get it indoors!

Yes I've had two seeds semi sprout now...the one in the hydroponic setup has sprouted its tap root and I have one in a small pot and I uncovered it a little just to see if it was doing anything and it has many roots coming out of it and I think in a few days I'll have something break the surface.
This is the first time I've done anything with mangos, but my dad for years and years experimented sprouting mangos from seeds and buying plants and experimented with grafting.
He never had alot of success with growing his own mangos, until early this year where one tree produced two mangos, but it was too late for dad to see it. I'm determined to make this mango growing stuff work. This climate isn't perfect for mangos but they are definatly growable here in perth, Dads friends and family have had some very successfull trees over the years. Kensington Pride mangos seem to do well here.

update...bit of browning of the leaves on my new seedling. I think its sunburn! I never occured to me that this seedling needed to harden up a bit before being put in full sun. its burning up I think. The northern leaves have some browning and the southern side is perfectly green. I might see what I can do about providing a bit of shade for a few weeks.

The seed has sprouted you say, do you grow mangos from seed too? Wish I had your climate, not way I could ever put a mango tree outside here. Just have to see how big I can get it indoors!
go for it!! do one inside! maybe you can dwarf it? I think they just cut the tap root to do that. Wouldn't be too hard to find that information on the net. Its just hydroponic mango information thats hard to come by.

Back