• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stupid Jerk's stupid grow log for jerks

I think it is safe to say that my girlfriend now regrets bringing home a cayenne plant this July. It sparked an interest in me that has lead me to spend countless hours reading about gardening, filling the windows and balcony with plants and seedlings, purchasing a grow light, and ultimately joining a community garden. I've decided it is time I start documenting my journey.

Grow list:
7 Pot Congo Yellow (Denniz)
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Jonah (Denniz)
7 Pot Primo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Red (Denniz)
7 Pot SR Congo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper (socalchilehead)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (ajijoe)
Black Pearl
Black Cobra (smokemaster)
Bhut Jolokia
Butch T (Denniz)
Butch T x Douglah (Denniz)
Carolina Reaper
Cherry
Chile Tepin (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7 pot (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Habanero (ajijoe)
Datil
Fatalii
Fresno (Grocery Store Pod)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Pogeys)
Morouga Scorpion (Denniz)
Purple Jalapeno
Red Habanero
Scotch Bonnet (Turns out to be an Anuum, so we'll call these Notch Bonnets)
Scotch Bonnet Foodorama (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Yellow (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Red (socalchilehead)
Surprise Hot Mix (ajijoe)
Thai (Grocery Store Pod)
White Bullet
Yellow Brainstrain (Denniz)

These are plants that I have obtained as adults:

Aji Yellow (smokemaster)
Habanero (home depot)
Peach Bhut (smokemaster)
White Pearl (smokemaster)
Yellow 7 Pot (smokemaster)

I have a limited amount of space, so most varieties will only have one plant in the ground.

Here is a before picture of the garden:
pwhDt.jpg

It's a 400 sq foot plot and over half of it was filled with nutsedge. I have since pulled out the nutsedge and hopefully most of the roots. Filled a massive wheelbarrow with all that I pulled out. I tried eating one of the tubers because I read they were edible, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was the consistancy of an almond, but the taste of a dirty pine needle. Maybe they are good roasted.

Growing in the ground is going to be a new adventure that I am no way prepared for. I suppose I need to do a soil test before I attempt to amend the soil. Completely organic is the plan, but I've seen a few tiny green balls in the soil, and as far as I know that means slow release Miracle Gro. On the positive side(I think?) there is a bark mulch that is mixed through the entire garden that has started breaking down throughout. You can see some of it near the pavement in the first picture. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to chime in. I built a fence with 2x8's around the bottom. I plan on having a 2' wide 8" raised bed around the perimeter along with 3 raised beds in the center. The ones in the center may have to wait a while unless I find someone getting rid of some wood. In the mean time I plan on just mounding the ground up in those areas. I see a lot of my neighbors still have chili plants with ripe or ripening pods on them, but I think I'm waiting until mid January to early February to plant them out.(edit: planted out in March) It hasn't frosted since I moved here, but I supposed it is possible.(edit: It happened this year)

That is a great spot and with the property amended you probably wont need much. Good luck with that mint it could be a pain to get rid. The plan setup sound great, but yea just wait it out until your certain I wont take the top plastic off until mid Jan once the baby plants are well established. You have a great list there and especially the establish plants. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Nice walk good, sounds like something for next to the pool this summer. Any mint I grow is going in a container, that's for sure.

Thanks stc, I'm reading through your grow log and a few others. So much to learn.

Socal: I think I need to invest in some plastic. I have a bunch of plants inside that will very soon be too big for me to keep here. The established plants are from smokemaster(very knowledgeable guy, he's been growing peppers since you thought Anaheims were hot). He was very kind to give me the plants.

I'll post some pics of the plants that have graduated to the balcony when I get back home. Until then, here are some pics of my peppers, lettuce, and a few other things under my t5:

15g5d.jpg

N6307.jpg

As you can see, I had some overwatering issues in the past which led to some fungus gnat issues. Everything seems to be recovering now.

(Sorry if the formatting is weird, posting from my phone)

With be following with interest.

If you aren't planting out until February I think your best bet would be to dig in some sheep manure (any manure really but I think sheep manure is the business for acid loving plants but make sure it isn't fresh or it may need longer to break down) and dig some Lucerne straw into the soil as well and mushroom compost and then mulch the whole garden bed with Lucerne straw on top.

Why you may ask??
A. The amendments will build up the soil and ensure it has good readily available nutrients when planting and the microorganisms are well fed.
B. The amendments will help stop compacting of the soil and also aid in a good texture and friability.
C. The Lucerne mulch will feed, stop compaction of the soil and also help keep seeds and weeds out of your grow space until its time for planting.
D. Once it comes time for planting you can simply dig a small hole for each plant without disturbing the soil too much again and allowing weed seeds to enter and knowing everything you need is in the soil and will continually break down and feed the plants throughout the entire season and keep a steady temperature and moisture level.

That's what I would do in your situation anyway. Best of luck in the season ahead!!

SJ. Welcome to the community. This is my second year here and it's ever even great. Great members with knowledge of life and growing. Definately will have ups and downs. I say please do heed the advice of the growers here. You will learn so much and get te same results if you follow them. There's a few SoCal growers here. I see you have met Fernando. Shane STC is based in poway but makes occasional visits to our neck of the woods. Theres Smokemaster who is a guy very knowledgable. And lives next to a nursery. I myself live in the SGV area as us MR POTs. His sister is out in the IE along with doc... Can't forget Eric (Spongey) who's in SD. I've had the priveledge to meet all except doc and Fernando. If ever you need references or aid. All is here to help. And if your in my area. Hit me up. Maybe have a mojito with them mints you have there.

Wow Trippa, thanks for all of the info. I think I'm probably going to do just as you said with the material I can find. I'll probably use steer manure as I think it is easier to find in the states, I can pick up a cubic foot bag for 98 cents at Lowes. I'll have to look around for the lucerne straw.

I'm planning on transplanting some greens and planting some root vegetables next week, so I'll probably rope off part of the garden for that and then do your plan on the rest.

What are your thoughts on raised beds? My main reason for wanting to do them was to avoid compacting from accidentally stepping in a bed, and to be able to build the soil up higher using the barriers. I wouldn't put a weed cloth under as I would like to encourage deeper root growth. I guess I could just mound it up and mark the beds off with some kind of string.

Also, how does everyone feel about double digging? I know it is a lot of work, but I would only ever do it once, then stick to just adding to the top. Is it worth it?

Denniz, thanks for the warm welcome, I've been trying to absorb as much as I can. I'm in the SFV, only one letter off, but quite a few miles.

I would only bother with raised beds (is this your communal garden plot??) If you were going to perservere for a few seasons or was concerned about soil depth/quality or drainage problems. Other then that I would be more inclined to mound planting rows a small amount then construct raised beds at this stage

+1 what Trippa said. Raised beds are good for drainage, chillies hate being waterlogged. If the soil already drains its not necessary.

I've used sheep manure mixed with mushroom compost in my garden this season, (plus some other stuff to increase drainage) and have had awesome results.

I'll be following your glog to see how it all goes :)

Finally had a chance to take some pictures of my balcony plants.

First up, my Habanero:

lPtHV.jpg

This was a Bonnie Plant that I got at Home Depot. It is the only survivor from the plants I purchased. The other two fell victim to chronic over-watering.

AJeGp.jpg

As you can see it still has pods on it and is putting out flowers. I don't know if it is the part of the LA I live in or that I'm on a balcony, but I seem to be luckier than others in the socal area when it comes to cold damage. It's a little droopier right now because it got down to 37 last night, but I think it will recover.

Next up is the Peach Bhut. A battle between broad mites and lacewings was waging war on the plant and the lacewings were out numbered. All of the leaves were falling off except for a little new growth at the bottom. I thought the plant was on its last legs, so I cut it back majorly in hopes that it would help the new growth at the bottom.

Here is a series of pictures starting on 11/7. Can't remember exactly when I cut it back, but I think it was at least a week earlier.
11/7:
NtYgc.jpg

11/21:
Bp6X4.jpg

12/4:
D56Uf.jpg

12/28:
FTj0G.jpg

I'm pleased with the progress.

Your cutbacks are bouncing back like a "racket ball"...........fast !

I wish I'd live where plants could grow year round outdoors...........I'm stuck using my lights 4 months out of year................. :tear:

Now thats a nice size plot for a residential area. Good luck with the 2013

Greg.

I lived in Wicker Park, near Division and Damen. I never grew anything there, I was too concerned about keeping myself warm to worry about plants.

You’ve made incredible progress with the plot, nice shots off the balcony and you’re Peach Bhut is making a fast grow back from the hair cut. I had to do the same with one of my Hab’s but also cut back root ball and re-potted. While it’s coming back, certainly not as fast as yours … Keep up the great work and don’t forget to take a break for a Mojito :)

BTW what should we call you, noticed on your profile for name you have "No thanks," and I don't like calling you "StupidJerk," lol

You can call me Carson. When I used the name StupidJerk to sign up I hadn't planned on posting anything. Let that be a lesson.

Well my Saturday in the garden didn't pan out. It was raining and cold all day.

Trippa: I've had no luck finding straw around here, and I've been told mushroom compost is like $6 a cu ft, which is too much for me. Maybe one of the SoCal guys can give me a cheaper alternative for my region. In the mean time I have about 200 lbs of manure in my car and it's not pleasing the lady friend.

Well my Saturday in the garden didn't pan out. It was raining and cold all day.

Trippa: I've had no luck finding straw around here, and I've been told mushroom compost is like $6 a cu ft, which is too much for me. Maybe one of the SoCal guys can give me a cheaper alternative for my region. In the mean time I have about 200 lbs of manure in my car and it's not pleasing the lady friend.

dudeee.... walmart.... when they have it its like $3/bag.. dont recall the size... but dont think they have any ....

I haven't updated lately, busy with work and life. I had to do something about the impending cold, so I made a makeshift greenhouse out of some PVC pipe and plastic sheeting. I would bring the plants inside as Denniz suggested, but I have a cat that eats plants like their candy, and I'm sure as hell not locking him in the bedroom at night. I took some pictures, but they are a little too dark and I'm sure you can imagine what it looks like.

I'm slowly but surely getting the soil amended at the garden. The good news is that after next Friday I'll have more free time than I know what to do with, so I'll get it done quick.

Back