• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering BS Yellow - Indoor Winter Grow

Few pictures of my two 7 Bs yellows that I started very late in the season so I've grown them entirely indoors. Finally starting to pod up! These are from seed which were open pollinated, haven't seen a pod that's true to form yet. Either way, fresh pods in New England winter! Shout out to Colorado Ronin for the seeds, thanks man.

Camera quality is just so-so, apologies.

Random tent shot:
34zmtz5.jpg

Pods:
mcvz4p.jpg

fkxnvp.jpg

Nice density, How many hrs a day for the light cycle, what size containers and will you pot up to a larger container before planting out next season ?

Greg

Nice density, How many hrs a day for the light cycle, what size containers and will you pot up to a larger container before planting out next season ?

Greg

Currently they're in 7 gallon plastic pots running 13 hrs of light a day. I've messed w/ the light cycles a few times, once they developed a little hearty foliage I was running 17 hrs/day. I knocked it down once they started to flower, truthfully I'm not sure if the longer dark cycle was beneficial for fruiting or not but they've responded well. I may, as the season approaches, throw them into 10gal pots. Right now I'm trying to keep the vegetative growth contained a bit due to space constraints.

Wow looking good man. I see they contained the brainyness at least! T5's are amazing lights.

I'm constantly amazed w/ how well they do. For "smaller" grows I have absolutely no issues w/ canopy penetration using T5s and they use so little electricity with next to no heat - best part!

Where in New England? We're having a pretty mild winter so far, eh?

No complaints here! I work in Boston and live in Northern Rhode Island. Here's to another winter like last year. VT eh? I was up in Burlington for the brewers festival this year, beautiful city.

---

Quickly on medium. I've grown these from seedling to present entirely in soil. I switched to FoxFarms Ocean Forest a while back, this stuff (kind of pricey depending on where you get it) is amazing. I may have fed these plants once.. maybe? I'm completely sold on this soil (No affiliation):

Oceanforest_1.5CF_8d025fce0ea09b07e4c6688410846b60.png

http://foxfarmfertil...ing-soil.html

Thanks for stopping by all! I'll get some better quality pod pictures up sometime this week.

Cheers,
Brandon

The duration of the light cycle whether longer lenths of light or dark periods have no influence on the plants ability to produce flowers or fruit. The longer light cycle will produce a denser stockier plant ( with the sufficent amount of light and correct color temp lamps). Too short of a light period can cause problems with pollen release. Once my plants get established I back down to a 14/10 cycle. But at no point during the indoor grow are the grow rooms completly dark because my lighting is setup to overlap cycles. The plants will receive either direct or indirect lighting depending which banks of lights are on. That works for me and I'll continue to take that route. Just remember if your plants are doing well with less light then you'll be saving money on the electricity At full swing I'm running close to 5kw of power.......that literally spins the electric meter............heh

No kidding, did you go to my tent? VT Beer Company, we were right next to 14th Star Brewery. There was a lot of amazing beer this year, especially at the afterparties.

Thats awesome! Im getting ready to do the same thing. Ive got several T5 units not being used.

A few questions for ya.

How tall and wide are the plants?

How many are you fitting under the 4' T5??

God Ild think 2 in 7 gallon buckets would be about the max if Im reading correctly your using a 4' x 4bulb T5 unit, but if you have more thats fantastic.

No kidding, did you go to my tent? VT Beer Company, we were right next to 14th Star Brewery. There was a lot of amazing beer this year, especially at the afterparties.

I must have, between the three of us I don't think we missed a tent (aside from the beers I can get anywhere, Harpoon etc). It was a great festival, tons of great beer and the amount of drink tickets was surprising as well. Hoping to get up there for it again next year.

Thats awesome! Im getting ready to do the same thing. Ive got several T5 units not being used.

A few questions for ya.

How tall and wide are the plants?

How many are you fitting under the 4' T5??

God Ild think 2 in 7 gallon buckets would be about the max if Im reading correctly your using a 4' x 4bulb T5 unit, but if you have more thats fantastic.

I agree about the 7gal, they'll probably stay there for a while. There are only 2 plants in the tent, it's really all I can fit into it. I've got two much larger tents but this particular one is only 4'x4'x6.5' and they're climbing up the walls side to side. I'd say they're probably ~3.5 feet tall.

Right on!
Lookin great!
I have a Yellow Bhut growing in my closet from seeds you sent me.
What size and brand tent are you using?

Hey man, hope all is well! This is my smallest tent at 4'x4'x6.5', I've got two different brands so I dont recall which one this is, I'll look when I get home. I recall it being very affordable. I'll let you know. That yellow was a slow grower all season, eh? Did it ever flower up for you?

Brandon great looking plants for indoor and the pods look good too :)

Thanks! I bit into a 80% ripe one yesterday because I couldn't wait any longer. I was interested to get an idea of heat level for two reasons:

1) While I don't water them too often, they don't ever seem to beg for water.
2) Being indoors the temps don't get too warm, especially now being winter. That and the T5s really don't produce much heat.

Turns out they're still hotter then hell. :hell:

The duration of the light cycle whether longer lenths of light or dark periods have no influence on the plants ability to produce flowers or fruit. The longer light cycle will produce a denser stockier plant ( with the sufficent amount of light and correct color temp lamps). Too short of a light period can cause problems with pollen release. Once my plants get established I back down to a 14/10 cycle. But at no point during the indoor grow are the grow rooms completly dark because my lighting is setup to overlap cycles. The plants will receive either direct or indirect lighting depending which banks of lights are on. That works for me and I'll continue to take that route. Just remember if your plants are doing well with less light then you'll be saving money on the electricity At full swing I'm running close to 5kw of power.......that literally spins the electric meter............heh

Great information! +1 and thank you.

Grown entirely indoors. Yellow Brain

T5s

Lookin' good man!! Your pods look a lot like mine.

8189391187_90a495b2d8_b.jpg

Grown entirely indoors. Yellow Brain

T5s

Chsy 83... care to give some info on conditions? I just put two each douglah, 7 pot yellow, tsmb and peach tab in soil last night and am curious to see how others are managing them indoors.

what size t5?

What size pots and tent?

How large are the plants and how'd they produce for ya?

I grew some bhuts and Caribbean red indoors last year under a 600 hps ... my main problem was space! Pepper plants grow very large and I soon ran out of room. I'm considering keeping these guys in smaller pots this time to keep them more manageable but not sure if they'll produce well or not in constrictive pots. Either that or just go with a single large plant... hit it hard with a strong light and baby it like an only child ...lol

....but you know what the problem is with that? How the hell do you decide which one!! ? ;)

Another issue was fruit set indoors. The Caribbean red could do no wrong ...very prolific indoors. The red bhut, butch t did nothing but grow monsterous! Chocolate bhut and yellow bhut produced ...but not all that great. Yellow better then chocolate - seems some just set fruit better then others.

Think I'm going to start a new thread on this to get some info on what strains worked with what setups.

Sorry for the hijack OP. :)

I agree with the Fox Farm products...I've been leaping with the "Happy Frog" for a couple of seasons now. As the starts get potted up into 2 gal containers I cut the Frog with Fafards Metro Mix, which stretches the cash alittle further.

Hey OZZZ,
Both the Red and Bhut are great peppers but different growth charactoristics. While the Caribbean Red stays somewhat short and shrublike (3ft) the Bhut can grow well over that indoors unless you can train or grid the branches to grow laterial. If I had to focus on a plant or two for the indoor grow only I'd certainly find one that stays short through the duration................maybe cross a 2/3ft Hab with a Super hot.......hmmm

Sorry for the hijack OP. :)

Ozz - Not a problem at all. I love the opportunity to learn more about what others are doing and their successes and failures, only helps my grows! Post away.

I agree with the Fox Farm products...I've been leaping with the "Happy Frog" for a couple of seasons now. As the starts get potted up into 2 gal containers I cut the Frog with Fafards Metro Mix, which stretches the cash alittle further.

I actually just bought a few bags of the Happy Frog (on sale) myself, I've yet to use it. Glad to hear it's working nicely for you, duly noted on cutting it w/ the mix. Lots of great information, thanks for all the input! Very helpful.

Back