• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Growth Regulators

okay so this is going to be a thread to disscuss Pgrs and their uses.. i know many people dont like them for whatever reason. its up to them but myself and a couple people on chiligrower find some interesting reads about plant growth regulators.... if anyone has more info to add be my guest and add it this is some of what i found..

Class functions Practical uses

Auxi Shoot elongation Thin tree fruit, increase rooting and flower formation

Gibberellins Stimulate cell division and elongation Increase stalk length, increase flower and fruit size

Cytokinins Stimulate cell division Prolong storage life of flowers and vegetables and stimulate bud initiation and root growth

Ethylene generators Ripening Induce uniform ripening in fruit and vegetables

Growth inhibitors Stops growth Promote flower production by shortening internodes

Products are safe to eat, crop and harvest after plant treatments at recommended concentrations.
Natural organic product. Breaks down naturally as plants grow.

This plant growth regulator can be found naturally in plants. Used on a wide range of food crops worldwide.
Routinely used for the production of seedless grapes in Europe, USA, Australia, South Africa and South America.
Classified as a plant growth regulator it can have a number of commercially important effects on how plants grow.
Gibberellic Acid can affect growth by its effect on cell growth and cell elongation. Such effects are often seen in stem growth as well as root growth. Stems and inter nodal lengths can be increased and a better more extensive root system develop. Increases in cell division can also sometimes be seen in the production of larger leaves. GA leads to bigger plants with bigger shoots and leaves in many plants. Bigger plants produce bigger crop yields.Gibberellic acid can be used as a seed dormancy breaker. It is most effective on rosette plants that have a cold dormancy requirement for germination. Though dormancy breaking and germination improvement can be seen in a number of genera.

Germination seed dormancy of a number of Carnivorous or insectivorous plants can be broken by using a solution of Gibberellic Acid.

Used for the production of standard and half standard plants. Can be used on Fuchsia, Rose, Hibiscus (both hardy and tropical varieties), Ficus, Vitis, and a range of fruit crops when a strong stem is trained to a cane to build a framework.

Longer flower stems can be produced on a range of 'florist' flower crops. In addition flower size can sometimes be achieved. Treating flower buds before opening with a solution of Gibberellic acid can lead to huge flower increases in a range of different flowers.
Science and horticulture use Gibberellic Acid for the following benefits in a range of plants. Now also available for hobbyists and enthusiastic amateurs or anyone who grows plants. It is easy to mix, use and apply to plants growing anywhere.
Plant growth regulator Gibberellic Acid used on plants
  • Increase plant or crop yield
  • Enable greater photosynthesis and plant metabolism
  • Allow the production of bigger leaves, and bigger root system
  • Increase cell growth in stems,leaves and roots
  • Used for production of elongated stems in plants grown as standard and half-standard horticulture crops.
  • Can be used to increase stem length in a number of flower crops grown for the flower trade.
  • Increase flower size
  • Improve establishment and growth of young plants produced from cuttings, seed or plugs.
  • Used to help plants suffering nutrient and growth deficiencies.

PGR’s are compounds that effect root growth, flowering, stem elongation or shortening. They can be either synthetic compounds that mimic the role of natural hormones, or they can be hormones extracted from plant tissue.

PGR's, are applied as either a foliar spray or a liquid drench to the root zone.
There are 5 groups of PGR's:

1. Auxins: These produce several growth responses in plants including the formation of adventitious roots, promotion of apical dominance, flower formation and fruit-set and growth. Common examples of auxins include NAA (naphthyl-acetic-acid) and IBA (indole-butyric-acid). These are used to stimulate root growth in cuttings.
2. Gibberellins: These are used to stimulate cell division and elongation. They break seed dormancy and induce flowering. Gibberellic acid, for example, can be used to influence the timing of flowering, flower gender and flower size.
3. Cytokinins: These can be useful for stimulating cell division, inducing shoots and delaying aging and death (senescence). Benzyl-amino-purine (BA6) is a common cytokinin used for inducing side branching. This is useful for the development of short, bushy plants.
4. Ethylene: Used for promoting ripening, inducing leaf drop (abscission) and senescence. Ethylene is commonly used to ripen fruit in preparation for sale.
5. Abscisic Acid (ABA): This is a plant growth inhibitor. It causes abscission of leaves, fruits and flowers and causes stomata to close. During periods of drought when stomata are closed, high concentrations of ABA are found in leaf guard cells.

Very interesting! I'm definitely looking at dwarfed plants, I don't want something 6ft tall on my balcony that I need to move indoors when there's a typhoon.

Very interesting! I'm definitely looking at dwarfed plants, I don't want something 6ft tall on my balcony that I need to move indoors when there's a typhoon.

If you send me a SASBE, I can give you some seeds from my dwarf triton peppers! These were developed by Utah State University, and I have pictures if you want.

You can also dwarf plants by blasting their lower stems with blue light from LEDs. I believe that the blue light causes a reduction in auxin, which allows the plants to have tighter nodes.

Very kind, but the reason I am gonna try make plants as small as possible is lack of space. I can't add any more to my grow list or my wife will go nuts!
My apartment in Tokyo is pretty small. Perhaps in 2014.
Thanks anyway

Very kind, but the reason I am gonna try make plants as small as possible is lack of space. I can't add any more to my grow list or my wife will go nuts!
My apartment in Tokyo is pretty small. Perhaps in 2014.
Thanks anyway

Perhaps you could use the blue LEDs I was talking about. I can give you a link to a reddit post about it, but the premise is to use it for vegetation and the first two weeks of flowering.

From what I understand PGRs are all found in one form or another in the environment and will affect plant growth but you are talking about isolating them and controlling the dosage given to plants?

Sounds like the same sort of thing that happened with the discovery of how NPK affects plant growth.... so why don't people like using them? I mean some people only will use organic fertiliser, is that the objection they have to using PGRs?

From what I understand PGRs are all found in one form or another in the environment and will affect plant growth but you are talking about isolating them and controlling the dosage given to plants?

Sounds like the same sort of thing that happened with the discovery of how NPK affects plant growth.... so why don't people like using them? I mean some people only will use organic fertiliser, is that the objection they have to using PGRs?
yes thats exactly what it is mega... the isolation of the hormone from PLANTS... why people dont like them? i have no idea.. i have been told that they are highly disliked here on thp and one member stopped mentioning them all together because of that reason.... if i could get some comments on to why thy are disliked that would be cool...

i use it.
mainly cause i don't want a bag of cow crap or a worm farm in my apartment, NPK is alot easier.

Screw organic, this is Tokyo! you've all seen Godzilla, i'm shooting for the pepper version of that ;)

i use it.
mainly cause i don't want a bag of cow crap or a worm farm in my apartment, NPK is alot easier.

Screw organic, this is Tokyo! you've all seen Godzilla, i'm shooting for the pepper version of that ;)

Yeah but it was mankind messing with the mysteries of nature (nuclear bombs) that turned a small lizard into a giant city destroyer!

If scientists keep researching and using these PGRs it can only lead to massive killer chilies :O !

And organic doesn't even matter that much to the plant, its more of reducing your effect on the environment.

Plants don't discriminate with nutrients, nitrogen is nitrogen, and phosphorus is phosphorus. All the nutrient cations are displaced by hydrogen ions that the roots pump out. Once these nutrient cations are displaced and therefore available, then they are uptaken by the roots.

So people who worry about these growth regulators really have nothing to worry about. Plants don't look at something as "non-organic" and thus react differently.

Buying organic is good for the environment and renewable agricultural practices, but don't equate that to better for the plant.

And organic doesn't even matter that much to the plant, its more of reducing your effect on the environment.

Plants don't discriminate with nutrients, nitrogen is nitrogen, and phosphorus is phosphorus. All the nutrient cations are displaced by hydrogen ions that the roots pump out. Once these nutrient cations are displaced and therefore available, then they are uptaken by the roots.

So people who worry about these growth regulators really have nothing to worry about. Plants don't look at something as "non-organic" and thus react differently.

Buying organic is good for the environment and renewable agricultural practices, but don't equate that to better for the plant.

I think you are somehow missing the point when it comes to many peoples reasons for organic choices. Its not about the nutrients themselves but creating an equilibrium and self supporting eco system in your growing environment to reduce or eliminate the need for extensive pest and disease control and the continued reliance on chemicals and companies for healthy productive crops.

Maybe you should do a little research into a company called Monsanto to see why many people choose organic practices.

I am not saying I am right you are wrong or anything like that merely stating the real reasons many people choose organic in the long run

I think you are somehow missing the point when it comes to many peoples reasons for organic choices. Its not about the nutrients themselves but creating an equilibrium and self supporting eco system in your growing environment to reduce or eliminate the need for extensive pest and disease control and the continued reliance on chemicals and companies for healthy productive crops.

Maybe you should do a little research into a company called Monsanto to see why many people choose organic practices.

I am not saying I am right you are wrong or anything like that merely stating the real reasons many people choose organic in the long run

I don't know if you read my whole post, because I did state that organic should be chosen for its environmental effects. I was just clearing up the misconception that a lot of people have that if something is not organic, then it is harmful. Which in this thread, could be really detrimental because we are talking about growth hormones, which is why I wanted people to keep what I said in mind.

Also, Monsanto is kind of a bad example because you are looking at an extreme anti-organic example. There are plenty of small companies that aren't organic and still care about the environment.

I don't know if you read my whole post, because I did state that organic should be chosen for its environmental effects. I was just clearing up the misconception that a lot of people have that if something is not organic, then it is harmful. Which in this thread, could be really detrimental because we are talking about growth hormones, which is why I wanted people to keep what I said in mind.

Also, Monsanto is kind of a bad example because you are looking at an extreme anti-organic example. There are plenty of small companies that aren't organic and still care about the environment.

Yeah I did read your whole thread, however I don't think people necessarily have to have a view to saving the environment to use organics and that is where I said I believe you missed the point and why a lot of people currently utilise organics for whole different reasons. One being a better balanced overall garden ecosystem and thus plant health in the long term and less/no reliance on any other company/product if that is so desired by the grower.

Non-organics has an absolute and continual need for outside inputs and continual draw on Money through fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides and possibly/eventually hybrid seeds once they are the only plants with enough vigour to survive in the depleted soil-food-web you inadvertently end up creating in the long run.

Again this is simply my outlook on the way I see it. I see nothing wrong with your opinion as it is yours and yours alone and that is your choice, however I believe you have some misconceptions about what and why organic practices are chosen by many people. The Environment in my view is only a part of the whole picture. Plant Vigour, Human Health, Less/no outside inputs needed, a creation of a self sustainable eco-system/garden, natural selection of vigorous genetics without hybridisation, immediate and long term benefts to the soil structure and yes less pollution are all parts of the bigger picture.

Back