• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vermiculite vs. Perlite

Hey all.

I'm starting to gather the things I need for january to start growing.

I've already bought 4 litres of perlite and some peat moss. (gonna buy some sand and potting mix soon)

My question is - if I'm using perlite is there any need to use vermiculite? Or has vermiculite got some extra pros over perlite?

I did a search, but the soil threads are confusing and lengthy without me finding a straight answer to the question.

Cheers!

Ps - I'm asking mainly cause my store bought ones use both.

I'm very new to gardening but I will add I heard that vermiculite is the better way to go over perlite. I'm not sure if what I heard was preference or what but that's what I heard.

I use both, perlite is a great aerator especially when mixing heaving potting mediums.
Vermiculite has been added to my fine screened seed starting mix, it helps to prevent damping off of the seedlings. I've also cloned with straight vermiculite. Depending on the grade and type vermiculite it can be extremely dusty and irratating to breathe.

If your main interest is to start seeds then I'd stay away from the perlite, especially if using small seed flats. You want to gain as much root zone as possible in the early growth of the seedlings. The perlite will use up considerable space.

When I plant outdoors I'll add plenty of perlite to the dense bags of worm castings before mixing that into the rest of the medium.

Good luck with the startup...

Greg

Cheers Greg! I'll probably try stay away from perlite until I transfer out of solo cups into pots then.

No idea what grade it is, seeing as a few litres in a bag just said バーミキュライト followed by a load of characters I don't understand and my wife wouldn't be able to translate (feels weird saying that, got married ten hours ago!). If it helps with damping off, seems the few dollars are a wise investment!

Perlite is good for aerating the soil. Vermiculite as well as aerates holds nutrients. Like Greg said there are different grades from fine dusty medium to course. I use a fine grade vermiculite as well as perlite. Throw in some worm castings and compost along with some sand and you have yourself a nice potting mix.

I spied some fermented pine bark there to. Phone had run out of battery so I couldn't look at the soil thread. I have to go to that area of the city tomorrow anyway, so having read more I will be purchasing more stuff (spotted some magnesium lime as well, super cheap).

I did start to laugh that the bag of cow manure literally translated as 'black cow shit' :D
I'm guessing that's possibly bad for fragile seedlings so I didn't indulge.

I spied some fermented pine bark there to. Phone had run out of battery so I couldn't look at the soil thread. I have to go to that area of the city tomorrow anyway, so having read more I will be purchasing more stuff (spotted some magnesium lime as well, super cheap).

I did start to laugh that the bag of cow manure literally translated as 'black cow shit' :D

If the "Black cow shit" is fully composted, it is harmless to the seedlings. Good luck with your grow.

Cheers Greg! I'll probably try stay away from perlite until I transfer out of solo cups into pots then.

No idea what grade it is, seeing as a few litres in a bag just said バーミキュライト followed by a load of characters I don't understand and my wife wouldn't be able to translate (feels weird saying that,
got married ten hours ago!). If it helps with damping off, seems the few dollars are a wise investment!

congratulations man!

Becareful with the Black Cow Crap......not only it can be a playground for pests if used indoors it still might be high in uric acid. Any high dose of Nitrogen will burn the seedlings.
Word of advice, stay simple with the medium, coir, peat, vermiculite and combo of those or whatever else is available for seed starting. Once the seedlings get a footing then you can use a diluted Kelp product for the roots and a Fish Emulsion (if available) diluted in a misting bottle for a foliar feed.
When in doubt how much to use, read the label and cut it in half to be safe. Some chemicals can become very concentrated especially at the bottle of the bottle if not shaken up occasionally. When the plants sre up and running post some photos...

Greg

No idea what grade it is, seeing as a few litres in a bag just said バーミキュライト followed by a load of characters I don't understand and my wife wouldn't be able to translate (feels weird saying that, got married ten hours ago!). If it helps with damping off, seems the few dollars are a wise investment!

Wow, sorry I missed that when a skimmed through this....congrats..........Tell me your on a Honeymoon and this is the only free time you have..... :cool:

… I did start to laugh that the bag of cow manure literally translated as 'black cow shit' :D
Becareful with the Black Cow Crap......not only it can be a playground for pests if used indoors it still might be high in uric acid. Any high dose of Nitrogen will burn the seedlings.
Word of advice, stay simple with the medium, coir, peat, vermiculite and combo of those or whatever else is available for seed starting. Once the seedlings get a footing then you can use a diluted Kelp product for the roots and a Fish Emulsion (if available) diluted in a misting bottle for a foliar feed. …

I agree and don’t use anything on my seedlings but once my plants get 8 to 10 inches high I add dried out chicken manure dust in small quantities to the soil. I harvest the chicken manure making sure that there are no bugs in it, regardless during the drying stage (can be several weeks) it’s in an air tight bag which kills anything in there. I stop the drying stage when it can be turned into dust for usage or storage. AFAIK chicken manure is great for peppers. That said I’d stay away from cow manure for any of my peppers.

*** BTW do not use fresh chicken manure as the high nitrogen content can burn up your plants or just damage the roots. It must be allowed to dry out reducing that high nitrogen content.

Edit: I do add other stuff, organic but didn't mention here

No honeymoon until the new year I'm afraid.

Interesting points to consider there..
I saw some coir in compressed bricks that you just rehydrate. Almost got some.

Definitely gonna do a glog. Hopefully I can get the seedlings going with the aquarium lights I have spare, then it's gonna warm up enough to bring them out in the sunshine fast.

Summer is hot and humid, it will be interesting to see how they take to it. A couple of the varieties, probably not many people growing them here!

Listen to your elders. (pic1) and or windchicken. They harvest lots not because they plant many if the same varities. But their plants produce well. They know how to grow. Pic was nice to share the article written about him.

As for me. Only use perilote on potting mix and not during germing. Good luck buddy

I'll ignore the fact that sounds a little patronising, cause I appreciate your input. Agreed, and I will take their advice. All the best!

It was a real eye opener, not gonna use perlite until roots set decently.

Can't wait to get growing!

So far so good with my over wintering with a mix of peat, bark compost,sand and 2 to one respectively vermiculite to perlite.
Wanted to learn lessons before germination, but all the advice I read seems to be good thus far.

im fairly new to hot pepper gardening, i had success with Jalapenos, but my reapers, ghosts didnt produce.

Right now i have a Bolivian Rainbow, Carolina Reaper, 2 - 7 pot reds and a Bhut Jalokia in containers and 4" pots.

this up coming season id like to see some flower production and fruit...

reading this thread has informed me about soil mixtures for seedling and potting stages.. thinking on trying the vermiculite for seedlings and the coir mixed with perlite and worm castings when I plant in pots and my 8ft x 3ft raised bed..

Any other info would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Perlite and vermiculte are pretty much opposites.

Perlite aerates the soil and does not really hold water. It increase drainage.
Vermoculite is almost like tiny bits of kitchen sponge and holds water & nutrients. Similar to peat moss in a way I guess.

IMO there's not much point in using both, one just sort of counteracts the other. i.e you add perlite to increase drainage, then if you add some vermilite its just going to decrease drainage again. 

I just use a seed starting mix from a trusted brand and bottom water.. gets me 95-100% germ rate and no dead seedlings from damping off. Also some fertilizer is already added that is for seedling growth.

Of course I use a heat mat too.

I just find this is simpler and cheaper than making a mix and I get great results. If you use a good brand than the professionals have done the thinking for you and you can just enjoy the growing.

Not saying don't make your own mix, just saying it can be easier if you wish and still get great results. Congrats on your wedding :)

In the nursery, we use a mix that is 80% composted pine bark fines, 10% peat, and 10% sand, with dolomitic lime.  No perlite or vermiculite, whatsoever.  It grows really great, and lasts about 3 years.  Some of the best mix I've ever used, for just fertilizing and forgetting.

Vermiculite is not a good amendment if you live in a humid climate.  If you want to hold nutrients, use biochar, or activated carbon.  In dry climates, you don't want perlite.  I

my vote: I use both... Actually I use pumice, perlite, and vermiculite (heavier on the perlite in the seedling mix, and heavier on the pumice in the growing soil; I use heavier vermiculite in the seedling mix, but still use it in the growing soil)

Back